Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever experienced a dealership agreeing to a sale price (or % off) prior to ordering a vehicle, only to try and bait and switch you after? I had been working with the internet department sales associate at a dealership here who said they would "match any offer". I showed them the Colorado Springs offer from Jack that a few of you have ordered from. She again said they would match any offer and that I should stay in California. Then she had her GSM write up a letter for me to post here for volume saying that in order to get the discounts there would need to be at least 5 vehicles sold (group buy). Their letter only said $1000 back of invoice less the control number incentive. I took this as almost matching the discount as they said the max discount would be $1700. I then brought that letter and all info when I ordered (along with my control number). She seemed like I didn't need any of that when ordering and that they had it all on file. This was on March 9th.

Fast forward to today, I'm trying to get the financing worked out through the dealership through email so I went straight to the GSM. He had sent me my order sheet before and mentioned getting me the lease rates in case I go that route. So I mention in the email that I was looking for the financing info and blah blah, then I said something about also verifying we were still on the same page for sale price. I used the agreed upon price, less the $1000 conquest lease incentive, plus destination. Put's it about 3.7% below invoice or so.

He comes back and says that any dealer who says they would only make $350 on a $40k vehicle that it simply would not be true. "That business model just would not work. Hold back is 3.5% of invoice before destination charge regardless of any program used..."

Now after going back and forth all morning with the GSM regarding my saved emails from his salesperson, he is reluctantly sort of agreeing on the price. The deal went from matching the $1750 to $1700 to $1000 below invoice minus the approximately $430 affiliate incentive. And I'm not sure if this counts the conquest cash, which Chrysler says is valid, or if I can use that on top of the deal.

And he's making me feel like I'm the bad guy and that the only reason he did it was because he thought it would be a volume deal. I feel like I should have just road tripped to Colorado! Plane couldn't have been more than $400 and the experience would have been fun. But now that I've waited a month since ordering it seems I am locked.

Thanks for letting me vent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I understand this is still a great deal on a HOT vehicle. I know most people will still pay more than this deal, and some will pay less. It's just the principle of having to prove they said what they said. Kind of annoying.
 

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
Joined
·
8,884 Posts
Did you get the original salesperson back in the conversation?



---
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I included her in the first email today, but then the GSM was the one to respond. She wasn't included in the replies. However, I did forward all of the previous correspondence between she and I including all letters (offers) from both deals.

He just responded saying that it "appears" the competitive conquest bonus "should" be combinable with the affiliates program. So I'm hoping that means another 1000 off, closer to what I originally expected.
 

·
Registered
'10 Nissan Maxima SV
Joined
·
353 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but until the truck arrives at the dealership, you can still back out of an ordered vehicle.

If time if not an issue, I would back out of the deal since I cannot trust the dealership to hold it's end of the bargain once the truck actually arrives. In short, I'd rather go to a no-BS dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is, I've already agreed to sell my current vehicle to a coworker who needs it by the 20th. So, time kind of is an issue. The dealership doesn't know this though. I wish there was a dealer anywhere in California that had an offer (with the exact Jeep I want) that I could drive to. This one is only an hour away but in between I drive by at least 2 or 3 other dealerships.
 

·
The Negotiator
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Well you could always just sell your car to the coworker and get a rental for a few days to cover you. To be honest, I would be contacting the owner of the dealership about this whole deal. Otherwise, I would probably go elsewhere to get the vehicle, even Colorado!
 

·
Registered
Cherokee
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
Well you could always just sell your car to the coworker and get a rental for a few days to cover you. To be honest, I would be contacting the owner of the dealership about this whole deal. Otherwise, I would probably go elsewhere to get the vehicle, even Colorado!
That's what I was thinking. Also this dealership is obviously loaded with B/S I wouldn't trust them for anything. I bet also they have sneaked in a few fees on your order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh. It's just frustrating because I ordered a month ago. And have been waiting watching MOTS and VOTS and finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. And now I'm wondering if going through all that (finding the car at another dealership for the right deal, and/or contacting the owner) is worth the $320ish that I thought I'd be saving on a $48k vehicle. Also, I'm not "the negotiator" like you are! ;)

Finally got a number from him. On my Overland V6 MSRP is $48,685. My total cost including the incentives I qualify for and a control number is $43,838. The best I expected was around $43,500.

I bet his thought process is the same as what's actually happening in that the $300 or so isn't worth my time to back out or overly complain about it when these things are selling like dollar beers.
 

·
The Negotiator
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
I would say eat it and be done. Advise them that you won't be back to buy from them and that you let others know of this transaction. Just buy it and go elsewhere if you can for service.
 

·
Registered
Cherokee
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
I would say eat it and be done. Advise them that you won't be back to buy from them and that you let others know of this transaction. Just buy it and go elsewhere if you can for service.

LOL A speaker for the people sno! Eat it ! Honestly not a bad deal. Take it and run.
 

·
The Negotiator
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
I would just say next time, deal with a manager when your going to order. The only person that would overrule their decision is the owner and if the owner did that, I wouldn't be buying anything from him no matter how long I had to wait.
 
  • Like
Reactions: adthebadstud

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I would say eat it and be done. Advise them that you won't be back to buy from them and that you let others know of this transaction. Just buy it and go elsewhere if you can for service.
I thanks for letting me vent. Still can't wait for my new baby girl. I'll now have three to have to share my time between. Girlfriend (probably fiance soon), siberian husky puppy, and now the Jeep.
 

·
The Negotiator
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
I think that is what I will do. There are a couple other dealerships nearby that I can use for service/warranty issues. I will for sure. It just bugs me that some people are so dishonest, even when it is in writing!

Again, thanks for letting me vent. Still can't wait for my new baby girl. I'll now have three to have to share my time between. Girlfriend (probably fiance soon), siberian husky puppy, and now the Jeep.
Wait, I want to trade you 2 of the 3. You can keep your Jeep, and I'll take the other 2.. You can have my wife. With a g/f, she can't take my money compared to my wife.. And I LOVE Siberian husky dogs, they are just awesome.

Anyway, good luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,453 Posts
With a g/f, she can't take my money compared to my wife..
Hell Sno, we throw our money at our g/fs. At least where I live we have community property, so the wife can't get far with it!;)
 

·
The Negotiator
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Hell Sno, we throw our money at our g/fs. At least where I live we have community property, so the wife can't get far with it!;)
True. But with a g/f when I throw money at her I bet I get something good in return, doesn't really happen with the wife. Haha:)
 

·
Waggie
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
That stealership needs to be outed on JG, then tarred and feathered. HTFU, sell your car, and go get a better deal from a dealer with backbone.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When a dealership is selling to an Affiliate Program buyer, dealer gets an additional 2% holdback. So the GSM was not being truthful with you.
That's what I thought too. So the original holdback is 3%, plus the additional 2% with the affiliate program. The deal I had worked out still had them in the positive by about 400something and they are coming back wanting to make about 800something on the deal. I had a spreadsheet and everything all calced out thinking I knew what I was doing.
 

·
The Negotiator
Joined
·
5,364 Posts
Such a hard place to be at with this. 1 side of me says to stick to your guns make them agree to the terms you ordered under, go above this guys head. The other part says to just let the 350 or so go and just get it. Unless you really want to go to CO for a few hundred, its a tough one.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top