Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you in advance...

I have a 2017 jeep patriot 2.4L 4x4

Driving it the other day and the check engine light came on, and then the jeep stalled

I have not been able to get it to start up again.

here the CEL codes,

P0304
P000A
P000B
P2172
P0365
P0017

I have replaced the CAM POS Sensor(s) intake and exhaust sides
I have replaced the Crankshaft POS Sensor
I have cleared the codes, and still no start

any help would greatly be appreciated

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,703 Posts
P0304 Cylinder 4 Four Misfire Detected
P000A "A" Camshaft Position Slow Response
P000B “B” Camshaft Position Slow Response
P2172 Throttle Actuator Control System - Sudden High Airflow Detected Or Large Vacuum Leak Detected
P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit
P0017 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 ...

What are the chances that 3 sensors went bad all at the exact same moment. You've probably concluded that already, since replacing the sensors didn't fix the problem.

It appears to me, something massively went wrong, and most of these codes are symptoms of what is wrong, not the cause....

I'd check over the wiring, look for a broken or disconnected wire, or a chaffed wire that might be shorted. Start with the Cam Pos sensor that has the code for the Cam Position Sensor Circuit.

Then check over the intake manifold and throttle body, look for loose bolts or hole or anything that could cause a leak. I think the 2.4L has an actuator that opens auxiliary plenums for more power, check that over as well.

The other possibility, you dropped a valve or broke the timing the chain.

My daughter has a 2015 Compass with the 2.4L, she had a Crank Position Sensor go bad, causing the engine to die, but after a wait came back to life, just to repeat the scenario, she had it replaced and the engine has worked perfectly ever since. You've replaced your crank sensor and it changed nothing, so I think you can rule that out.

The engine does crank, right? If you can't the engine to even crank and your battery is charged, I'd suspect a broken timing chain and the valves are contacting the pistons, stopping it from cranking.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,938 Posts
Thank you in advance...

I have a 2017 jeep patriot 2.4L 4x4

Driving it the other day and the check engine light came on, and then the jeep stalled

I have not been able to get it to start up again.

here the CEL codes,

P0304
P000A
P000B
P2172
P0365
P0017

I have replaced the CAM POS Sensor(s) intake and exhaust sides
I have replaced the Crankshaft POS Sensor
I have cleared the codes, and still no start

any help would greatly be appreciated
I am not familiar with that engine so this is just a shot in the dark... Getting all those codes at once for parts that normally are rotating when the engine is running suggests to me that the timing belt broke. Naturally the engine can't run with a broken timing belt and none of the stuff those sensors read is turning when you crank it trying to start it so they all throw codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts