Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my ‘14 Summit ecosiesel for a hemi Overland High Altitude. ( yes, it’s both, it’s an Overland with an optional High Altitude option so it has all the Summit bodywork, and the black out look too)

After 5 trips to 2 different dealerships to fix a vibration problem, probably 5+ weeks without my Summit over several months, I threw in the towel. That and my wife refused to ride in it on our weekend trips up to WI because of the vibrations. I’m smart enough at my age to know “ happy wife, happy life”. I have to say that owning this diesel has been a constant love-hate thing, in 40 years and close to a million miles of driving in my life this vehicle has been through more updates, recalls and repairs than anything I’ve ever owned....ok maybe the 1973 Chevy Vega I foolishly bought brand new in ‘73 was the worst. But it tows the race car trailer do damn well. When it isn’t causing problems.

So far I’m loving the V8 instant response on the daily commute. No more turbo lag at every light waiting for boost to build. My Chevy Duramax and Ford Powerstrokes in the past never had turbolag like this one. And yea I’ll miss the fuel economy too but at least here in the people’s republic of Illinois regular gas is $.30-.40 per gallon lower than the mandated B20 diesel so overall cost will probably balance. And I have a commercial account at Enterprise Commercial with my business so when I need a diesel for a weekend haul to a race 500 miles away I’ll go rent a 3/4 ton Cummins or Powerstroke pickup.

So back to the good old V8 again, my 3rd Grand Cherokee V8.

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
did you try that GDE tune? i hear from everyone they make the jeep into a completely different vehicle. i mean too late now but just wondering.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you try that GDE tune? i hear from everyone they make the jeep into a completely different vehicle. i mean too late now but just wondering.
No, I leave all my street cars completely stock, any of these tunes will void warranty, and almost none are emissions legal.

Reactions: 48548 and sardo_67

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
depends on the local dealer, the tunes can be had just to adjust shift points and things like that, not all of them up the HP 40%.

i'm 99% sure they make a tune for the gas jobs and transmission tunes as well that won't always void warranties as warranty work comes down to what the dealer will/won't cover.
Transmission Tune - GDE - Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel Transmission Tune -
don't mean to argue or what ever but some options to make the jeep a better driving experience. i've also given up on massively modding my vehicles as it's just pissing money away, i just stick to the small stuff now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Traded my ‘14 Summit ecosiesel for a hemi Overland High Altitude. ( yes, it’s both, it’s an Overland with an optional High Altitude option so it has all the Summit bodywork, and the black out look too)

After 5 trips to 2 different dealerships to fix a vibration problem, probably 5+ weeks without my Summit over several months, I threw in the towel. That and my wife refused to ride in it on our weekend trips up to WI because of the vibrations. I’m smart enough at my age to know “ happy wife, happy life”. I have to say that owning this diesel has been a constant love-hate thing, in 40 years and close to a million miles of driving in my life this vehicle has been through more updates, recalls and repairs than anything I’ve ever owned....ok maybe the 1973 Chevy Vega I foolishly bought brand new in ‘73 was the worst. But it tows the race car trailer do damn well. When it isn’t causing problems.

So far I’m loving the V8 instant response on the daily commute. No more turbo lag at every light waiting for boost to build. My Chevy Duramax and Ford Powerstrokes in the past never had turbolag like this one. And yea I’ll miss the fuel economy too but at least here in the people’s republic of Illinois regular gas is $.30-.40 per gallon lower than the mandated B20 diesel so overall cost will probably balance. And I have a commercial account at Enterprise Commercial with my business so when I need a diesel for a weekend haul to a race 500 miles away I’ll go rent a 3/4 ton Cummins or Powerstroke pickup.

3rd V8? I’ve been thinking about getting an ED but after reading all the reviews and problems I have decided to go with a V8. How many miles do you think I’ll get out of the engine on a hemi V8 in your humble opinion? I’m the type of guy who likes to keep his vehicles for a long while and take good care of them.

·
Registered
81 Posts

You know after your comment I totally decided to give up on my search for an ECD although, I had been looking everywhere and considered buying one of the members ED here on the forums and bought myself a V8 Hemi yesterday!!!! I have to admit I couldn’t be happier! I bought the summit edition with gunmetal gray and all the bells and whistles with the rear entertainment. Thank you for making my decision it’s too bad car manufacturers in our country can’t get their .... straight to pass the EPA standards then us the consumer last are left behind to tackle with all the stupid class action suits! Anyway, I just got home from the dmv and the new tags are already on it. IMG_2246.JPG

·
Registered
790 Posts
You know after your comment I totally decided to give up on my search for an ECD although, I had been looking everywhere and considered buying one of the members ED here on the forums and bought myself a V8 Hemi yesterday!!!! I have to admit I couldn’t be happier! I bought the summit edition with gunmetal gray and all the bells and whistles with the rear entertainment. Thank you for making my decision it’s too bad car manufacturers in our country can’t get their .... straight to pass the EPA standards then us the consumer last are left behind to tackle with all the stupid class action suits! Anyway, I just got home from the dmv and the new tags are already on it. View attachment 182618
Nice vehicle Hookiedon: I have a 2015 Diesel and love it, great gas mileage and range while towing. Super torque. Had that Hemi engine in my Challenger. Terrific engine and flawless. Hey when you start towing if you plan to do it. Please keep us up to speed on how it's cooling system works under load up a grade. Also let us know how the gas mileage is under towing conditions. Who knows what the Fed's will do with our ecodiesels in the future with flashes. Probably screw them up.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too loved my diesel especially for towing. 14mpg pulling a 6500# enclosed race car trailer was awesome. But that was just 5or 6 weekends a year. The rest of the time I couldn’t get past the turbo lag in daily driving. My wife hated it too, especially compared to her Audi which has absolutely zero turbo lag. Then the cold weather vibrations started, so bad she refused to even ride in it, so that was unfortunately the nail in the coffin.
I hear what people say about the GDE tune, but I had no desire to void my warranty. I’m sure there are dealers out there that either wouldn’t figure out the vehicle had been modified, or will let it slide, but it’s still a tampered, modified vehicle. And without CARB certification (expen$ive to get) it’s tampered emissions which is illegal. Id have loved to test driven a GDE modded diesel to see how it works but not on mine.
Will I miss the diesel efficiency when I start towing again this summer? Absolutely! But in my daily commuting I’m loving the instant response of the hemi. And if after my first tow I think the V8 is less than ideal, I’ll use my company commercial account with Enterprise and rent one of their Ram 2500 Cummins pickups and have the best of both worlds.
Ultimately my ecodiesel was a very early 2014 production vehicle- July 2013 build- so maybe that influenced the problems. For those that have had no problems, I’m jealous. But there will always be a relatively small percent of vehicles built that have issues, I guess I pulled the short straw.
And I’d be remiss if I didn’t say thanks to our Jeep advocates on this forum. They jumped in when I first voiced my concerns and worked with the dealer to try resolving the problem. Communication was great, got frequent updates as to what was transpiring at the dealer. They were one of the main reasons I stuck with the brand and didn’t completely throw in the towel and go to an Audi Q7.

·
Registered
45 Posts
3rd V8? I’ve been thinking about getting an ED but after reading all the reviews and problems I have decided to go with a V8. How many miles do you think I’ll get out of the engine on a hemi V8 in your humble opinion? I’m the type of guy who likes to keep his vehicles for a long while and take good care of them.

i'm at 152,000 now, engine still as strong today as when i first bought it. and i don't have a light foot by any means! :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
i'm at 152,000 now, engine still as strong today as when i first bought it. and i don't have a light foot by any means! :D

I’m loving these reviews! I took my hemi out today and I must say I absolutely love my summit. I’m hoping it’ll last me 200K mikes as I have everything I would need right now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I’m loving these reviews! I took my hemi out today and I must say I absolutely love my summit. I’m hoping it’ll last me 200K mikes as I have everything I would need right now.
How about some information on gas mileage towing and especially coolant performance while towing up a grade with the Hemi. We may all end up with a Hemi's if FCA screws up our Jeeps.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm on fence going to a gas motor in the WK2. I will look into the Canyon crew cab with duramax diesel with short bed or a LR Disco lease and turn it in at its end.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm on fence going to a gas motor in the WK2. I will look into the Canyon crew cab with duramax diesel with short bed or a LR Disco lease and turn it in at its end.
If you need a little reinforcement.... I just drove mine 1300 miles 80-85 mph all the way and averaged 27.5 MPG at that speed. I've already been the Hemi route in a RAM, Great motor but couldn't live with the fuel economy....:p

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you need a little reinforcement.... I just drove mine 1300 miles 80-85 mph all the way and averaged 27.5 MPG at that speed. I've already been the Hemi route in a RAM, Great motor but couldn't live with the fuel economy....:p
I love the gas mileage in my Diesel jeep also. While towing 2500lbs I get 18-21MPG. The emissions system has sent me false codes giving me the 200 mile count down to no start. Almost stranded me on vacation. I now carry my code reader. Have no idea what kind of "fix" FCA is trying to retrofit to our jeeps. I find it interesting articles on the New RAM truck don't show a diesel option to much later in the 2019 cycle. But FCA won't confirm it. Ford and Chevy are coming out with diesels also. Probably learning a lot from what FCA has gone through with this engine. Hopefully the new FCA diesel will have the issues handled and the engine performance HP, Torque and fuel mileage doesn't suffer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wanted a diesel too, mostly for the fuel economy. My dream vehicle was a Trailhawk diesel. I friend advised me to test drive the hemi, which I never considered. I did and bought my Trailhawk hemi in October. Drove it about 8,500 miles on trips. I don’t commute with it. The only down side of the Hemi is the fuel economy, but it also depends on how you look at it: if you look at the big picture, it may not be as bad as it looks in raw numbers. The extra few hundred dollars spent on gas every year come with many advantages: it’s a lot faster and a lot more responsive when you need it, qualifies for Maxcare, costs a little less, you don’t need to do any special tunes that may void warranty and may be illegal and cost extra, has plenty of torque for towing, etc. In the end the hemi it might be a little more costly altogether but that may be or may be not. What for sure is: it’s a lot more fun to drive due to the responsiveness and extra power. And I won’t worry about software upgrades, emission tests and whatever the future for diesel might bring.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I wanted a diesel too, mostly for the fuel economy. My dream vehicle was a Trailhawk diesel. I friend advised me to test drive the hemi, which I never considered. I did and bought my Trailhawk hemi in October. Drove it about 8,500 miles on trips. I don’t commute with it. The only down side of the Hemi is the fuel economy, but it also depends on how you look at it: if you look at the big picture, it may not be as bad as it looks in raw numbers. The extra few hundred dollars spent on gas every year come with many advantages: it’s a lot faster and a lot more responsive when you need it, qualifies for Maxcare, costs a little less, you don’t need to do any special tunes that may void warranty and may be illegal and cost extra, has plenty of torque for towing, etc. In the end the hemi it might be a little more costly altogether but that may be or may be not. What for sure is: it’s a lot more fun to drive due to the responsiveness and extra power. And I won’t worry about software upgrades, emission tests and whatever the future for diesel might bring.
Well having "Special tunes" aren't required any ways, ( I don't have them and it runs great !) you won't get 28 MPG at 80-85 MPH and most importantly if you are towing, The Eco will prob double the mileage you'd get in a hemi on the same load. If you tow or rap a lot of miles on, the torque and efficiency of the Eco will pay back pretty rapidly.....

I used to have a Hemi so I'm well aware of what they do fuel wise, loaded and unloaded, and they have to have 89 octane min to run decently.... Mine was a 100.00 a week guzzler when gas was 3.50 + 3-4 years ago... One of the reasons I went to all diesel...

Reactions: philbytx
1 - 20 of 34 Posts