Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is to discuss dash cam options in Aus/NZ.

I am planning to buy the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH a 2 channel (Fr & Rear Cameras) unit with 1080P Front and 720P rear that has WiFi to broadcast its stream and viewed via a phone app. It records to micro SD as usual as well and has fantastic viewing/editing software for both Windows and OS X.
The 650 is an update for the 550.

The front camera are also available on their own as the 500 or newer 600.
Here is a 500 install thread - http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/blackvue-dr500gw-hd-dashcam-install-61140.html

They are pricey, but are the cleanest looking once fully installed and have the best features.

Here are a few pics of the 550 installed by an Overland owner in Perth

Auto Black Box is the official importer - BlackVue | Auto BlackBox Australia
Buying OS can result in getting the Korean models (They are made in Korea) which means it will start in Korean and also it makes firmware upgrades a big problem. Personally I always like to support local industry anyway, so I will be purchasing from official Aus reseller. Probably helps that I'm friends with a manager at a reseller/installer.

An in depth comparison of the 500/550 and 600/650:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG30MZeoXhs

And an update after a week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzAvM4xffo&list=UUv2w4Pe6Ad9NxM-FU0MR4wg

I did buy a G1W, which is an excellent and cheap 1080P camera. Mine however was an older chip model that had several issues, so I sent it back. It is highly regarded, and for $50, can't be beat for the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo76bkytA3o

Reactions: psyk

·
Premium Member
GC Overland
2,466 Posts

·
Premium Member
Jeep SRT
2,188 Posts
Funny you guys mention these models. I have both the Blackvue DR550GW-HD and a Navig8r Pro HD.
I replaced the Pro HD with the Blackvue, as I wanted something more slimline. I now run the ProHD as my rear camera. Both are great in both day and night.

Some things I noticed about the Blackvue, the Droid and IOS software is not as nice as I would like. I wanted to be able to copy easily from the Camera via wifi, but it does not work like that. You can setup the camera and view the video, but you cannot just copy the video straight from the camera, you still need to remove the MicroSD and put it in a PC. The viewing of the files over wifi is also a bit unreliable, as it tends to buffer a lot and it does not seem to keep streaming. You need to select the individual files, which are only 2mins long.
I was tossing up between the Vicovation wifi and the Blackvue. Both are great cameras, but the apps the Blackvue had was what sealed the deal for me.

I also recommend DashCams AU to buy locally for warranty. I ordered and it was in my hands 2 days later.

If anyone is after a cheap and effective camera, then I would recommend the Mini 0803 seems to have a good writeup and great value at $170.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing in those long Blackvue videos that he notes as a major improvement in the 600 series is that the WiFi is far better.
I was considering that Navig8tr, but like Enforcer, I want something out of the way that doesn't need to be touched. It needs to be wife proof.

·
Premium Member
Jeep SRT
2,188 Posts
I also have the Navig8r Navcam GPS, which I got a few years ago.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Blackvue 550 2ch is pricy, $450. Quality of front view is rather good. Is it necessary to have rear camera because if a car kiss you from rear, that driver is at fault by default unless he can approve otherwise. Plus, the night video quality from rear is poor to average.

I don't think front camera can capture side views which is more important than rear.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if a car kiss you from rear, that driver is at fault by default unless he can approve otherwise. Plus, the night video quality from rear is poor to average.
Unless you're reversing. Not necessary, but can be helpful. The rear is lower resolution than the front.
As per my first post, you can buy the fronts of the Blackvues by themselves. In the second video about it I posted, the installer says he uses two 500s one front, one rear for best results, but that does cost more than the kits. Some of those rear videos are being shot through 60% tint, and with no headlight to help illuminate it makes it worse.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
because if a car kiss you from rear, that driver is at fault by default unless he can approve otherwise.
Not quite true, have a friend who lane changed and rear video shows she had completed the lane change and some tosser who was going way to fast hit the skids and clipped the rear quarter. Police said she was in fault even after looking at the video and they issued an infringement notice. The insurance company has said the she was at fault because the Police booked her. She is in the process of disputing it. Waiting for outcome.

·
Premium Member
Jeep SRT
2,188 Posts
Window tinting is good point which didn't come across my mind. Any ingenious solution about capturing side view?
I do not know why this would be too important as most collisions are front or rear. The best bet to cover most angles is to have a rear facing camera on the front windscreen. This would get some sides and the rear.

·
Premium Member
GC Overland
2,466 Posts
For those wanting side camera views, you could try one of those Google mapping Car 360deg rotating cameras mounted on the roof. You might also need a file server in the boot to store the imagery, unless you go wifi to a satellite and store in the "cloud"

·
Registered
Jeep GC SRT
18 Posts
This thread is to discuss dash cam options in Aus/NZ.

I am planning to buy the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH a 2 channel (Fr & Rear Cameras) unit with 1080P Front and 720P rear that has WiFi to broadcast its stream and viewed via a phone app. It records to micro SD as usual as well and has fantastic viewing/editing software for both Windows and OS X.
The 650 is an update for the 550.

The front camera are also available on their own as the 500 or newer 600.
Here is a 500 install thread - http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/blackvue-dr500gw-hd-dashcam-install-61140.html

They are pricey, but are the cleanest looking once fully installed and have the best features.

Here are a few pics of the 550 installed by an Overland owner in Perth

Auto Black Box is the official importer - BlackVue | Auto BlackBox Australia
Buying OS can result in getting the Korean models (They are made in Korea) which means it will start in Korean and also it makes firmware upgrades a big problem. Personally I always like to support local industry anyway, so I will be purchasing from official Aus reseller. Probably helps that I'm friends with a manager at a reseller/installer.

An in depth comparison of the 500/550 and 600/650:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG30MZeoXhs

And an update after a week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzAvM4xffo&list=UUv2w4Pe6Ad9NxM-FU0MR4wg

I did buy a G1W, which is an excellent and cheap 1080P camera. Mine however was an older chip model that had several issues, so I sent it back. It is highly regarded, and for $50, can't be beat for the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo76bkytA3o
Any rough indication on price for the latest model ?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I bought one of the iTronics ones from AutoBlackbox about 4 years ago, the ITB70G It was in my old Territory and went into my Jeep the day after I picked it up. It's getting about time that I upgrade it as I've noticed than when I review the footage the image becomes very grainy and poor quality when driving in heavily treed areas.

Will most likely put the old one on the back window when I upgrade.

·
Premium Member
SRT
500 Posts
I bought a cheap $60 one off eBay. It's small and fits to the windscreen with either the suction cup or the permanent tape which make it less visible. It's got 1080p, shock lock, infared and motion sensing plus the camera rotates close to 720 degrees.

It already has paid for itself when a fake cop or a undercover cop with no ID in a silver Commodore pulled me over in my Lexus for apparently driving too fast on the M2. No lights, sirens or identification, I passed him going up a hill because he slowed to an absolute crawl like he was asleep at the wheel but he felt the need to then speed up and get right on my ass and wouldn't back off so I brake checked him. He then hit some little red and blue LED lights in the grill of his car so I pulled over. I ask what the problem is all polite like. I'm from the USA and was in the military for 10 years so I don't mess with people in uniform or cops and don't get smart...if they are doing their job. He gets all argumentative and states that I was speeding, I ask how fast and he comes up with some bullshit, exaggerated number. I give him a look of 'pull the other one, mate" and ask how he worked that out from the few seconds I was passing him to when he was tailgating me. He then sees my dash cam and backs off a bit. I ask him who he is and if he's gonna charge me with something. He says he's just a guy who's sick of bad drivers and pisses off. Got his car on video but didn't have the sound on. I call the closest police station to report the incident and the rego number and they tell me the plates have been turned in ages ago. One cop was shocked.the next one didn't seem to care much. Either they're covering for someone or someone's impersonating a cop. Either way the cam acts as a good deterrent. Who knows how this could've ended up.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any rough indication on price for the latest model ?
No idea, still a month away, I don't think there would be a price rise. If there is and the 550 drops in price enough, I may go that.

·
Registered
Overland
318 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a camera for awhile now and wished I had at least got one for the misses. The other day some dickhead ran up the back of her. She jumped out to talk to this guy and couldn't find a pen in her handbag to write down his details. During that time she established that he was not insured and she was heading back to the car to get a pen and her phone. While she did that, the bloke jumped in his car and sped off. She only got the first two digits of the number plate of a black BMW.

To be honest, I'm speechless! I can't believe that there are people out there like this. Well now I know.

She spoke to the cops, maybe something will come of it but I'm not holding my breath. So not only is she up for a $650 excess she has injured her back and more than likely will have to pay her own medical fees.

After this, I can't stress enough about getting a camera and a high quality one at that.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

1 - 20 of 431 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.