Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Jeep owner for years. I currently have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cheorkee and 2018 Jeep Wrangler. I have had the same issue with the Delamination of the 8.4 Uconnect Touch Screen With both. Fortunate my Wrangler was within the Bumper to Bumper Warranty and it was replaced. However, now my Jeep Grand is now having the same problem and it is out of Warranty. Do I have any recourse? This has to be an issue if both of my Jeeps have the same issue. What are they doing about it? Is there a solution? It sure makes me think different about Jeep if they know this issue is happening and they are not doing anything about it!

· Registered
3 Posts
I have been a Jeep owner for years. I currently have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cheorkee and 2018 Jeep Wrangler. I have had the same issue with the Delamination of the 8.4 Uconnect Touch Screen With both. Fortunate my Wrangler was within the Bumper to Bumper Warranty and it was replaced. However, now my Jeep Grand is now having the same problem and it is out of Warranty. Do I have any recourse? This has to be an issue if both of my Jeeps have the same issue. What are they doing about it? Is there a solution? It sure makes me think different about Jeep if they know this issue is happening and they are not doing anything about it!
My 2018 GC touch screen has gotten so bad it adjusts climate and ghost dials phone numbers

· Registered
Grand Cherokee
42 Posts
so far, I am told by UConnect that because I am not the original owner of my vehicle, it is out of pocket to replace. Seems shitty since they are well aware it has nothing to do with vehicle warranty, the screens clearly heat up and that makes them create this issue.

· Registered
5,375 Posts
From the posts here on this delamination topic it seems all '18 screens are going to fail sooner or later.
My screen's delamination grows a little every time i look at it.
Why this isn't a factory recall is beyond me.

A few here have had good luck with a dealership's good will replacement, replaced under extended warranties and unfortunately most without an extended warranty were replaced out of pocket.

· Registered
5,375 Posts
Finally went down to my Jeep dealership regarding the screen delamination.
$1200 to replace including labor.
Approved by my 3rd party ext. warranty with a $100 deductible.
Now i gotta wait til the new head unit comes in.

Reactions: 19GCTrailhawk

· Registered
24 Posts
Just to pass this on, I stumbled on a way to be able to still listen to your tunes when your U Connect is going crazy.
If you're like me the radio keeps changing stations and the USB player keeps changing songs or switching to AUX every few seconds. Disconnect or unpair your blue tooth to your phone, select radio or other audio then select phone. Then keep your U Connect on 'phone'. You'll get that "no phone paired" screen but no buttons for your U Connect to play with. You can control your radio stations & music through the steering wheel buttons.

· Registered
5,375 Posts
Finally went down to my Jeep dealership regarding the screen delamination.
$1200 to replace including labor.
Approved by my 3rd party ext. warranty with a $100 deductible.
Now i gotta wait til the new head unit comes in.
Update FWIW!
Got the old delaminated Uconnect head unit swapped out yesterday at my Jeep dealership for a $100 deductible.
They slightly dented the dash right above the head unit bezel while removing the old unit but i can live with it.
Last thing i need is for them to replace the entire dash top for a small un-notiseable dent to a casual observer.....what could possibly go wrong changing out the entire dash top!

The new unit's media control is a little different than the original.
No bottom radio button anymore, all media including radio stations, USB, etc. is now selected by the below media button aka menus.
Sort could mean the replacement is not an old refurbished head unit but maybe an updated unit or at least with updated software.
Also while driving off from the dealership i noticed the head unit was constantly updating when entering hot zones.
Just maybe i got the current latest greatest NAV update.

· Registered
24 Posts
Update FWIW!

No bottom radio button anymore, all media including radio stations, USB, etc. is now selected by the below media button aka menus.
Sort could mean the replacement is not an old refurbished head unit but maybe an updated unit or at least with updated software.
Also while driving off from the dealership i noticed the head unit was constantly updating when entering hot zones.
Just maybe i got the current latest greatest NAV update.
Just out of curiosity. With no buttons right on the bottom to push, does that mean you have to sift through some menus while driving?

· Registered
24 Posts
Just to update on my post about leaving it on the buttonless "no phone paired" screen, after a few days it is now somehow (on it's own) started switching back on to the radio or MP3 screen so it can screw with the buttons again.

· Registered
78 Posts
That change was made via a software update more than a year ago, so your original unit was obviously running old software. There have been no hardware changes to that headhunt other than replacing the problematic LCD screen assembly. What you likely received was a unit that was refurbished with the revised screen and updated to the current software version, which should be "Application Version QR-39.5". This version is required if you want to purchase map updates.

BTW, the headhunt your dealer removed is probably already on its way to a Mopar repair facility where the screen will be replaced and put back into the OEM parts supply chain for sale to a future delamination victim.

· Registered
5,375 Posts
Just out of curiosity. With no buttons right on the bottom to push, does that mean you have to sift through some menus while driving?
The big buttons on the bottom of the screen are still there minus the old radio button.
All media including radio stations is now selected by the big media button at the bottom of the screen.
Yeah thats an extra step fumbling with the pop up media menu to toggle between radio and USB player.
I liked it better the old way, instant toggling between radio and media (USB music in my case) with only one push of a button.

· Registered
5,375 Posts
That change was made via a software update more than a year ago, so your original unit was obviously running old software. There have been no hardware changes to that headhunt other than replacing the problematic LCD screen assembly. What you likely received was a unit that was refurbished with the revised screen and updated to the current software version, which should be "Application Version QR-39.5". This version is required if you want to purchase map updates.

BTW, the headhunt your dealer removed is probably already on its way to a Mopar repair facility where the screen will be replaced and put back into the OEM parts supply chain for sale to a future delamination victim.
Yeah, why let a perfectly good head unit with only a bad screen go to waste.
I and many others have said these delaminated screen head units should of been handled by a re-call.

Far as the software updates, i know the old head unit was updated at least once and maybe twice.
But that was a while back.

· Registered
Grand Cherokee
42 Posts
This is my fear, I pay the $1,800 - $2,000 out of pocket and they switch the entire unit out instead of just the screen, because why replace a cheaper part when you can charge for the entire radio/unit. And I end up with a different unit entirely from what I had. Or worse, get a refurbished unit. I am half tempted to attempt to switch out the screen myself for a third the price. If I knew I was ordering the correct screen, I would. But, they make it nearly impossible to tell if your vehicle works with the screen they are selling. The options are Limited Lujo Advance Sport Utility 4-door, Limited Lujo Sport Utility 4-door and Limited Sport Utility 4-door. I have the Limited, but how do I know if it is one of these trims? I tried looking up the VIN, but it wasn't helpful

· Registered
78 Posts
If I knew I was ordering the correct screen, I would. But, they make it nearly impossible to tell if your vehicle works with the screen they are selling.
To my knowledge, there is only ONE hardware version of the uConnect 8.4" headhunt for ALL USA 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokees. Any differences across models (ie. Limited/Summit/SRT/Trailhawk/etc] are nothing more than software or BCM/Options settings.

This or This is the screen you need, if you replace it yourself. Do NOT purchase any screen that is labeled SL01, since that is the screen version that WILL eventually delaminate. There are numerous links to videos in this thread that walk you through the screen replacement. It is not a difficult process and is much less expensive than a Dealer "out of pocket" repair. If you have the dealer replace your unit, you are most likely getting a factory refurbished unit anyway.

· Registered
Grand Cherokee
42 Posts
this whole issue stresses me out, a curse on UConnect and Jeep Brand for not making this a recall to correct the issue and instead leaving it up to the customers to fix. I am seriously considering doing my own replacement, but the number of sellers out there is daunting. Now I find out the SL02 is not a good buy, I presume it also delaminates or has other issues? the one to get is the LA084X01 (SL) (03)

· Registered
Grand Cherokee
42 Posts
FYI, I found this demonstration to be easier and quicker than other links I have seen How to Fix Delaminating OR Bubbles 8.4" U-connect VP3 VP4 LCD MONITOR Touch-Screen Radio Navigation - YouTube he doesn't mess with disconnecting the cable between the screen and the radio and doesn't take apart that cover. Seems way easier. This vidoe, he explains about keeping the unit held tight when you take it apart to not lose pieces between the radio and the motherboard and how the SL01 and the SL02 have been discontinued and customers are getting refurbished one that also go bad. He also explains how to get the ribbon cable straight, by the white line, otherwise you will have issues and keeping the side that says display ribbon cable connected to the display side.

· Registered
Grand Cherokee
42 Posts
I just want to say, thanks to YouTube , this video on how to remove the radio 2018+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Screen Bubble Fix - Delamination Repair - YouTube and the one I posted above on how to switch out the screens [so easy, compared to the previous video that took the extra step of taking apart the radio. And the link provided for the LA084X01 (SL) (03) screen I purchased for $650 [plus shipping and tax] I was able today, within about an hour, to switch the screens out and am back in business [no thanks to JeepCares and UConnect which refuse to do a recall] for around $700. Way less than the dealership price to replace for $1,800 plus labor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts