Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2018 jeep renegade that i bought in 2019 brand new. My screen has been delaminating the past couple of months. I have been noticing that my Bluetooth will drop all of a sudden and my apple car play doesn't work a lot. I ended up researching this issue and come to find out this is a common problem in dodge and jeep vehicles. My car is out of warranty. i have 43,000 miles currently. I after reading many forums about this issue i decided to reach out to FCA (jeep cares). They opened up a ticket. The next day a Uconnect rep reached out to me saying that i needed to take the car to the dealership to have it diagnose before they can submit a claim. They said once they have a diagnose they said if the dealership decided to take care of it they will order a new radio, if not i would have to pay out of pocket and than have jeep cares reimburse me. So i made an appointment to take my car down to the dealership. I'm pretty sure that they wont cover it, so I'm just now preparing to folk over a lot of money to have this fixed. I think its completely ridiculous because this shouldn't be happening to a new car. I only had the car for two years. Next time i purchase a care i will do a 5 year warranty. If this is a recurring issue this should be a recall on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is what you do - call FCA customer service!! I will advise, YOU HAVE TO BE NICE!!! The moment you get upset, mad, throw an adult temper tantrum - forget about it.

Working for FCA for years, this exact concern is becoming more prevalent. Call FCA, tell them your concern, YES, you will have to approve diagnosis to confirm the failure. But I have seen in cases, probably the few that I had - there was either goodwill warranty available, or some type of assistance to help the customer.

Just like in Road House, "Be Nice".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i did this Monday 8/9. Since that ive been seeing they have been pretty quick. They said someone would reach out to me in one business day and some did. I did what the rep told me so now the car is at the dealership. I dropped it off on 8/12. Im currently waiting to hear back. Ive been super nice so hopefully that works in my favor. I'm a single mom of 1 so I'm trying to cut cost. I will continue to keep my cool. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know it is frustrating, but keep your cool. The big thing is as long as it doesn't appear that you used any cleaner that caused it to fail, or any signs of outside influence, you might be on the better side of 50/50. But then again, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it is frustrating, but keep your cool. The big thing is as long as it doesn't appear that you used any cleaner that caused it to fail, or any signs of outside influence, you might be on the better side of 50/50. But then again, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
differently never used any type of cleaner. Honestly the most i ever done is switch back and fourth from Bluetooth and apple play lol. I wish i would of had it checked when i first saw a little bubble. Thanks for the information :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
The 18 MY units are known for this and bad air cards

worse case if they do nothing you can easily diy the screen for $100 off eBay and simply hand tools.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I just heard back from the dealership and they said it’s the radio and it needs to be replaced. They quoted over $1,600. FCA called me today letting me know that they just authorized for my replace radio. They just let the dealership know so now they are placing my order. Probably be a few weeks before it gets here but I’m super happy that they was still able to cover it even tho I’m out of warranty. FCA works fast and was extremely helpful with getting this issue taken care of. I highly suggest calling them.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L V8
40 Posts
Same issue with my '18 WK2. Brought to dealer and they verified and ordered part under warranty last week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so glad I came across this forum. My 2018 Jeep GC Sterling Ltd just ran out of warranty and within weeks my screen started delaminating. I called FCA today and they've opened a case. I am now waiting on the dealership to call me to set an appointment so they can diagnose the issue and hopefully get the radio replaced at no cost to me. I'll update when I know more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update: I just heard back from the dealership and they said it’s the radio and it needs to be replaced. They quoted over $1,600. FCA called me today letting me know that they just authorized for my replace radio. They just let the dealership know so now they are placing my order. Probably be a few weeks before it gets here but I’m super happy that they was still able to cover it even tho I’m out of warranty. FCA works fast and was extremely helpful with getting this issue taken care of. I highly suggest calling them.
Glad to hear you were able to get some help with this problem! What number did you call to reach FCA customer service?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just started happening to me today. Ghost touches keep hitting the clock and asking to adjust the clock. Now the radio comes fuzzy,FM Sirius and AUX mode. I have a 2018 grand Cherokee. Is there a number for FCA? I bought the car barely used from a Chevy dealer. The screen is completely unusable at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Haha, mine just started a couple of months ago and I thought that there was a leak of some gel or something. Started affecting the station hold a little as well. I'd be listening to Hits One and all of a sudden the station would change to the next and then the next. Been okay for the last week but I will have to contact FCA as well and see what they can do to help. Bad enough I have the old bubbling up leather dash, now this?!

Later,

Sterling

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Jeep Compass, Just happened to mine last week, no ghost touches yet but hoping to get it worked out before that happens. No luck with Uconnect or dealership as it is out of warranty. Is anyone else having luck with FCA?

·
Registered
2018 JGC - High Altitude - 5.7 Hemi
31 Posts
Same thing happening with my 2018. I am at 51k and also have MaxCare, but not willing to pay $100 deductible for a known defect. Called FCA at (800) 992-1997 and press the option for Uconnect. I chose the wrong option the first time around, then they rerouted my claim to the correct group.

Opened a case, heading to the dealership to get them to document it soon and then will follow up on the claim with FCA after that.

Seeing this can be a safety issue, they should do the right thing and cover the replacement 100%. If it starts freaking out while driving, it is going to cause an accident.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I also have MaxCare on my '18. When my radio screen started delaminating, the dealer said maxcare would cover it, but he gave me the number to Chrysler Cares to get it covered without charge. They opened a case and replaced the radio under their "good will" warranty (I was about 6 months out of factory warranty at the time). The dealer had confirmed that '18 models were especially bad about the lamination problem. You should have no problem getting satisfaction from Chrysler or Jeep Cares, they seem to be aware of the problem and are trying to help. Just be nice when you speak to them, they tend to do their best to help reasonable people.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same thing happening with my 2018. I am at 51k and also have MaxCare, but not willing to pay $100 deductible for a known defect. Called FCA at (800) 992-1997 and press the option for Uconnect. I chose the wrong option the first time around, then they rerouted my claim to the correct group.

Opened a case, heading to the dealership to get them to document it soon and then will follow up on the claim with FCA after that.

Seeing this can be a safety issue, they should do the right thing and cover the replacement 100%. If it starts freaking out while driving, it is going to cause an accident.
Went to the dealership to have them look at it and say "Yes, it is delaminating" then sent this documentation to my case manager at FCA. Sounded like they are going to order a new radio and I will not have to use my MaxCare for the replacement, hence no deductible as this is a safety issue. Stay tuned, will update when I have resolution.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Excellent information in this thread as my screen is just starting to delaminate and with 51K miles i'm way past the B to B warranty and with no Maxcare only a 3rd party extended and Geico breakdown insurance.

Right now the delamination is hard to see without direct sunlight hitting it just right, i only stumbled upon it during a weird driving situation where i had to concentrate on the NAV traffic information.
So i'm gonna wait until it becomes a little more obvious before taking it in.

There's no way i'm gonna pay $1600 out of pocket, if worse comes to worse i'll check out that after market screen replacement fix.

Interesting that the Renegade and Compass also have the issue so its not only WK2's.
Which ever vendor manufactured the '18 UConnect head units, hope FCA sues the crap out of them.
Unless FCA itself manufactured that POS then the only hope is the NHTSA forcing recalls but only if enough people complain to them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 2018 jeep renegade that i bought in 2019 brand new. My screen has been delaminating the past couple of months. I have been noticing that my Bluetooth will drop all of a sudden and my apple car play doesn't work a lot. I ended up researching this issue and come to find out this is a common problem in dodge and jeep vehicles. My car is out of warranty. i have 43,000 miles currently. I after reading many forums about this issue i decided to reach out to FCA (jeep cares). They opened up a ticket. The next day a Uconnect rep reached out to me saying that i needed to take the car to the dealership to have it diagnose before they can submit a claim. They said once they have a diagnose they said if the dealership decided to take care of it they will order a new radio, if not i would have to pay out of pocket and than have jeep cares reimburse me. So i made an appointment to take my car down to the dealership. I'm pretty sure that they wont cover it, so I'm just now preparing to folk over a lot of money to have this fixed. I think its completely ridiculous because this shouldn't be happening to a new car. I only had the car for two years. Next time i purchase a care i will do a 5 year warranty. If this is a recurring issue this should be a recall on this.
I had an issue with my chrysler 300 I found a replacement with a company who parts out cars. Cost was less than 200. Delivered to my door and took me less than 30 mins replacing it. New are about 1500.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Went to the dealership to have them look at it and say "Yes, it is delaminating" then sent this documentation to my case manager at FCA. Sounded like they are going to order a new radio and I will not have to use my MaxCare for the replacement, hence no deductible as this is a safety issue. Stay tuned, will update when I have resolution.
Got an Update from the Connect today (group that was handling my case). Pay attention as this becomes confusing........I was told they talked to the dealership Service Manager (Mike) and the dealership would replace with a $200 deductible. I did not agree with this as I stated it was a safety issue as my phone was going on hold and hanging up on calls when I was making then my way to the dealership. In any case, I told Cameron ( Uconnect person handling my case) that it would only be a $100 dec under MaxCare. I was then told "This would not be covered under MaxCare as it is not a mechanical nor electrical issue".....Then what the H$LL is it then? It is a defect by the Mfr of the system and should be covered!

So I then called my dealership and spoke spoke with the Service Manager, Mike (that Cameron from Connect spot with) and he said "We only get authorization to do the work, any deductible is set by Connect when the repair is authorized by them".

Someone is lying and I don't know who, but it is starting to get on my last nerve. This is becoming a BIG issue for people and Jeep/UConnect/FCA/MOPAR or whomever is responsible to resolve it needs to step up. I ended up calling another Jeep number and asked for escalation as I am stuck in the middle. I have owned Jeeps more than 25 yrs of my life and if this is how they are going to handle an issue on a $50k Jeep, my next vehicle will NOT be a Jeep!

PS- If Jeep Cares is monitoring this thread, I need some help to get these replaced, under a recall or warranty as this becomes distracting while driving.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L V8
40 Posts
Got an Update from the Connect today (group that was handling my case). Pay attention as this becomes confusing........I was told they talked to the dealership Service Manager (Mike) and the dealership would replace with a $200 deductible. I did not agree with this as I stated it was a safety issue as my phone was going on hold and hanging up on calls when I was making then my way to the dealership. In any case, I told Cameron ( Uconnect person handling my case) that it would only be a $100 dec under MaxCare. I was then told "This would not be covered under MaxCare as it is not a mechanical nor electrical issue".....Then what the H$LL is it then? It is a defect by the Mfr of the system and should be covered!

So I then called my dealership and spoke spoke with the Service Manager, Mike (that Cameron from Connect spot with) and he said "We only get authorization to do the work, any deductible is set by Connect when the repair is authorized by them".

Someone is lying and I don't know who, but it is starting to get on my last nerve. This is becoming a BIG issue for people and Jeep/UConnect/FCA/MOPAR or whomever is responsible to resolve it needs to step up. I ended up calling another Jeep number and asked for escalation as I am stuck in the middle. I have owned Jeeps more than 25 yrs of my life and if this is how they are going to handle an issue on a $50k Jeep, my next vehicle will NOT be a Jeep!

PS- If Jeep Cares is monitoring this thread, I need some help to get these replaced, under a recall or warranty as this becomes distracting while driving.
It is covered under MaxCare using your deductible. That's how I did mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts