Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 2018 Trailhawk and on my 2015, my radio would auto update the time every day light savings. I noticed on this one, I had to set it manually. I have the setting checked that its supposed to sync with GPS, I'm wondering if I am missing a setting somewhere else specifically for day lights savings. Its not a big deal to have to manually update, I'm just curious if they changed it from the 2015 radio.

Anyone else with a 2018 notice the time didn't update?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I have a 2018 and it updated automatically about 30 seconds after I pulled out of my garage Sunday morning. I'm not aware of any setting other than the GPS synch parameter that has to be checked.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2018 and it updated automatically about 30 seconds after I pulled out of my garage Sunday morning. I'm not aware of any setting other than the GPS synch parameter that has to be checked.
Interesting, I wonder whats up with mine.

My 2014 which is set to sync with GPS has not updated yet.
Maybe there is a delay in the update? Not sure. I'll check again when I leave work. I mean its sounds so dumb to even complain about I just think its odd it hasn't updated yet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2018 updated immediately upon startup on Sunday morning.

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
gps time never changes - it knows nothing about daylight and standard times - adjustment for dst is a separate selectable function

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,224 Posts
gps time never changes - it knows nothing about daylight and standard times - adjustment for dst is a separate selectable function
Actually, it does as the GPS maps should indicate what local times are, including DST. When I was out west this past spring, it switched automatically as I went into and out of Arizona (which does not honor DST). The Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX in my MX5 updates automatically with DST on or off as well and so does my Garmin unit.

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
schmieg - that is not a function of the gps time - it is a function of the software that is "massaging" the gps time for viewing - the gps (read as universal or satellite) time remains constant - it is adjusted by software for time zone and for daylight or standard times as necessary for viewing - when one sets up the time in the radio it is set for a particular zone (atlantic, eastern, etc) so the software knows how to adjust from gps/universal/satellite time correctly

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
As an example - in my 2006 there is a box for DST however if i check it the time changes on the wrong dates as the calendar dates for DST were changed in later years but the software in the car doesn't know that - now i have to go and adjust the GPS +/- amount manually to account for the time changes

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,224 Posts
As an example - in my 2006 there is a box for DST however if i check it the time changes on the wrong dates as the calendar dates for DST were changed in later years but the software in the car doesn't know that - now i have to go and adjust the GPS +/- amount manually to account for the time changes
The 2014 does not have anything to set DST; neither does the Pioneer nor the Garmin. It is set by they system based upon the GPS location which is what I said earlier. Using the GPS location, the GPS in the car adjusts the time, so it changes as you go across time zones or go in and out of areas that use DST.

I believe you are using a restrictive definition of GPS limiting it to the satellite system and not a more inclusive one which would include the receiver and translator systems. Most people will use the term GPS to include the latter. Technically, we don't have GPS in the cars, but GPS receivers. No one uses that term unless they want to pick nits and it doesn't help the OP at all.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interestingly enough, I went out to my truck at lunch time and the time was an hour ahead from what I set it at this morning manually. I checked off the GPS sync and the time changed to the correct time.

I do believe the Sync with GPS is the setting that's used to determine DST based on your location. Maybe this time around it took my system longer than normal. Really weird.

·
Registered
2018 WK2 Altitude
138 Posts
2018 JGC Altitude w/8.4 - Pacific Time.

Mine went back a hour mid Saturday night around 6pm?!?!?!?

I was all confused for a good 20 minutes until I realized what happened. I left it alone and forgot to check it since that time. I'll check it again when I leave work this afternoon.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
62 Posts
My 2014 is set to update on it's own but I have figured out over the years the setting doesn't remain. It just defaults back to the non daylight savings setting. Just like the radio loudness setting. So many things I have just given up on with this vehicle.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just checked my early model year '14 with 8.4AN and it made the change to DST automatically. Never had a problem with it making the change.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mine went back a hour mid Saturday night around 6pm?!?!?!?
Same thing happened with mine last night. I have a 2018 GC HA and when I got off work last night at 11:30pm I noticed the time was an hour BEHIND the actual time. DST wasn't supposed to change for another several hours and even then it is supposed to "spring forward" an hour, not "fall back".

I played with the settings as I drove home, taking it in and out of the mode that syncs time with GPS. I could make it the correct time in manual mode but when I checked the GPS sync box it always reverted back to being an hour behind. I'll check it again today, after it sat overnight in the garage to think about it. :)

From reading this thread, there apparently is no DST box to check in the settings for the later model years like my old Chrysler used to have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts