Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
daily driver mpg on 3.6 now that you have some miles put on engine?

Not what your computer says but actually doing the mpg calculation.............

Thanks !:thumbsup:

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
2011/2012/2013 or 2014 model?

·
Registered
2019 JEEP CHEROKEE
470 Posts
On my 2012 in town i avg 13.8 to 14.2 mpg and with 91 gas on the freeways ( this is to the track which is 75 miles) im getting 20 to 22 mpg and mostly i try to keep it in the ECO MODE. I havnt had it on a long trip yet. I keep the tire air pressure at cold 36 and they go up to 40 to 42 after heating up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
Sorry if this has been discussed :eek:
No you're not. Otherwise you would have searched for the MPG thread. :lol:

Actually some topics deserve a fresh look. Most of the mpg reports in the other thread are with cars barely broken in. Some new reports might paint a better picture.

Right now mine show 10.8. But, my speedometer/odometer were not working one day. The system registered the gas being used, but not the miles.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee 4x4
393 Posts
Haven't done the actual calculations, but my computer usually shows between 17.5 and 18.5 for my daily commute. Granted, I have a fairly heavy foot from a stop and usually do 70-80 mph on the toll on my way to work/home. My wife can make it show 20 since she drives more like an old lady.

·
Registered
2012 GCO
1,388 Posts
Not sure why this in in the SRT area. :lol:

At 28k miles mine's about the same as when new. I'm getting about 1 more than the EPA estimate.

·
Premium Member
12 GC Overland
221 Posts
^^^ I thought the same thing. Might get better replies in the right section.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I pretty much think asking others their mpg is an exercise in futility. Everyone drives differently, and mpg will vary widely by driving habits. The numbers on the window sticker will give you a ballpark figure of where you can expect mpg to be. Look there for an approximate average and figure in your driving style to come up with a number that might be close for you. Especially with the mode flexibility available with the JGC, you will get really divergent figures from a random survey.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I hand calculate after every tank / fill up. Here are my last 5. I have 11k miles now:

That includes a 9 mile commute each way M-F to and from work, but probably never exceeding 40mph (traffic) as well as heading up to the mountains (150 miles per weekend round trip, at least) on the weekends.

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,884 Posts
I hand calculate after every tank / fill up. Here are my last 5. I have 11k miles now:

That includes a 9 mile commute each way M-F to and from work, but probably never exceeding 40mph (traffic) as well as heading up to the mountains (150 miles per weekend round trip, at least) on the weekends.
Have you compared your results with what the vehicle computes?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

That sounds pretty good ! :D
Your daily driving sounds like mine .

I haven't bought one yet but its critical I get 18 mpg.
I cannot afford the 12( winter) 13-14 (summer) my 06 wk 4.7 AND,
a car payment . I know it dosent sound like much but it will be just enough to work.
As I scan thru older threads about this alot were saying alot less under same conditions . But most of those posts were from people just looking at their computer info display. You cannot get a accurate mpg doing that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee 4x4
393 Posts

a car payment . I know it dosent sound like much but it will be just enough to work.
As I scan thru older threads about this alot were saying alot less under same conditions . But most of those posts were from people just looking at their computer info display. You cannot get a accurate mpg doing that :rolleyes:
Well, no, of course not. But I'm sure most of us didn't buy a JGC....or a Jeep for that matter....for the fuel economy. I traded in a 2012 Nissan Juke with 10k on it for mine. It got about 23mpg on my daily commute, which isn't great, but certainly better than what I'm getting in the JGC. I got the JGC because I knew it would be a better overall vehicle for me and my family, plus the driving experience is much improved over what I came from. And I can live with the fuel economy. Still better than my '11 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with 5.13s and 37's.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts

If you're cutting things that close, what are you going to do if gas prices spike 50 cents or a buck a gallon? That's certainly possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Three fillups in, calculated with math(!), I've gotten the following in my 2014:

I have an 18 mile commute, with 15 of it highway miles. I usually cruise at 75 on the highway. The rest is probably 60/40 city to highway driving.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Have you compared your results with what the vehicle computes?

Not recently. It is normally 1-2mpg more than what I'm actually getting, but then again it all depends on how I'm driving. I usually leave my dash screen setting on the "Fuel Economy" setting, and while driving I try to keep the bar to the right of the average arrow thing.

That EVIC calculation can be easily fooled though... as my work commute makes it drop, but at night if I go for a decent drive cruising the highway at 55-65mph, I can get it to jump up considerably.

I trust it about as far as I can spit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're cutting things that close, what are you going to do if gas prices spike 50 cents or a buck a gallon? That's certainly possible.
Well............Hopefully that wont happen :)

Have you sat in a 05-10 wk lately compared to the wk2's ? :lol:

I really couldnt believe how much nicer they were. I was in one with the X package . I'm 6'4" and 280lb's ;
I had head room
I had leg room( actually had to move the seat forward ! :D )
I had alittle more foot room from side to side.
My right knee didnt hit the ctr console as soon
My left arm actually matched up with the door arm rest ( wouldn't need a pillow :D )
Telescopic steering coluum
Shall I go on ? :p
With a very low interest rate and the better fuel economy I would actually come out better each check then the 3 years I have left on the 06 .........
If the gas mileage is 4 or 5 mpg better.

I can afford the gas but dont want to . I'm sick of 12 - 13.8 mpg . I really dont think its worth it to me anymore . I do not like any other suv's out there right now.
I calculated 3.60 ga. If it goes to 4.60 and stays there I will have to cross that bridge when it happens.:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 42 Posts