Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
This has nothing to do with electric vehicles. Even our 2008 WK with the Mercedes diesel engine had a DPF although there was no DEF so it could not be sold in states that follow the California emissions laws which is why they were even less common than the ecodiesels.

·
Registered
2014 GC Overland Diesel 4x4
378 Posts
An interesting note on the RAM truck that was crushed, he was selling it on Facebook, and had the information on it being deleted in his post. This is how he was found by NJ state EPA. Be careful what you share out there on the web.

·
Premium Member
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
572 Posts
Most ironic thing about all of these emissions "scandals" is the fact that all motor vehicles on the entire planet account for only around 10% of global pollution. The other 90% are power plants and industry. It's like trying to attack a weed by ripping the leaves off, it'll only keep growing back. Only way to make a difference is to take out the roots. Governments are attacking this issue at the wrong angle. That's why I don't feel guilty driving an internal combustion engine vehicle (deleted or not). My jeep is not even close to being a drop in the bucket.
I don’t see this as being about the global effect of the automobile fleet. And also not about global warming or the threatened EV revolution. This is about an ahole allowing his truck to spew soot and noxious compounds in his local neighbourhood He is risking his neighbours’ health (think asthma, emphysema and lung cancer) by deleting equipment that is proven to protect human health. The global effect of one truck is negligible, but the local effect is huge if you are living next door to him or are behind him in traffic and having to breathe air laced with his raw diesel exhaust.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes, the air pollution is the concern here since you aren't saving much fuel by deleting emission controls. You really notice it when you are stopped at a light behind and older truck before they added DPFs.

I don’t see this as being about the global effect of the automobile fleet. And also not about global warming or the threatened EV revolution. This is about an ahole allowing his truck to spew soot and noxious compounds in his local neighbourhood He is risking his neighbours’ health (think asthma, emphysema and lung cancer) by deleting equipment that is proven to protect human health. The global effect of one truck is negligible, but the local effect is huge if you are living next door to him or are behind him in traffic and having to breathe air laced with his raw diesel exhaust.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
314 Posts
Re: "climate change"

Why is it that people are only talking about emissions? If we really wanted to save the planet, why is there no government talk about garbage? The decay of garbage also produces methane, yet we as a species are throwing out more and more crap everyday. And I am not just talking about organics, but everything. Look at all those people that "need" a new cell phone when a new model is released? Never mind products that do not last, why are these governments not forcing companies to build products that last like they use to (watch "light bulb conspiracy"). Look at changes to vehicles over the years, as 1 example; wheel bearings, at one time you use to be able to service them, now they are throw aways.

But all the focus is on vehicle emissions, it seems like combustion vehicles are an easy target. But, having to have new tech is also causing just as much damage when you consider manufacturing and disposal, especially when it has to happen far more often than it use to. I know if it doesn't last, companies make more money - so I guess it is all about the money (including the climate change zealots).

As for the original post, well the owner shouldn't have been so stupid to buy a deleted (or delete) a truck in an area where emissions are enforced, never mind advertise it. That is like going into a bank to rob it and then act surprise when the cops show up. So really he only has himself to blame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: "climate change"

Why is it that people are only talking about emissions? If we really wanted to save the planet, why is there no government talk about garbage? The decay of garbage also produces methane, yet we as a species are throwing out more and more crap everyday. And I am not just talking about organics, but everything. Look at all those people that "need" a new cell phone when a new model is released? Never mind products that do not last, why are these governments not forcing companies to build products that last like they use to (watch "light bulb conspiracy"). Look at changes to vehicles over the years, as 1 example; wheel bearings, at one time you use to be able to service them, now they are throw aways.

But all the focus is on vehicle emissions, it seems like combustion vehicles are an easy target. But, having to have new tech is also causing just as much damage when you consider manufacturing and disposal, especially when it has to happen far more often than it use to. I know if it doesn't last, companies make more money - so I guess it is all about the money (including the climate change zealots).

As for the original post, well the owner shouldn't have been so stupid to buy a deleted (or delete) a truck in an area where emissions are enforced, never mind advertise it. That is like going into a bank to rob it and then act surprise when the cops show up. So really he only has himself to blame.
It is a federal law. For all 50 states. You just can not delete emissions parts. Adding a straight pipe in place of a cat con is illegal. Deleting emissions parts is illegal and stupid.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Limited Diesel
5 Posts
Wow, this thread has me laughing at all the hyperbole, false logic, and masturbatory rationalization. needed that in light of reading the daily news earlier.

Guy buys truck, no way he didn't know it was modified or else he modified it himself. Drives it on public roads, illegal, and gets caught. Boo hoo. Now owes the public for damaging their eco system be it the air they breathe or the dynamic system of the planet or whatever. Repair or crush is fair plus a fine either way. He owes the people because he obviously intended to use it as a regular vehicle that is governed by applicable laws. Zero sympathy for him. Need to catch all the rest of the deletes violating federal law.

It's not human emissions, it's the sun and cosmic rays! Oh my! People love to pull this stuff out of context and without followup all to rationalize their selfishness. The group that worked on verifying this theory at CERN figured out it is a real process that affects climate change but at most is about 10% of human created impacts, not to mention multiple other studies saying similar. But let's just post the hypothesis and not mention the rest. Kudos to the scientist for coming up with this, shame on all the misrepresentation. Don't forget the volcanos! It's not humans, it's the damn volcanos changing the climate. Oh wait, that's largely BS as well. It sure can't be the creatures that are reproducing uncontrollably and measurably spewing vastly more stuff into the environment than ever before. Nope, too obvious. Hey doc, I think the patient is dying from this giant chest wound. Nah, I read that loss of blood is a serious threat to life and this paper cut over here is dripping like a mofo! Sigh.

So Mac, I've heard of B20 diesel and B80 diesel, but now apparently there is T100 "diesel." Does running your rig on 100% testosterone void the warranty?

Deleting a diesel has huge impacts and every rig on the road with a delete should be treated just like the truck at the beginning of this article. EGR and SCR dramatically reduce particulates that harm us through the air we breathe and also reduces the NOx that is over 200 times more powerful of a greenhouse gas than CO2.

BTW, I have a diesel WK2, stock emissions, and my partner has an EV. I thought the diesel made sense when I bought it, but I wouldn't buy it now. I sure as hell am not going to do a delete. I just drive it less, save it for the pulling and distance jobs where EVs aren't quite there, yet. Use the EV and my feet the most.

And for all these arguments, it's always the other thing. Transportation is only this bit, it's the other thing that is actually the problem, not my precious penis-feedom-mobile.

The lowest emission vehicle available is the one that isn't made. Make walkable communities. Produce goods and services locally. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Population control. Work on all these, then maybe humans have a chance.

That's my rant since this thread is just a bunch of whiney BS.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wow, this thread has me laughing at all the hyperbole, false logic, and masturbatory rationalization. needed that in light of reading the daily news earlier.

Guy buys truck, no way he didn't know it was modified or else he modified it himself. Drives it on public roads, illegal, and gets caught. Boo hoo. Now owes the public for damaging their eco system be it the air they breathe or the dynamic system of the planet or whatever. Repair or crush is fair plus a fine either way. He owes the people because he obviously intended to use it as a regular vehicle that is governed by applicable laws. Zero sympathy for him. Need to catch all the rest of the deletes violating federal law.
you should read the articles, youre a little light on facts

BTW, I have a diesel WK2, stock emissions.
FYI: if you bought it used, you dont really know that....your EGR could be turned off and you would never know it.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts