Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently attempted to debadge the front hood. As I thought I was removimg the gunk actually felt like clear coat. Now I can see the outline of the lettering . Does anyone know how to fix. Thank you

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Are you sure thats not residue badge adhesive?
Lightly rub a finger nail across it to see if its an inny or outty.

If it turns out to be the clear coat and depending on how much is gone that might be able to be buffed out.
If too much of the clear coat is gone and its not possible to buff out i can see two alternatives.
Get the hood repainted
or
Buff the area out best you can, clean the area then buy a new badge and stick it back on.

Reactions: nth256

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure thats not residue badge adhesive?
Lightly rub a finger nail across it to see if its an inny or outty.

If it turns out to be the clear coat and depending on how much is gone that might be able to be buffed out.
If too much of the clear coat is gone and its not possible to buff out i can see two alternatives.
Get the hood repainted
or
Buff the area out best you can, clean the area then buy a new badge and stick it back on.
Yes, inside the actual letters, it is an outty
I will attempt to buff out with machine and see what happens after that

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yes, inside the actual letters, it is an outty
I will attempt to buff out with machine and see what happens after that
If its an outty then thats left over adhesive residue from the badge.
First i'd try a badge type adhesive remover, i like Turtle Wax's Label and Sticker Remover.
I wouldn't buff until all that adhesive is removed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, remove that residue and clean the area first. You’ll want to polish that area anyways even if you clear all that residue as you’ll likely have some ghosting. I just debadged mine and though nobody else probably would have noticed the ghosting, I most certainly knew it was there, especially in certain lighting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, remove that residue and clean the area first. You’ll want to polish that area anyways even if you clear all that residue as you’ll likely have some ghosting. I just debadged mine and though nobody else probably would have noticed the ghosting, I most certainly knew it was there, especially in certain lighting.
I tried removed with go gone I can not find what @moparado mentioned. I honestly feel.like it's clear coat lol because it's peeling outward of the letters not inward

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I tried removed with go gone I can not find what @moparado mentioned. I honestly feel.like it's clear coat lol because it's peeling outward of the letters not inward
Can you post a close up picture on what you're dealing with?
Otherwise not sure if you're dealing with adhesive or clear coat.

GooGone if thats what you're talking about is junk, tried it a couple times and threw it away.
It works ok for removing very light adhesive residues but with a lot of multiple tries and patience.
With any of these badge adhesive removers, follow the directions exactly for best results.

Other alternatives are coaxing the adhesive off gently with a WD40 soaked micro fiber towel or as a last resort a rubber eraser wheel like the one below:
Be careful if you try the rubber eraser and follow the directions to a T.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bro! just use polishing compound and it'll remove it. That's what I used and it came off clean no more marks. You can get polishing compound at any local Autozone, Oreilly's, etc. Trust me!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
@Playoffs @moparado haven't messed with it today, but here's a photi View attachment 235690
Man its still hard to see exactly whats going on.
Do those white outlines protrude above the letter centers where it still looks like good paint?
If the white outlines are indeed adhesive i would still remove that first before any polishing.

On the other hand from the modified pic above it seems like the clear coat but still hard to tell.
If you're sure its the clear coat and not adhesive then try polishing.

If you do decide to polish i wouldn't use a DA power polisher at least at first.
Instead i would first experiment using the polish with a micro fiber and some elbow grease to see how the whole thing reacts.
If you end up using an aggressive polishing compound and not experienced with using a power DA polisher there's the risk of taking the clear coat off right down to the base paint and maybe further.

Be careful whatever you decide because of done wrong, its a repaint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man its still hard to see exactly whats going on.
Do those white outlines protrude above the letter centers where it still looks like good paint?
If the white outlines are indeed adhesive i would still remove that first before any polishing.

View attachment 235694

On the other hand from the modified pic above it seems like the clear coat but still hard to tell.
If you're sure its the clear coat and not adhesive then try polishing.

If you do decide to polish i wouldn't use a DA power polisher at least at first.
Instead i would first experiment using the polish with a micro fiber and some elbow grease to see how the whole thing reacts.
If you end up using an aggressive polishing compound and not experienced with using a power DA polisher there's the risk of taking the clear coat off right down to the base paint and maybe further.

Be careful whatever you decide because of done wrong, its a repaint.
Yes, the white outline does stick out, where I feel I can peel our ward. I have used the rubber eraser, but felt it wasn't removing the outer layer. Any specific brand on the polish? Luckily I don't have a polish machine, will be done by hand

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, the white outline does stick out, where I feel I can peel our ward. I have used the rubber eraser, but felt it wasn't removing the outer layer. Any specific brand on the polish? Luckily I don't have a polish machine, will be done by hand
I’m no professional and not sure if this would work for your specific job but I use Rupes Uno Protect

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I would not use an aggressive rubbing compound at least first.
If it is indeed adhesive you might try a bug & tar remover to see if that has any affect on removing it.

If you decide to polish, pick up a bottle that says polish and not wax and does not say any thing like rubbing compound.
Rubbing compound will remove clear coat and paint quickly but will require further more less aggressive polishing to get the shine back. And without a power DA polisher that would require a lot of elbow grease.

Yeah you might have to buy some chemicals for $20 to $30 but the alternative is a re-paint costing a couple thousand dollars and out of pocket no less.
Your goal should be to prevent a re-paint so if this were my deal i would take one baby step at a time to see what works and what doesn't work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would not use an aggressive rubbing compound at least first.
If it is indeed adhesive you might try a bug & tar remover to see if that has any affect on removing it.

If you decide to polish, pick up a bottle that says polish and not wax and does not say any thing like rubbing compound.
Rubbing compound will remove clear coat and paint quickly but will require further more less aggressive polishing to get the shine back. And without a power DA polisher that would require a lot of elbow grease.

Yeah you might have to buy some chemicals for $20 to $30 but the alternative is a re-paint costing a couple thousand dollars and out of pocket no less.
Your goal should be to prevent a re-paint so if this were my deal i would take one baby step at a time to see what works and what doesn't work.
Off, you guys are saying not to use rubbing compound 😬😬 I used that when I removed the other emblems followed it with a cleaner wax. Did I mess up 😔

·
Registered
133 Posts
Stop stressing over it! Get most of the glue off any way you can… heat, goofoff, paint prep spray, wd40, etc. If theres still some residue or if you need to get more aggressive, try a clay bar first, and if you STILL have some glue, move to a polishing compound.

From personal experience, prep spray on a warm sunny day and some elbow grease was enough. When it’s all off, you’ll probably still see a ghost image of the emblem due to weathering and sun exposure. I finished off with polishing compound to get rid of small swirls and to even out the look with the surrounding area. Any QUALITY compound will do… Meguires, Mothers, etc. Finally throw a layer of wax or sealant of your choice to protect the naked paint area.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Stop stressing over it! Get most of the glue off any way you can… heat, goofoff, paint prep spray, wd40, etc. If theres still some residue or if you need to get more aggressive, try a clay bar first, and if you STILL have some glue, move to a polishing compound.

From personal experience, prep spray on a warm sunny day and some elbow grease was enough. When it’s all off, you’ll probably still see a ghost image of the emblem due to weathering and sun exposure. I finished off with polishing compound to get rid of small swirls and to even out the look with the surrounding area. Any QUALITY compound will do… Meguires, Mothers, etc. Finally throw a layer of wax or sealant of your choice to protect the naked paint area.
Glad you got your adhesive off with your method but thats you and your vehicle.
We are not there in person to see exactly what the OPer is dealing with.
From the OPers comments it seems like its adhesive but not 100% positive.

Look, the OPer doesn't seem to be experienced with this probably the reason he's stressing over it.
Polish and rubbing compound are two different things the latter with more aggressive grit.
Rubbing compound if not used correctly could remove more clear coat and/or paint than necessary.
Because of that its best to try less aggressive methods first to avoid a rookie screw up resulting in an expensive repaint.

OPer:
If the adhesive 'can' be removed with adhesive removers then i'd recommend a follow up with polish and if necessary then a swirl remover to further get the shine back.
If its adhesive that 'can't' be removed with adhesive removers, then yes ordinary run of the mill polish should be tried first with a lot of elbow grease.
On the other hand if the clear coat is gone then its rubbing compound used correctly, clean, polish, clean then a swirl remover.
Or
visit a professional detailer who can assess the situation and hopefully power buff and sort the whole thing out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts