Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 jeep grand cher
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 jeep grand cherokee and have been having issues with it starting. We have done all the recalls and have changed the fuel pump. But now it takes a while to start. It makes a sound like it is really struggling but eventually starts. I really don't want to take it in to the mechanic if it can be something we can fix on our own. Any ideas of what it can be. Can someone please help?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,400 Posts
Which Engine do you have?
How many miles on it?

Have you changed the Spark Plugs?
Have you changed the Air Filter?
Have you run Fuel Injector Cleaner in the gas tank? (Chevron Techron is suppose to be the best)
How's your coolant fluid levels? (You need to check when the coolant is cold and remove the pressure cap from the radiator, if there is a leak in the system, the overflow tank can stay at its normal level while the level in the cooling system drops) (Headgasket leaks, can be the worst at cold start up and suck coolant into the cylinder until the engine warms up after a few seconds, that can make it tough for the engine to start)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same issue; occasional long starts. My original battery is now over 5 years old. I just checked the voltage and it looked good. But, since its old, I don't mind changing the battery.

Any suggestions on what battery brand I should get? I know its an AGM that is located under the passenger seat.

I apologize if I'm stealing the thread.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,400 Posts
There are dozens of things that will cause an engine to crank an unusually long time, you need to check all of those things, I listed a few of them in previous post.

The wrong answer is to change a good battery just because its older. If it was the battery behind the problem, most likely you'd have slow cranking and failure to continue to crank the motor before it started.

For example, if you have 90,000 miles on the vehicle and have never changed the spark plugs and air filter that were recommended to be changed at 30,000 miles, I'd suggest that is your most likely problem and you should be changing the spark plugs and air filter before the battery.

That's just an example, because you have told us anything to even start to help you narrow down the possible causes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts