Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,757 Posts
Looks like the WL is getting a "newly designed shifter"

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Looks like the WL is getting a "newly designed shifter"
Crap! This could end my long Jeep Cherokee loyalty unless other Jeep models don't follow suit with the KNOB.

Here's an excerpt below from this article:

.......Expect the all-new Grand Cherokee to come standard with a ZF-sourced 8-speed automatic transmission lineup, which will now be shifted via a rotary dial located on the center console......

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,757 Posts
Well my guy says a newly designed shifter...not knob. Milous also says shifter. Maybe the knob wont make it to all models?

·
Registered
Rubicon
90 Posts
They should just put the shifter that's in the Challenger in FCA cars, and the shifter in the Jeep Wrangler in the Jeeps. I hate that F'ing knob!!!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The only problem I have with my '14 shifter is everyone is afraid to drive it, except me.
I had a '14 for 4 years and "got used to" the shifter but man do I love having a real shifter that actually moves in my '19. Every time I get in it and shift into reverse without looking my hindbrain says "man that's nice"!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Well my guy says a newly designed shifter...not knob. Milous also says shifter. Maybe the knob wont make it to all models?
Good deal! Me like!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Time will tell, we'll see!
That article does say the ZL is a prototype hopefully subject to change for production units.
FCA does seem to have a weird fascination with Euro type KNOB shifters.

·
Registered
465 Posts
So, I see HERE, inquired about your source on the other thread, it's "your guy"! But, no clarification of the "Werd" 'shifter'? Anyone know what the definition of IS is :unsure:? My guess would be IF FCA wants to "open up more Area (i.e.; like the RAM 1500 center console) then "Round Knob shifter" will be the "IS" definition ! time will tell . Personally though, I would not mind/care if this came to be IF the end result is esthetically pleasing and superior to the competition AND the "shifter" rotation is FIRM & each detent is DEFINITIVE ! Only problem would be not being able to manually shift as presently done . NOT a fan of the steering wheel paddle-shifters; I don't have a SRT or Trackhawk and I don't pretend to be Parnelli Jones while on the Freeway/Interstate . They Always get in my way, which is why I turned them off within a month of ownership (2016 75th WK2).

81 - 88 of 88 Posts