Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone has experience with some decent cheap cross rails for a (hopefully) short term basis. My ultimate goal is to put a Chief roof rack on, but I'm not wanting to drop the coin on that just yet. However, I have a need to strap a couple things to the roof for a trip in October, so I'm looking for some cheap cross rails (possibly a basket if there's a good cheap one too) to hold me through for a few trips. I see several on Amazon running around $100, but no idea how they do.

·
Registered
2019 Overland.
111 Posts
I’m following.
ive been looking at craigs list and here to see if an inexpensive set pops up.
im not sure of the ultimate use but do need to move a ladder and stuff occasionally

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just recently looked into this. Some trims come with the roof rails installed, some (like my 80th anniversary) don't and have plastic trim pieces instead. It's expensive and looks like a PITA to install the rails. I really don't understand why they don't all come with them, or at least have a reasonable way to install, but I guess it was a bean counter move.

Amazon sells these Brightlines cross rails that work with the plastic trim - Amazon.com: BRIGHTLINES Roof Rack Crossbars Compatible with 2011-2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude/SRT with Roof Black Moldings (Silver): Automotive

There's a few threads if you search "brightlines". They seem to work well and are well reviewed.

I haven't bought them. My need would be very occasional. Looks like a good solution.

If you have factory roof rails there are a bunch of cross rails available,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a 21 Overland, so it does have the factory rails. The plethora of options out there is what prompted this thread. :) Since it's temporary, I'm looking to go cheap, but not so cheap they're going to fly off under highway speed stress, or whistle so bad you get an ear ache while driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the Mopar rails on my 2014 because I found used set, put the Turtle rails on my 21 trail hawk they are really nice and solid

1 - 6 of 6 Posts