Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a case of government overreach. Some quotes from the article:

"Officials took issue with the pickup's deleted emissions equipment and, in turn, told Sebold (owner) his truck must be returned to stock or taken off the road. But after he decided to turn in his plates and keep it for off-road use, Sebold claims they've forced him to make an appointment with the crusher."

"... he cannot transfer the truck’s title in any way without returning it to stock. This includes giving it away."

"... they gave him a deadline of September 25 to add emissions components like the diesel particulate filter back to the truck or have it destroyed."

"At the time of publishing, the truck is set to be crushed Friday, September 16."

Shocking!

Here's the article:
Diesel Ram Owner Forced to Scrap Truck Over Deleted Emissions Equipment (UPDATED)

·
Registered
2014 Limited
686 Posts
That’s our legislator’s at work pushing their Green Deal Agenda, until you can tell me sitting on a battery that’s 4 feet wide and 6 feet long won’t give you all types of medical issue down the road, (think low frequency electrical waves) or when you can pull up to a charging station and get a full charge in 5 minutes,(like you can in a naturally combusted engine or that the cost of a new battery won’t cost more than the vehicle is worth 10k plus) you’ll see me driving the tired and true combustion engine.
Of course they won’t listen to the real science because then they have tell you all this, low frequency electrical waves interfere without your body’s electrical processes so much so that most Federal Building’s have to have meters and monthly reading’s where there are electrical transmission control point’s. Charging takes forever and is actually costing more than gas, and if you live in Cali they tell you when and where you can or can not charge it. Batteries can only be serviceable through so many charging cycles, and it’s never good to fully charge as it decreases they total amount of charges it is designed for and then they have to destroyed which is going to poising the environment as batteries are caustic.
It’s a damn shame a man has to scrap his vehicle.

Mac

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s a crazy situation, but then the stupid really piles high when they tell him he cannot use it off-road.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There is legislation right now in several states to do exactly this. Vehicles with defeated emissions systems will be forfeited and destroyed. Also, major fines, and in some cases jail time for the distributors and installers of such equipment. The "diesel brothers" from the tv show paid a hefty fine for this.

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,294 Posts
Unless you know a 'friend' at an inspection place here in the UK who will 'overlook' egr/dpf deletes, then they have to stay on the vehicle here due to emissions stuff. However, if the vehicle is kept on private land and doesn't go on any public roads, then the powers that be here really cba.
Get caught on the road though with these deletes by cop-stops at the side of the road and you could end up having to put it all back to stock, or also lose the vehicle in a crusher. And how do they know? You have to get it passed by an inspection station.
In the end, messing about these deletes just aren't worth it in order to be able to 'roll coal', if that's the incentive to do it in the first place.
Totally understand deleting dpf's- if the egr system works fine, then why have them?

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
353 Posts
That’s our legislator’s at work pushing their Green Deal Agenda, until you can tell me sitting on a battery that’s 4 feet wide and 6 feet long won’t give you all types of medical issue down the road, (think low frequency electrical waves) or when you can pull up to a charging station and get a full charge in 5 minutes,(like you can in a naturally combusted engine or that the cost of a new battery won’t cost more than the vehicle is worth 10k plus) you’ll see me driving the tired and true combustion engine.
Of course they won’t listen to the real science because then they have tell you all this, low frequency electrical waves interfere without your body’s electrical processes so much so that most Federal Building’s have to have meters and monthly reading’s where there are electrical transmission control point’s. Charging takes forever and is actually costing more than gas, and if you live in Cali they tell you when and where you can or can not charge it. Batteries can only be serviceable through so many charging cycles, and it’s never good to fully charge as it decreases they total amount of charges it is designed for and then they have to destroyed which is going to poising the environment as batteries are caustic.
It’s a damn shame a man has to scrap his vehicle.

