Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
121 - 140 of 431 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Do you know the approximate length (in time) the 64GB card will hold?
Apparently about 16hrs. This is from the 550 manual, and it shows this same info on the 650 manual. However, the 650 records at approx 50% higher bitrate.

I am not sure exactly how much time I had recored the night and day it kept recording nearly constantly, but it was over 10hrs worth, and it had only used 20GB. What causes this variations suggesting I could get 30hrs worth is that a lot of that was recording nothing but the black night, therefore very little info is actually being recorded, requiring less data.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
Just to elaborate on what Snuke is saying... the video imagery is compressed using a complex algorithm. This method results in a significantly higher data usage where the captured image is complex. This is the case when there are ongoing brightness / colour changes in the image, or there is regular movement. Take this to the other extreme, and you'll find data usage quite low when a static image is all that is captured.

I saw massive variations in data usage in a mobile surveillance application, simply due to the moving shadows on the "sunny side" of the vehicle in the afternoon's lower light.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
This is why a higher bitrate is ideal, the more data it can move through the recording process, the greater the detail it can capture.
These new higher bitrates, are still pretty piss poor compared to proper cameras.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
Not wanting to get off track or turn this into the "Caravanner's Forum", but I'm not sure I get your example Snuke. Are those file properties for files of very similar captured imagery?

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
I didn't think that Constant Bit Rate would have been used... that was an assumption based on DVR tech. I don't care enough to investigate further... I'll leave it that you've researched the Blackvue processing and that you're right in what you're saying mate.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Hmm hadn't thought of constant vs variable, I am personally not aware of cameras that record in VBR so I had never thought about it. I had not researched it, I was just completely ignorant to the existence.
That being said, I did check about 10 video clips the other night after reading that article, front, rear, day and no action night, and they all gave the same result. So it seems it is constant.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
So you assumed right and I assumed wrong. ;-)
In hindsight, the hardware for video processing in VBR is probably a big part of what sets this kind of product apart from a surveillance DVR proper.

So to all and sundry please ignore my posts regarding compression and file size. It does not appear to be applicable in context. Effectively, I was wr... wr... wr...

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well just installed 1 of the 650 units in the Nissan, was a pretty painless process :D

Have ordered a couple of "Add a Circuit" piggy back fuses just to neaten the connections up for the Power Magic Pro

Will attempt the Jeep once some other items have arrived.
Would rather pull it apart do everything at once.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone had any joy connecting the iPhone to the camera. I bought the 600 single camera version and my iPad connected first go but the phone is a no go.

Jeep at Aspley are going to install a dual cigi socket behind the dash, wired to the ignition, so I can plug in both the camera and TPMS out of sight. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Chris said he got his iPhone connected eventually. I still haven't. I sent AutoBlackbox (distributor) an email about it. We went back an forth, they have forwarded it onto Blackvue. Looking at the app reviews we're not alone.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
The iPhone connection is a strange beast, when playing a video on the phone from the card it buffers quite a bit (this was supposed to be fixed), yet I can copy file to the phone no buffering. Connection is a bit hit and miss since I reset the cam, I tap on it to connect then it will pop up message 'unable to join', I keep trying then it connects...:banghead:

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Never had a quality dash until I got the Blackvue 650. I like the fact that you can disable all the lights (except GPS) and audible warnings. Had the SRT in for seal in front diff and right drive shaft. It was interesting watching the service guys working on it and taking it for a test drive. They knew the cam was there but they said it had no lights on it like other cams so it mustn't be working :)

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
562 Posts
Never had a quality dash until I got the Blackvue 650. I like the fact that you can disable all the lights (except GPS) and audible warnings. Had the SRT in for seal in front diff and right drive shaft. It was interesting watching the service guys working on it and taking it for a test drive. They knew the cam was there but they said it had no lights on it like other cams so it mustn't be working :)

That it self is worth it if you can review service workman shop activities.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, did any of you get the 650 fitted in Melbourne?? Looking at getting one but don't want to fit it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also best place to get one.
Thanks ?

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Reactions: ChrisA

·
Premium Member
anything with wheels
1,852 Posts
That it self is worth it if you can review service workman shop activities.
My dash cam records on ignition on and I had a complete log of my Jeep's runtime while it was in the shop. Besides two techs driving to the bank at lunch (vehicle required test driving anyways), I didn't see anything suspicious.

My cam has front and rear facing imaging so I can see the driver and road. I did prove to a hotel manager that the valet parked my Jeep on the street in New Orleans for 6 hours earlier this year when I was paying for secure parking.

·
Registered
White GC Blackhawk
135 Posts
Hi all. Great thread btw. I'm keen on asking a couple of questions:
1. Is the general consensus from you all is that the 650 is a good bit of kit and if it's best to wire into the accessories 12v and not the 12v in the armrest?
2. Because of glare factors. Could it be fitted outside on the bars via engine bay in a discreet place inside a protection casing?
3. I guess if you're after recording in a service centre or non ignition state, then the power magic pro is the go? Is there a huge drain on the battery while this is operating?
4. Has anyone fitted one under the bonnet lid to watch servicing?
T.i.a

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Premium Member
Jeep SRT
2,188 Posts
Hi all. Great thread btw. I'm keen on asking a couple of questions:
1. Is the general consensus from you all is that the 650 is a good bit of kit and if it's best to wire into the accessories 12v and not the 12v in the armrest?
2. Because of glare factors. Could it be fitted outside on the bars via engine bay in a discreet place inside a protection casing?
3. I guess if you're after recording in a service centre or non ignition state, then the power magic pro is the go? Is there a huge drain on the battery while this is operating?
4. Has anyone fitted one under the bonnet lid to watch servicing?
T.i.a
Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
1. It is a premium product, but I do not think it is worth what they are asking in comparison to other options. It is an easy set and forget system. Depends on what you are after

2. NO, the cameras generate a lot of heat, so any external box will not be suitable, nor would it look any good. The glare can be reduced by pointing the camera higher and making sure it is positioned correctly. The Marcus 3 also has a good anti glare filter if it bothers you.

3. The PMP is not a bad idea if it concerns you when you leave your car. I do not bother with it. It can be handy for parking issues. The higher end cameras have a parking mode, so will use little power when in standby. You would most likely be able to power the camera for many weeks with the huge battery that our cars have.

4. I would expect that any mechanic would unplug a camera if they knew about it, as it is technically illegal to record sound/video without permission. When I recorded my service, they did not see the camera and I did not do it deliberately.

Reactions: Dallas
121 - 140 of 431 Posts