Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have friend who knows a guy that is part of a group of dealerships. They gave me impression I'm getting a better deal, but I've always bought cars off craigslist never a dealer and am worried about being taken advantage of. What do you look for when buying a car in terms of shopping dealers. From what I can tell they're not offering anything special or unique.

I'm looking at a new 2020 grand cherokee and will pay cash.

They said they can offer friends and family but I think all the dealerships are doing that so again nothing special...

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
Internet Shop the Dealerships within an area you're willing to drive to purchase a new car. Find the one with the best price and print it out and take it to the Dealership. Likely you will find it with a higher list price, show them the print out from the internet and they will honor it. They will call it the "Internet Price" and thus won't wheel & deal with you on trade-in, etc.....

Most Dealerships have gone to no commision, no haggle pricing, they barely make anything on new car sales anymore, they make all their profits from Service and Repair..... ....but no guarantee, some will still mark up their vehicles on the lot, that is why you need to shop via the internet.....

Look for alternative car outlets....

You have to shop around and be willing to walk away and come back another day to purchase.....

Finally, I'm sure you've heard this, you loose a lot on a brand new car as soon as you drive it off the lot.... ...you can save a lot purchasing a year old car, but you're choices will be more limited....

·
Registered
796 Posts
I’ve always bought new (and always had to order the vehicle built to get exactly what I wanted), in working with the dealer the first thing I check is to see if they tack on some ridiculous “administrative fee” which can go by another name, but can range from $400-500 or way higher. That’s usually a starting point for “I’m not about to pay for that nonsense!”

·
Registered
162 Posts
I’ve bought my last several vehicles from a local internet sales company saving $$$ on each one over a regular dealer. Also no BS fees added onto the price. I’d check into services like Costco and Sam’s Club pricing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Internet Shop the Dealerships within an area you're willing to drive to purchase a new car. Find the one with the best price and print it out and take it to the Dealership. Likely you will find it with a higher list price, show them the print out from the internet and they will honor it. They will call it the "Internet Price" and thus won't wheel & deal with you on trade-in, etc.....

Most Dealerships have gone to no commision, no haggle pricing, they barely make anything on new car sales anymore, they make all their profits from Service and Repair..... ....but no guarantee, some will still mark up their vehicles on the lot, that is why you need to shop via the internet.....

Look for alternative car outlets....

You have to shop around and be willing to walk away and come back another day to purchase.....

Finally, I'm sure you've heard this, you loose a lot on a brand new car as soon as you drive it off the lot.... ...you can save a lot purchasing a year old car, but you're choices will be more limited....
Yeah I'm having difficulty finding the exact same car so it's tough to do a true side by side comparison

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,458 Posts
Yeah I'm having difficulty finding the exact same car so it's tough to do a true side by side comparison
Make a list of what you actually want, then simply search the dealer prices on the internet looking for the one's with the equipment you want, pick the least expensive one, print it out and visit the dealer with the printout......

For some reason a lot of folks on this forum are obsessed with Trim Levels, like they are whole other model of vehicle..... ....they aren't, they are all the same vehicle, look for the equipment you want..... ....true, the different trim levels will have standard equipment, so it's a good place to start, but you want to confirm it has the equipment you're looking for, the trim level itself is no guarantee it has the equipment you want....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make a list of what you actually want, then simply search the dealer prices on the internet looking for the one's with the equipment you want, pick the least expensive one, print it out and visit the dealer with the printout......

For some reason a lot of folks on this forum are obsessed with Trim Levels, like they are whole other model of vehicle..... ....they aren't, they are all the same vehicle, look for the equipment you want..... ....true, the different trim levels will have standard equipment, so it's a good place to start, but you want to confirm it has the equipment you're looking for, the trim level itself is no guarantee it has the equipment you want....
I didn't realize that, that's really helpful thank you!

·
Registered
96 Posts
So $4,000 off MSRP. That's about what I usually save from a new vehicle. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
Historically, a decent deal has been 5-6% below invoice plus the benefit of any available promotions. The current "Friends and Family" or whatever promotion clouds things a bit, but still can be compared to the historical trend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
4k off MSRP, you can do much better then that. I got my 2017 limited new for more then 11k less then MSRP.
I haven’t been able to get the dealers to get anywhere near 11k off msrp. The lowest is more like 5-6k and that’s with the EP for all and any incentives. How are you doing that? Did you have a trade in?
I had one deal at over 12k off msrp, but when I got to the dealer, there was a 4K dealer accessory add on plus got completely hosed on the trade. So I walked.
Generally, it doesn’t seem like dealers want to discount too much outside of incentives. I keep reading minimum 10k off JGCs but idk how true that is now. Can someone show how’s doable?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
If they said that they are selling you the vehicle at the Affiliate Rewards price you need to ask to see the dealer invoice for the vehicle that you're wanting to purchase then look for the PP price .
The PP price is the true employee price.
FullSizeR.jpg

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I purchased my '18 HA I unintentionally had two dealers competing against each other. The MSRP was $53,330 and I got the dealer I wanted to buy it from to knock $9,500 off that price. That's nearly 18% below the window sticker. Also, got them to give me around $800 more on my trade-in than KBB said it was worth.

I was surprised that they offered such a deal, especially since they had to swap with a dealer in the Chicago area, around 300 miles away, and they had to send a driver there to get it and bring it to me in St. Louis. I'm sure they still made some money on the deal somehow.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You just have to catch them at the right time and negotiate your price plus there was some great incentives out when I got mine. I bought my MY17 being the end of that year so there was huge deals due to the MY18 being out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fig
I have friend who knows a guy that is part of a group of dealerships. They gave me impression I'm getting a better deal, but I've always bought cars off craigslist never a dealer and am worried about being taken advantage of. What do you look for when buying a car in terms of shopping dealers. From what I can tell they're not offering anything special or unique.

They said they can offer friends and family but I think all the dealerships are doing that so again nothing special...
[/QUOTE

deals are best at end of month, and wait until a big promotion. I got a ‘19 high altitude v6 4x4 with Harmon kardon audio for $43.5k with a sticker of $53,800 in October. I’ve seen loaded up limitless into the mid $30’s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts