Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has stated her headlights look dimmer when she drives. Her 2013 JGC Overland has the original bulbs installed I don’t see much of a difference between them and my 2020 Ram 1500 but I do not have the D1S bulbs like the JGC. My questions:
Do the D1S bulbs degrade over time or just burn out?
Can you replace with LED based bulbs without removing the OE Ballast?
Any comments and or recommendations is appreciated.
Thank you,
Chuck

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
HID bulbs dim overtime. I just replaced the ones in my 2015 as I was noticing they weren't as bright as when it was new. I replaced with new Osram D3S bulbs. I'm sure an LED swap would be possible but it would require rewiring.

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,155 Posts
In the old days (1990!) I remember that if headlights started to become noticeably dimmer when driving, then get the serpentine belt and alternator checked as it might be the start of an alternator issue.
Any problems with other electronics playing up, bad starting, etc?
It's just a thought, as I got no idea of the tech that's put into vehicles nowadays, and it could simply be the bulbs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HID bulbs dim overtime. I just replaced the ones in my 2015 as I was noticing they weren't as bright as when it was new. I replaced with new Osram D3S bulbs. I'm sure an LED swap would be possible but it would require rewiring.
thank you
Did your 2015 have the D1S bulbs originally?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally had some time to work on this, 3 months later. Am I correct that the DRL bulbs only light up when when the projector bulbs are off, or are they supposed to help as low beams as well?
Thank you
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Grille Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2018 Limited
383 Posts
Maybe it's just your pictures but it looks like your headlights will also be noticeably dimmer because they are no longer clear and need to be cleaned/restored.

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,155 Posts
My WJ headlamps looked misted and aged. I restored them using water, wet and dry sandpaper (800/1500/2000) and finished off with applying body wax to buff them clear. Now, whenever they look dirty, all I have to do is wash and apply the wax to rejuvenate them. Plenty of videos on You Tube on how to do this.

*Baking soda and toothpaste tactics didn't work for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe it's just your pictures but it looks like your headlights will also be noticeably dimmer because they are no longer clear and need to be cleaned/restored.
Mike - I think it's just the photos, the plastic looks pretty clear, but the interior looks dusty. But I will look into the sanding and waxing.

·
Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
393 Posts
Since everyone wanted to say your lens' sucked and didn't answer your question.

When the DRL's are on (high beams at a reduced power output) the Low beam HID's are off.....only way the HID and DRL(high beams) would be on at the same time is if the headlamp switch is on and high beams are engaged

1 - 11 of 11 Posts