Mac
I've been driving an EV since 2015 (Ford Focus EV from 2015 to 2018, now a Tesla Model 3). So far, I don't have any medical issues from low frequency electrical waves that I'm aware of. As far as charging, I don't really care how long it takes, because it happens while it is parked in my garage and I am sleeping; it's pretty nice to come out each morning to a "full tank of gas". Yep, the cost of a new battery will often exceed the value of the car, but by the time a typical battery needs replacement, the cars ready to scrap anyway (lot's of EVs out there running >200K miles on the original battery). Charging cost is about 40% less than what I was paying in gas for the same number of miles, a bit less now that gas prices have gone way up. And, yes, I live in Southern California, with some of the highest electrical costs in the country. The utilities ask owners to charge at night to minimize impacts to the electrical grid, and incentivize you to do that by lowering the cost of electricity. Again, since it's happening in my garage while I sleep, that works good for me. Add to that, no maintenance costs (no oil changes, filter changes, tuneups, brake replacements, etc). Great warranties (most EVs have drivetrain / battery warranties to 100K and beyond; my Tesla is 8 years / 120K). And, they are a hoot to drive (0-60 in less than 4 seconds, great handling because the center of gravity is so low).

Main negatives of a EV...insurance costs are high, because repair costs when they get damaged are high. This is especially true for a Tesla, due in part to the Tesla business model (thanks, Elon). But, if you get any significant undercarriage damage or if the battery is in any way damaged in a crash, the costs go up really quick. Tires wear out quicker, because the vehicle weighs so much (or, because it's too easy to hot rod it since it's so quick!!). And, yes, charging while on the road can be a bit of a pain. Tesla has a huge advantage here with it's proprietary Supercharger network, which can charge my vehicle from 10% to 80% charge in about 15 minutes. And, mobile charging is very expensive, about 4 times what I pay plugging it in at home. In fact, my opinion, if you don't have a way to charge a EV at home, then EV ownership would be very difficult. Which makes the California mandate that all new vehicles sold in the state must be EV by 2035 simply fairy dust. There are way too many people who live in places where charging an EV at night while it isn't being used just isn't practical (street parking, apartment, condo, etc).

Keith

Reactions: MacDaddy and nth256

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deleted diesels are very popular. Many here on JG do that. I live in California where it's not allowed. In fact I just had to have a smog check last week, and that is required every two years. Years ago, diesels did not require a smog check, but that has changed.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I've been driving an EV since 2015 (Ford Focus EV from 2015 to 2018, now a Tesla Model 3). So far, I don't have any medical issues from low frequency electrical waves that I'm aware of. As far as charging, I don't really care how long it takes, because it happens while it is parked in my garage and I am sleeping; it's pretty nice to come out each morning to a "full tank of gas". Yep, the cost of a new battery will often exceed the value of the car, but by the time a typical battery needs replacement, the cars ready to scrap anyway (lot's of EVs out there running >200K miles on the original battery). Charging cost is about 40% less than what I was paying in gas for the same number of miles, a bit less now that gas prices have gone way up. And, yes, I live in Southern California, with some of the highest electrical costs in the country. The utilities ask owners to charge at night to minimize impacts to the electrical grid, and incentivize you to do that by lowering the cost of electricity. Again, since it's happening in my garage while I sleep, that works good for me. Add to that, no maintenance costs (no oil changes, filter changes, tuneups, brake replacements, etc). Great warranties (most EVs have drivetrain / battery warranties to 100K and beyond; my Tesla is 8 years / 120K). And, they are a hoot to drive (0-60 in less than 4 seconds, great handling because the center of gravity is so low).

Main negatives of a EV...insurance costs are high, because repair costs when they get damaged are high. This is especially true for a Tesla, due in part to the Tesla business model (thanks, Elon). But, if you get any significant undercarriage damage or if the battery is in any way damaged in a crash, the costs go up really quick. Tires wear out quicker, because the vehicle weighs so much (or, because it's too easy to hot rod it since it's so quick!!). And, yes, charging while on the road can be a bit of a pain. Tesla has a huge advantage here with it's proprietary Supercharger network, which can charge my vehicle from 10% to 80% charge in about 15 minutes. And, mobile charging is very expensive, about 4 times what I pay plugging it in at home. In fact, my opinion, if you don't have a way to charge a EV at home, then EV ownership would be very difficult. Which makes the California mandate that all new vehicles sold in the state must be EV by 2035 simply fairy dust. There are way too many people who live in places where charging an EV at night while it isn't being used just isn't practical (street parking, apartment, condo, etc).

Keith
I'd enjoy your EV benefits while they last.
Wait til i think its 2035 that your woke governor implements all vehicles sold in Cali will be EVs.
At that time maybe there will be millions of EVs on the road all charging hungry.
Up goes the electricity rates whether they own an EV or not its called supply and demand.
Right now the Cali grid and its generating capacity can barely support home AC's all on in hot weather.

I said it once here before, these EVs should be sold by consumer demand and not some politician's decree.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Again, since it's happening in my garage while I sleep,
I know how to prevent my tank of diesel from catching fire in my garage, but I'm a bit fuzzy on how to prevent an EV's battery from bursting into flames while charging. I don't even leave my electric leaf blower battery charging in my garage while I'm sleeping, so there's zero chance I'll feel comfortable charging an EV while I sleep.

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
342 Posts
I said it once here before, these EVs should be sold by consumer demand and not some politician's decree.
100% correct!!!

And...:to get all vehicles in the USA switched over to EV's will take an additional 1073 TWh energy available at the chargers per year, which means about 3700 TWh of natural gas, coal, petroleum burned at the power generation station per year. FYI - Currently the USA only generates around 4000 TWh electrical energy per year total (natural gas, coal, petroleum, renewables, nuclear).

I'd enjoy your EV benefits while they last.
100% correct again. The incentives will eventually dwindle away and the electric rates will skyrocket. Think of a world where every public electrical outlet will be locked/metered/pay. At the moment, it's not so difficult to find a place to plug in my engine block heater at a hotel. Now that EV's are coming more prevalent, I predict it will get more difficult to find a "free" outlet for anything.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
686 Posts
Started a whole discussion on EV’s which wasn’t my intention, but so be it. You do know that it was just ruled that driving is a “Right” and I will exercise myself right by driving a combusted engine. I know that EV’s are fast, I know that EV’s have longevity, I know that EV’s are also Generally ugly, plain and simple.
When’s the last time you saw an EV sitting a car show, (next to a Twilight Blue Metallic 70 Oldsmobile 442, with a factory 455cid motor a factory 4-speed that just “thumps” and you can feel in your bones, smell it in your nose) and say wow that Prius is cool?

Never, and do you know why because the automobile built America, unlike all these other Countries, America’s love affair with Cars came from necessity, big open spaces, freedom of choice, and an overall lack of public transportation outside the cities created a need which in turn created the old adage Baseball, Hot dogs and Chevrolet.

Now Stellantis seems to be on the right path with their current press release with the all electric Charger and who knows maybe that’ll sway me, for now I’ll stick with being able to pick my poison, and be able to tinker with them, and mod them, and help members do the same.

Just remember you can’t tinker with a battery, you can’t open it up without the EPA in your driveway, and you’ll never convince me that it’s better for the environment nor your health.

And remember one more thing there won’t be any more forums to address drivetrain related problems because everything is computer controlled and no there’ll no one to help diagnose and you’ll be stuck with no choice but to take them to a dealer.

I call horse shit when I see it, and by the way I’m in the market for another Big Block 4 speed just to keep me happy, Mac

·
Registered
2011 Laredo X
33 Posts
What a toolbag this guy is. It's dopes like this that give the damn leftists more ammunition to use in their quest to limit our freedoms and mobility. I think the wheels alone are enough justification to put that poor ram out of its misery but anyway just put the damn emissions equipment back on and have some respect for the environment and your fellow man. The truck will pollute just the same off-road as it will on road but concepts like this are probably too difficult for the "Diesel Guys" crowd with their "rolling coal" mating call to understand.

Screw him, I hope his do#!hey looking truck ends up crushed and on a scrap barge to China.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts