Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

deAutoLED???

6K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  The Wizard 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried these deAutoLED 3157 led's. They don't seem to want to show pictures of the actual led itself. Do they have a phone number? Just wondering if there bright and last.

#35 ·
Thanks for sharing the video. It is the same model that is being sent out now. Very popular and sold out again. It is in stock in a few days and everyone has been notified. So if you do order now it will deliver in a few days:

The overall brightness is much brighter than OEM and many competitors without any need for resistors. Meaning that extra light that is in the housing that shines past OEM really makes a big difference along with the quicker light-up times to alert others when you brake and signal.

#4 ·
The lamps didn't work out for my on my MY12, but the company has good customer service; ships fast, replaces fast and returns fast if that's required. I also used the reverse lamps (really nice and bright) as well as some interior and license plate lamps. Only the stop/turn/tails were an issue and that's likely just because the vehicle's electronics just couldn't handle them consistently. They "worked", but with intermittent issues. Later model years are less likely to be as sensitive.

#6 ·
Thanks what do you recommend for the turn signal,brake and parking bulb? I have these
RFIX-XD11XenonDepot XD11 11 Ohm Resistors
installed. The bulbs have been in for about a year and they still light up but I'm getting a code and they are hyper flashing. Could it still be the bulb or do you think it's the resistor?

#7 ·
Just installed LumaWerx LW80 (HID Kit Pros) on mine (brake/linker, and reverse bulbs). They are local right here in WA and use all CREE components and let me tell you they are BRIGHT, I mean substantially brighter than OEM and the other LED bulbs I had! On my 2019 model no resistors or ultra flashing is present. Swapped out Morimoto ones for these and the LumaWerx are much better albeit a little on the expensive side (more inline with VLEDS pricing). I was going to go with DeAuto ones but the whole refusal to show pictures or specs and when I emailed them I received an extremely poor response so that made the decision easy.

#10 ·
As mentioned you definitely will and you can buy them extra. Somewhere in 2018 I believe this was changed where you don't need them. Other option I believe I've heard is people use the DiagFCA App to code LED lighting changes. I'm not sure if this only applies to certain years, I would check it out though if you are opposed to resistors.

#9 ·
You absolutely need resistors or a lamp that is designed to not need them for the stop/turn/tail (3157) in the MY12...and as I noted, it can still be iffy with the later...

#14 ·
Havent used the deAuto led bulbs yet , however i did get brake light bulbs from superbright leds which were canbus specific , they work perfectly in my 2015 with no resistors but they are no brighter than stock. Glad someone posted that they had tried the deAuto version and they arent that great. I had a big issue with them for not showing any pictures of their bulbs on here or their website. Leads me to believe they are just renamed bulbs but i dont want to sling any mud, just my opinion.

#15 ·
In another thread about deAuto bulbs (which has been closed), I posted that I would buy a pair of 7440 LED bulbs to see if they could compete with the V-LED bulbs I currently have for rear turn signals. If they were at least as bright, I would keep them but if they weren't I would return them. Either way I would post my findings.

I just received the bulbs. Here is what they look like...

I'm sure the 3157 is identical except for the base. It looks fairly well made which is a promising sign. The wrap-around layout of the LEDs should fill the lamp reflector well.

I will probably wait for the weekend before installing and comparing because the switch to standard time has made it quite dark by the time I get home from work - all bulbs look bright at night so a comparison in daylight will be more revealing.

#17 ·
I have a '19 Limited which I've used DiagFCA to switch the rear turn signals to the outer portion of the backup lights (amber). But as I said, the 3157 version of the deAuto bulbs would be identical to the photo except that the wedge base is slightly different from a 7440 (the 3156/3157 wedge base is a little wider and thicker than the 7440/7443). I haven't tested them yet so I can't comment on how bright they are. deAuto claims that their bulbs have built-in load resistors so no external resistors are necessary.

The choice of external resistor is not dependent on the bulb. The standard rating for use with LED bulbs is 6 ohms, 50 watts. Select the resistor kit that best suits your needs. They are all basically the same but physical size may be a concern if mounting space is limited. Also, some come with the bulb sockets at both ends so that they are plug-and-play for those who don't want to splice into the wiring. Some also include a capacitor for especially sensitive CAN BUS systems (not a concern for Jeep taillights). They all work the same and no one model is better than another. Try to get as large a heat sink as will fit in the space available and mount them so that they don't rest against anything plastic which might melt from the heat.

#19 ·
I have them in my 2014. I've had some issues with previous brake light bulb models from them, however, they were eager to swap them out for a newer model. So far, they've been working fine for 6-7 months. I also have pretty much every other interior and exterior bulb from them (except headlights and fogs) and all are working just fine.

#20 ·
I have the DeAutoLED bulbs in the brake lights of my ‘17 GC. I originally had their first gen bulbs and they worked great for about 10 months but one went out causing an error code. I contacted DeAutoLED and they replaced both bulbs with their newer bulb with a black body (posted above). The new bulb has been running strong for over a year. Great product and great customer service.

the DeAutoLED bulbs don’t require a resistor which is great. External resistors get HOT. I tested a Sylvania LED bulb with a resistor and the resistor reached almost 300 degrees in just 3 minutes! I also have a set of VLEDS BULBS V6 Triton bulbs sitting in the garage that I bought for if/when/just in case the DeAutoLED bulbs die. I tested VLEDS resistor and in RUNNING mode, they hit 79 degree. In BRAKE mode, they hit 160.

#21 ·
I got around to installing the deAuto LED bulbs for comparison on Saturday. It was a nice sunny day perfect for a daylight bulb comparison. Imagine my surprise to find that the bulbs produce white light! I checked the packing slip and although the description doesn't mention the color, it does say "Universal Rear Turn Signal LEDs". I'm not aware of any cars that use white turn signals so obviously this is a picking error or mispackaged bulbs. I have contacted them using the contact form on their website to find out how to get replacements. They promise 24-hour response time so we'll see what they say. This kind of error happens occasionally with any product so I would not hold it against them as long as they rectify the issue well.

#23 ·
With LED lights, you always want to use the same color LED as the lens it's behind... red LEDs behind red taillights, amber LEDs behind amber turn signals lenses, etc. If you use white LEDs (as you would with incandescent bulbs) then you end up with washed-out color (pink brake lights). In this case, it's a clear lens so it needs amber LEDs for use as turn signals. That's because I have made the programming change to European style lights using the diagFCA software - converts the outer portion of the backup lights to turn signals and leaves the red lights as running/brake lights only.

#24 ·
The new style (black housing) bulbs I have from deAuto light up red. The originals lasted 8-10 months before they started to throw error codes. The one the was working was only lit up halfway....no code in that one though
Hopefully these last longer....$50 a pair gets expensive if they dont last

#26 ·
Well yes, I will admit that they have responded in a timely manner. Then they said that they sent the white bulbs because they assumed I was wrong and actually wanted 7440 backup light bulbs since they had never heard of 7440 amber turn signals in the back of a JGC (despite European models being configured that way). So much for "these bulbs have been tested in every model to prove they are the best" (paraphrasing). And what kind of customer service is it to send something different just because you think the customer doesn't know what he really wants? I'm still open to that being just a mistake but we'll see what happens next.

The jury is still out and I will try to keep an open mind. But I will say that the white bulbs were not as bright as the existing amber bulbs from V-LED. That's really unexpected because white is usually the brightest color if everything else is equal (i.e. with two bulbs of the same make and model, one white and the other amber, the white one will always be brighter). That would imply that the 7440 amber bulbs will be somewhat less bright than the white ones I received which were already less bright than my existing amber bulbs. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on events.

#27 · (Edited)
Well yes, I will admit that they have responded in a timely manner. Then they said that they sent the white bulbs because they assumed I was wrong and actually wanted 7440 backup light bulbs since they had never heard of 7440 amber turn signals in the back of a JGC (despite European models being configured that way). So much for "these bulbs have been tested in every model to prove they are the best" (paraphrasing). And what kind of customer service is it to send something different just because you think the customer doesn't know what he really wants? I'm still open to that being just a mistake but we'll see what happens next.

The jury is still out and I will try to keep an open mind. But I will say that the white bulbs were not as bright as the existing amber bulbs from V-LED. That's really unexpected because white is usually the brightest color if everything else is equal (i.e. with two bulbs of the same make and model, one white and the other amber, the white one will always be brighter). That would imply that the 7440 amber bulbs will be somewhat less bright than the white ones I received which were already less bright than my existing amber bulbs. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on events.
There is a misunderstanding here to their email. I contacted them. They sent the 7440 white by accident thinking you needed reverse and not seeing turn signals on the order. That was their fault and will fix it.

I saw the email and they always email when someone orders a turn to learn more about year/make/model and forgot this time. But they did not knowingly send 7440 white when you wanted amber. That was a mistake.

And to further confirm you ordered a universal 7440 rear turn. They had no idea you needed it for a Jeep rear turn - they never emailed or confirmed. So what you are saying is simply not something they could have thought and I think reading their email your understanding of what they meant was misunderstood due to their wording.

They also do not think at all that amber would be less bright. Again, the reason why they sent 7440 white is because they read it as reverse and not rear turn. That was their mistake they are working to fix.

They always send:
turn signals: amber
reverse: white
brake: red

#28 ·
All things being equal (as The Wizard mentions) a bulb that deviates from a generally neutral Kelvin rating of 4,300-5,000k (white) will always produce less effective lumens. There isn't a subjectiveness to his statement, it's the general physics at play.

#31 ·
This is getting ridiculous. I am now getting emails in real time from the vendor referring to this thread as well as these posts. So let me clarify...

Apparently, the white bulbs were sent in error rather than because they thought I ordered the wrong bulbs.

The packing slip says "Universal Rear Turn Signal LEDs" (emphasis added) so they should have been amber - there should have been no question that I was not ordering backup lights. For the moment, I am willing to accept that it was just a picking/packing error. I'm sure that with all the fuss now I'll be getting the correct ones as replacements.

There also seems to be some confusion about my white vs. amber comment. I was not trying to say that they sent white bulbs so that they would be brighter... that would be stupid. I was saying that since I had installed the new bulb on one side anyway, I compared its brightness to the existing amber bulb on the other side. I found that the new bulb was not brighter - perhaps even not as bright. That does not bode well for how bright the amber one will be when it arrives since an amber bulb of the same model as a white bulb will always be less bright. IOW, if the white one already wasn't brighter, what are the chances that the amber one will be? And to answer the email question I just got from the vendor... yes, I had them in the right way (polarity was not the issue and all diodes appeared to be lit).

Now they are sending two different models of amber bulbs - black base ones like the ones I received and orange base ones. I don't know the difference but I will be more than happy to try them out and see how well they work. It will be interesting if the orange based ones are better because then they should promote those on their website.

I really am hopeful that one of these bulbs will be brighter. Not that the V-LED bulbs haven't been excellent but brighter is always better. So I'm looking forward to trying them out.

#32 · (Edited)
This is getting ridiculous. I am now getting emails in real time from the vendor referring to this thread as well as these posts. So let me clarify...

Apparently, the white bulbs were sent in error rather than because they thought I ordered the wrong bulbs.

The packing slip says "Universal Rear Turn Signal LEDs" (emphasis added) so they should have been amber - there should have been no question that I was not ordering backup lights. For the moment, I am willing to accept that it was just a picking/packing error. I'm sure that with all the fuss now I'll be getting the correct ones as replacements.

There also seems to be some confusion about my white vs. amber comment. I was not trying to say that they sent white bulbs so that they would be brighter... that would be stupid. I was saying that since I had installed the new bulb on one side anyway, I compared its brightness to the existing amber bulb on the other side. I found that the new bulb was not brighter - perhaps even not as bright. That does not bode well for how bright the amber one will be when it arrives since an amber bulb of the same model as a white bulb will always be less bright. IOW, if the white one already wasn't brighter, what are the chances that the amber one will be? And to answer the email question I just got from the vendor... yes, I had them in the right way (polarity was not the issue and all diodes appeared to be lit).

Now they are sending two different models of amber bulbs - black base ones like the ones I received and orange base ones. I don't know the difference but I will be more than happy to try them out and see how well they work. It will be interesting if the orange based ones are better because then they should promote those on their website.

I really am hopeful that one of these bulbs will be brighter. Not that the V-LED bulbs haven't been excellent but brighter is always better. So I'm looking forward to trying them out.
I want to start by saying the entire team wants to apologize about the amount of time you spent on this and to thank you for all the attention you showed.

Thanks for clearing this up. I asked them how the mistake happened and it was simply human error. They had a lot of reverse that day and that order was mixed in the pile and the associate did not catch it and sent reverse. (the label also said reverse not rear turns).

For vled turns vs their white reverse I won't deny what you are seeing. All I can comment and confirm many are using the 7440 as reverse and what I seen in person they are very bright and light up a wide area.

i think this photo says a lot. Without the reverse on this is a pitch black back ally with no other lighting. With reverse on it lights up enough so you can see everything:

#36 ·
It's been a while since I updated this thread. There was a delay in shipping the replacement bulbs - not deAuto's fault, the post office messed it up somehow. I have now received two sets of amber 7440 bulbs. One model has a yellow base and looks like a standard LED bulb. The other model has a black base and a somewhat unique layout of LEDs. Both models seem well built with sturdy metal frames and a solid base. I'm looking forward to trying them out this weekend and comparing them to my existing LED bulbs. If I can get meaningful pictures I'll post them on Monday but I'll post a review in any case.

#37 ·
I finally got a chance to install the new bulbs yesterday and compare them in daylight conditions. I found that both sets were equally as bright as the V-LED bulbs I already had. In daylight that's all I could say. In the shadows later in the day, the yellow base bulbs were still about the same as the V-LED bulbs but the black base ones appeared to fill out the reflector just a little better and so appeared just a little brighter. The difference was quite minor and subjective - I have no equipment to measure actual output - but it was enough for me to leave the black base ones installed in place of the V-LED bulbs.

This morning while following my wife to work, it did seem that these new bulbs were visible from a greater distance. That could be the lighting conditions (just before dawn) or just wishful thinking on my part but I'm pleased with the results. I would not say that the difference is anywhere near enough to justify replacing good bulbs if you already have them but I would say that these bulbs are worth considering if you're in the market for good LED bulbs (i.e. not the cheap eBay or Amazon ones). These are on par with the similarly priced V-LED and Diode Dynamics bulbs.

If you really want the brightest on the market then V-LED Tritons are still the leader but they don't fit in many situations - JGC tail lights being one of them - and they are much more expensive.

I will admit that my findings are a pleasant surprise. All the hype and lack of any concrete information about these bulbs had made me skeptical but they turned out to be a good product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.