Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone personally repaired/replaced the A/C evaporator core issue that I am led to believe is the cause of possible leaking and/or the A/C sounding like it's on a respirator? I'm going to attempt to replace it in the next few months myself. Currently I'm gathering all the information and knowledge I can before tackling the job. I just can't swallow giving the dealership almost $3k to make the repair considering I already paid them about $800 last summer to "fix" the issue. As it stands, I'll be replacing it with a TYC Evap Core. Any suggestions or tips on the necessary steps and tools side would be appreciated from anyone that has experience doing so.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,004 Posts
Is it an R-134a or R-1234y system?

Most of the posts here indicate the rasping sound from the evaporator is from the system being low. Not the evaporator leaking. So you have a leak, but why have you concluded its a leak in the evaporator? Cause from the posts I read the noise comes from the system being low, not a leak in the evaporator itself. You're leak could be somewhere else that is much easier and cheaper to fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it an R-134a or R-1234y system?

Most of the posts here indicate the rasping sound from the evaporator is from the system being low. Not the evaporator leaking. So you have a leak, but why have you concluded its a leak in the evaporator? Cause from the posts I read the noise comes from the system being low, not a leak in the evaporator itself. You're leak could be somewhere else that is much easier and cheaper to fix.
It's R-1234YF. If it wasn't I would have done it myself or taken it to a local shop for diagnostic and repair, which I actually did before taking it to the dealer. They returned it to me no charge and suggested I take it to the dealer because either way they don't fill 1234YF. I took it to the dealer. They said it was low, did a system evac and replaced a hose that looked like a potential culprit. They re-filled the system and tested it. All good. I got it back and after about two weeks it came back. Sometimes it cools, sometimes it blows just air, but the rasping it continuous. The hotter it is outside the longer it takes to actually blow cold air if any at all in the dead of summer. The dealer guarantees a repair for up to 24 months, but I imagine they are going to have to do another evac and refill to find out where it's potentially leaking again. If it was 134-a I wouldn't hesitate, it's cheap. But the 1234YF is just ridiculously priced to fill.

From what I have researched, a lot of people have found damaged cores (after eliminating other options) which doesn't make sense considering they are up against the firewall.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
41 Posts
Did they put dye in it? If not I would have some put in and check it over yourself with a light and glasses before you take that big leap into changing that evap core.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did they put dye in it? If not I would have some put in and check it over yourself with a light and glasses before you take that big leap into changing that evap core.
Yes they put dye in it. That is what led them to replace the hose but they couldn’t find anything else. I do see a little yellowish green fluorescent splatter on the inside lip of the bumper guard where the front of the engine sits over. That’s clear as day without a light or glasses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts