Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Got the use of a CRD Ltd whilst mines off the road to fix yet another round of Gremlins! It's a 2011 with only 17k on it, but it is noticably more powerful than my 2012 CRD Overland with only 21k on it....and the engines quieter. I am forced into purchasing Shell only, but wonder what the general consensus is on preferred Diesel. I wonder if other fuel oils give better MPG and power than Shell?

·
Premium Member
MY12 JGC Overland
872 Posts
I always use BP ultimate Diesel. Significantly better fuel economy than standard BP Diesel.

·
Premium Member
Jeep SRT
2,188 Posts
Same Shit....Same Smell
I use whatever is cheapest, usually Shell with the 8cp/l discount.

·
Premium Member
GC Overland
2,466 Posts
I generally use Caltex Vortex, but that is mainly because it is convenient. I honestly don't think there is much of a difference between diesel fuels.

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,640 Posts
I agree with allypally. It is highly unlikely you would be able to reliably measure a difference in performance with fuels let alone feel it. My guess is it's the tyres. Dealers always overinflate tyres. It makes the steering feel light and the car more responsive. Let the pressure down to what you are used to and see. If it's not that then it's obviously...:rolleyes: ...your Mopar stainless pedals!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I think it does make a difference, we use caltex vortex premium when at home (Darwin ), when we go on trips and fill up in Katherine on caltex vortex (not the premium, it's not available in Katherine ) I record over a litre/100 more fuel used on the non premium, all highway work very similar conditions for driving.
I will always use premium diesel if its available because of the better fuel economy I have seen using it

·
Premium Member
GC Overland
2,466 Posts
You don't think that is because when you drive DOWN south it is easier than driving UP north? :D

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
You don't think that is because when you drive DOWN south it is easier than driving UP north? :D
Yer driving down hill is easier than driving up hill, but I always seem to speed going down ;-(.
Was still heading south from Katherine so can rule out the up hill down bit lol

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,640 Posts
I think it does make a difference, we use caltex vortex premium when at home (Darwin ), when we go on trips and fill up in Katherine on caltex vortex (not the premium, it's not available in Katherine ) I record over a litre/100 more fuel used on the non premium, all highway work very similar conditions for driving.
I will always use premium diesel if its available because of the better fuel economy I have seen using it
On the Caltex web site, they list Vortex Diesel as one of their Vortex Premium Fuels. They make no distinction between a Vortex Premium Diesel and a Vortex Diesel. But then what oil companies say they do and what they actually do are often different. On the other hand, the guy in Katherine may have got hold of some dodgy diesel they siphoned off the boat people boats. :)

Here is a post I found that sounds plausible,
"I had a phone conversation with a tech from Caltex a couple of weeks ago and he said that the difference between Vortex and normal diesel is that Vortex has the addition of a detergent, anti foaming agent and a scent(perfume) to disguise the diesel smell. Two cent/litre price difference when I looked."

A review of diesel fuels I did some time ago shows consistency among the majority of diesels. Typically they nominated the following criteria limits although some stated unconvincingly that usually they achieved better:
Sulphur ≤ 10 ppm; Cetane ≥ 46; Lubricity ≤ 460 microns
There were two standouts that were prepared to be definitive. They were:
Shell Diesel Extra
Sulphur 8 ppm; Cetane 49; Lubricity 400 microns
BP Ultimate Diesel
Sulphur 5 ppm; Cetane 52; Lubricity 400 microns

BP would have to be the pick. Not only cleaner but a higher cetane rating. The cetane rating is the measure of how efficiently the fuel burns. Diesels fuels typically have a similar energy rating but with a higher cetane rating, more of that energy is obtainable.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
BobT, this is not just a 1 off, it happens every time I fill up in Katherine (travel through their several times a year as my father and brother live there), I am talking personal experience, you can believe what you choose, I have the evidence in my fuel logs, I will continue to use premium diesel where it is available as I do get better fuel economy with it.
Yoda

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,640 Posts
BobT, this is not just a 1 off, it happens every time I fill up in Katherine (travel through their several times a year as my father and brother live there), I am talking personal experience, you can believe what you choose, I have the evidence in my fuel logs, I will continue to use premium diesel where it is available as I do get better fuel economy with it.
Yoda
I never doubted your experience for one minute. I'm just at a loss to find an explanation for it in the literature but that is my failure not yours.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good find Bob. Whats the thoughts on adding further additives.....a few guys in the office swear by it, claiming more kms per tank but not sure of the compatibility with hp CRDs. ...They reckon it increases the cetane level that I am about to google because I have no idea about cetanes, how much they are and where to buy them!!!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have been using BP Ultimate 99% of the time. On the weekend I had to use standard Shell (premium not available at Rainbow Beach) and I noted consumption was considerably higher with the standard diesel at 10.2L/100km with 90% highway driving. On the trip to Sydney last December (with Ultimate) and 95% highway driving I got 7.8L/100km. That difference even sounds excessive to me but I think premium does make a difference in the JGC and is worth the extra few cents.
I used Ultimate (unleaded) in my sprint kart going back some years after testing other premium fuels and it was a standout for keeping the two stroke clean. So maybe I am biased because of that...

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,640 Posts
Good find Bob. Whats the thoughts on adding further additives.....a few guys in the office swear by it, claiming more kms per tank but not sure of the compatibility with hp CRDs. ...They reckon it increases the cetane level that I am about to google because I have no idea about cetanes, how much they are and where to buy them!!!!!
I did that sort of thing in my younger days when oils and fuels were basic but these days quality oils and fuels are such highly complex concoctions that I avoid it. Also, with litigation the way it is, I suspect many additives are designed more to do no harm than to do any good. You might remember the STP oil improvement products that proved to be little more than just oil. There may well be good products out there but unless it is backed by valid and reproducible data, one has nothing but someones anecdotal impression and we know how unreliable that can be.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, but what about 2 stroke as an additive. Heard great things with it's enhanced lube properties, quieting down the engine, better fuel consumption and prolonged life. (Engine I mean, not imortality!!)

·
Premium Member
GC Overland
2,466 Posts
2 stroke is simply petrol with an oil mixture. May as well pour some 2 stroke oil into your tank, then watch the smoke in the exhaust.
As for additives, surely if the additive comes in a shiny stainless steel can, with an aluminium ringpull top, as well as have some bright red writing on the sides, it MUST BE BENEFICIAL.:lol:

·
Premium Member
MY12 JGC Overland
872 Posts
I wouldn't even contemplate adding any sort of additive to the JGC diesel. Why would you want to risk shortening the life of your DPF? That is half the reason that the oils for the CRD are so expensive, so the minuscule amounts of oil that are burnt through combustion does not effect the DPF.

·
Registered
Laredo
45 Posts
While running his tour business with a variety of 4 and 6 cylinder diesels my old man tried out a variety of diesel, from the major suppliers to the independents. In the end Shell and BP came out about even followed by Caltex. He didn't have anything nice to say about the independents, they ended up giving significantly worse fuel economy, as much as an extra half a tank or more usage on identical trips.

For me it is Shell, BP or Caltex, but that is because my lease company gives me a fuel card from those three.

·
Premium Member
GC Overland
2,466 Posts
There was an independent in Blacktown who was selling a very good diesel blend.
However, it was found that what he was selling was stolen fuel from tanker drivers from the major brands, who were skimming their loads.

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,640 Posts
I've been getting Shell diesel a Wahroonga since I've had the car but I've always wondered why it was labelled simply "diesel" since we get very few trucks there. So I contacted Shell. They advised that they produce both "diesel" and "diesel extra" with both being suitable for both trucks and cars but diesel extra is always labelled "diesel extra". So I might be looking elsewhere for fuel. I'd feel happier getting the nicer stuff, if a bit dearer, for my pride and joy. Ironically, "diesel extra" is touted as ideal for heavy trucks and the mining industry because of its injector cleaning properties claimed to provide a 3% long term increase in fuel efficiency.

Update: I asked Shell what "Diesoline 10" is. They replied as follows:
"Diesoline 10 is standard low sulphur Diesel - not sure why the TDS call it Diesoline 10. The specifications for Diesel & Diesel Extra are the same - it is the additive package ie surfactants / anti oxidant / etc that is different."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts