Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new JGC a few days away from reaching my dealer. In checking some recent window stickers on various dealer websites, I am seeing the destination fee of $1445 vs the old fee of $1195. When was this increased? It was $1195 when I place my order. Wonder which price they will charge me. Seems like a $250 increase is a little much in one step. I live on west coast so maybe railroad costs are increasing. Any info on this anyone?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my incoming TrackHawk.

I have a signed agreement for the out the door price though so I am expecting to get the originally quoted amount of $1195.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
The destination fee sure is climbing! Mine was $995 in 2013. I know I'm showing my age, but I remember buying a new car with a MSRP of less than $2000.

·
Premium Member
9,281 Posts
I have a new JGC a few days away from reaching my dealer. In checking some recent window stickers on various dealer websites, I am seeing the destination fee of $1445 vs the old fee of $1195. When was this increased? It was $1195 when I place my order. Wonder which price they will charge me. Seems like a $250 increase is a little much in one step. I live on west coast so maybe railroad costs are increasing. Any info on this anyone?
Price went up a few weeks ago, by a whopping $250 as you noticed. Make sure you get price protection from your dealer.

Bona fide sold orders obtained by the dealer prior to March 1, 2018 will be price protected provided that:

THE CUSTOMER NAME APPEARS ON THE FACTORY ORDER PRIOR TO SHIP DATE (KZ);

... the vehicle is delivered to the ordering customer within (10) calendar days after being received by the dealer (X date)

... and the sale is reported to FCA US LLC under the DealerCONNECT system within 2 calendar days of the sale.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thats crazy. If I recall correctly it was $995 until January of 2017. It then went up to $1095 until around January of 2018, when it went up to $1195. Now in March 2018 it is $1495... thus if i recall correctly it is gone up $500 since December 2016, ie a greater than 50% in a year and one fourth.... glad i bought in October.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Same goes for dealer fees. I see a lot either close or pushing $1,000. Has to be a breaking point sometime soon with all of these fees.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thats a big jump, on my 2014 Limited it was $995 and only went up to $1095 for my 2018 in Nov 2017.

What's a dealer fee? I don't think I've ever paid one.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Thats a big jump, on my 2014 Limited it was $995 and only went up to $1095 for my 2018 in Nov 2017.

Be prepared for more. The new Ram is now $1,650. No way it costs this much to move a new car. I can have one trucked across the country cheaper.

Dealers normally tack on their own fees, have for decades now. Normally they call it a document or administrative fee.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
The dealer usually labels them as "doc" or documentation fees.... Also seen them labeled as "Delivery" or "Admin" or "dealer prep" fees.

Sometimes it could be under multiple line items. Had one that at first glance appeared to have a reasonable "doc" fee, but then I found they also added another $300 under a line item of "Tax & Title filing fees". (That was in addition to the ACTUAL tax and title fees of the county / state, this fee was supposed to cover admin fees to file it.... :eek: )

Basically its any extra fee the dealer adds on above the actual price of the vehicle. And yes, I agree, some of them are insanely high but I tell the dealer up front, I only care about the out the door price.

Wherever they want to make their money is fine but I would be comparing total price to other dealer total prices. So if one dealer has a doc fee $200 more than another, then they would have to come off $200 in the vehicle price to make up for it.

One more note. Sometimes the dealer making the money in doc fees can work to your advantage as in many states it is not taxable... So if they try to make $2000 in the vehicle price, you pay tax on that $2000. If they make $1200 on the vehicle and $800 in doc fees then you COULD only pay tax on the $1200... It varies by state though.

Reactions: irishbrahm

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
603 Posts
Yeah they bumped it up recently, one of the guys on the JL forum lives about 20 miles from the Toledo factory and still has to pay the $1495(or whatever it is now) destination fee......cars shipped from Japan have destination fees about half that now.....kinda nuts.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
......cars shipped from Japan have destination fees about half that now.....kinda nuts.
Yep - Jeep should look into shipping by cargo ship now to lower the cost (oh wait, actually shipping cost isn't why)! :D They really should offer a factory pick up, just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That's when I tell the dealer to give me more on my trade in and shave more off the msrp or forget it. They still make their money, just not as much. Every dealer has a bottom number, you just have to fight with them to get as close to it as possible. I try to buy towards the end of the year or a left over when they will be heavily discounted to help reduce the pain of these so called fees. I paid 36k after tax and fees for my 2017 JGC limited. Sticker was 44.5k. Invoice was probably around 41k. Had my dealer raise my trade in value twice until I felt it was a fair trade in value.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I also find it funny that a so called American car has higher destination fees then some imports that I bought. My Subaru which was made in Japan had a lower destination fee.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
I also find it funny that a so called American car has higher destination fees then some imports that I bought. My Subaru which was made in Japan had a lower destination fee.
Subaru currently charges $915 for destination...and they are made in Indiana. :) Not that much less than JGC.

That said, I do think that this increase is getting to "over the top" status for shipping/handling of a vehicle from the factory to the dealership and any other services it includes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Subaru currently charges $915 for destination...and they are made in Indiana. :) Not that much less than JGC.

That said, I do think that this increase is getting to "over the top" status for shipping/handling of a vehicle from the factory to the dealership and any other services it includes.
My Subaru forester was made in Japan not Indiana. Maybe the current models are and 915 is still a lot less then 1400+.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dealer fees are negotiable, the destination is not. It’s essentially an increase in the vehicle msrp. A 50% increase in destination over the last 15 months is rediculous.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Dealer fees are negotiable, the destination is not. It’s essentially an increase in the vehicle msrp. A 50% increase in destination over the last 15 months is rediculous.
That's why you have to negotiate something else to make up the difference.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
307 Posts
You know what gets me with the destination prices? When I was bouncing around with what to buy before the Jeep, I was looking at a Tundra and a 4Runner. The Tundra, built in Texas had a destination fee of $1,195. The 4Runner, which comes here on a ship from Japan? $995. How does that work?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts