Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
281 - 300 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me it doesn't work like that. It cycles through the different screens. I leave mine on performance pages so I can monitor temps and boost but on its own it will go to the radio, or media or climate....etc you get the point. If it were that easy I don't think you would be hearing so many complaints.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So the dealer has me in a Dodge Durango and I noticed that a lot of the controls go through the head unit. I can see the issue with this long term.

The 22 Jeep Grans Cherokee that I purchased has physical controls and also can access them through the head unit or infotainment, I like this feature, one reason I shifted away from my 2021 Ford Edge ST - was super fun to drive for the last 8 months.

Can one get an aftermarket head unit that retain all these features or are you limited to FCA Head Unit only?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
41 Posts
Just a thought here for those of you having the same "the uconnect screen does what it wants" issue as we are. Yes, when on climate control, it randomly changes everything and has even turned the heated seats on when it is 92* outside... Yes, the navigation screen wants to do its own thing... Yes the radio will sound like BumbleBee in the Transformers movies trying to speak... Etc, etc, etc...

It is annoying as hell and I totally get that it can be a safety concern when it happens while driving and trying to fix a setting that doesn't want to stay set.

SO - Why not take a sensibly safe approach to not having a wreck until you get the issue cared for one way or another ? Simply have an app up on the screen that will not affect your driving comfort. Set your creature comforts where you want them and then go to something like the Off Road pages app where you get to see the pitch/roll/dymanics? That screen can bounce around all it wants and not make you uncomfortable. Or maybe set your controls and then turn the screen off before you drop it in gear?

Sure it's an inconvenience, but keeps you from driving into a guard rail or oncoming traffic by accident. We are all victims of the screen delamination issue, but don't let it ruin your life. Just sayin......

Not looking to start arguments, as we all know this needs to be cared for properly. Just thinking out loud in the interim so nobody dies until yours gets fixed.

(Stepping off my soap box now)
I do turn my screen off as soon as I get my temp settings, or whatever I need done. However, if using navigation, the screen still heats up even with the screen off, so that is not even a temporary fix [in my opinion], but that is what I am having to do until Jeep or UConnect decides it will do a recall. Still hoping enough users fill out the class action suit complaint as just calling UConnect [or JeepCares] does not force them to include my state in a fix.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
41 Posts
I do turn my screen off as soon as I get my temp settings, or whatever I need done. However, if using navigation, the screen still heats up even with the screen off, so that is not even a temporary fix [in my opinion], but that is what I am having to do until Jeep or UConnect decides it will do a recall. Still hoping enough users fill out the class action suit complaint as just calling UConnect [or JeepCares] does not force them to include my state in a fix.
The delamination is spreading, regardless of having my screen on or off, it is still heating up and delaminating more these are taken just 6 weeks apart.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
@JeepCares — Can you please message me? Having the same issue.
Thank you.
Hi Jyonni,

We'd be happy to look into this for you! Please give a call to 800-826-6632 and we can review your concerns.

Steph
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a 2018 Jeep GC Altitude with 28k miles in February. It had been inspected and serviced at 2 Jeep dealerships in the last 6 months prior to our purchase, plus the Echopark service center. Wasn’t aware of the delaminating issue when we purchased, but within 2 weeks it started doing the “ghost touch” effect, jumping between all the apps and calling numbers. It has only gotten worse in the last 4 months, to the point where using the radio is impossible. Took it to the dealership where we get service and oil changes, confirmed it was the delaminating issue but replacement would have to be out of pocket since warranty expired. Hard for me to believe it wasn’t doing this prior to us purchasing and is complete coincidence that it started happening within 2 weeks. This should be a covered recall PERIOD, but @JeepCares should at least be offering 1 time goodwill warranty replacements for all confirmed defective radios in these models.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Bought a 2018 Jeep GC Altitude with 28k miles in February. It had been inspected and serviced at 2 Jeep dealerships in the last 6 months prior to our purchase, plus the Echopark service center. Wasn’t aware of the delaminating issue when we purchased, but within 2 weeks it started doing the “ghost touch” effect, jumping between all the apps and calling numbers. It has only gotten worse in the last 4 months, to the point where using the radio is impossible. Took it to the dealership where we get service and oil changes, confirmed it was the delaminating issue but replacement would have to be out of pocket since warranty expired. Hard for me to believe it wasn’t doing this prior to us purchasing and is complete coincidence that it started happening within 2 weeks. This should be a covered recall PERIOD, but @JeepCares should at least be offering 1 time goodwill warranty replacements for all confirmed defective radios in these models.
We can take a look into this for you, bjh0011. Feel welcome to send us a private message with your VIN and any additional details from your visit at the dealer to get started.

Steph
Jeep Cares

·
Administrator
11,615 Posts
You need to participate in the foum longer in order to have access to use the private messaging (Conversations) feature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to drop my experience in here. I called Uconnect, said hey I have an out of warranty GC with a delaminating screen, I read you've helped others with that, can you help me? They said sure, bring it in to a dealership and call after diagnoses.

I did that all and UC said sure we'll cover it. So the dealership was apparently run by frogs or something because they were braindead, ordered the part without my consent, ignores UCs emails and then dodged me for 3 weeks. Finally got a hold of them and they said "well why did you order the part." I'm like uh I don't work there you did lol. They said ok well we need to return it and reorder a different way for a 3rd party to pay.

I was fed up, called UC back and they said no worry, pay, send invoices and we'll reimburse. They mailed my check today.

If you're having this issue, call UC, they were great.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just want to drop my experience in here. I called Uconnect, said hey I have an out of warranty GC with a delaminating screen, I read you've helped others with that, can you help me? They said sure, bring it in to a dealership and call after diagnoses.

I did that all and UC said sure we'll cover it. So the dealership was apparently run by frogs or something because they were braindead, ordered the part without my consent, ignores UCs emails and then dodged me for 3 weeks. Finally got a hold of them and they said "well why did you order the part." I'm like uh I don't work there you did lol. They said ok well we need to return it and reorder a different way for a 3rd party to pay.

I was fed up, called UC back and they said no worry, pay, send invoices and we'll reimburse. They mailed my check today.

If you're having this issue, call UC, they were great.
Was this St. Clair Chrysler Jeep? Wouldn’t be surprised if it was

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I finally had a chance to have the dealer look at my '19. They confirmed the problem and are covering it under my MaxCare no questions asked. Just waiting for the part to come in. Turns out it needs a radiator too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all I have a 2018 Jeep Compass and was 1year 4 months out of warranty but under 36k miles. My issue was the radio would randomly change, navigation didn't work, and if I had my phone plugged in it would randomly call people. The dealership couldn't help but was willing to charge $1100 to replace. Well single mom paying for daughters college, can't afford $1100. So I found a video (
) and I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. It was time consuming and messy but only cost me $17.00 (for the dashboard tool, two sided tape and bondo spreaders) I will say if you try just be careful and not in a hurry. Took me about 2 hours total. Hope you all find this helpful. Patty

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Hey Steph, I went to the JeepCares account but I don't see a private message option?
Hi bjh0011,

If you are not able to message us, you can certainly give a call to 877-426-5337 and we can review your concerns from there.

Steph
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Durango
3 Posts
2018 Durango, bought Nov 2017. Last summer delamination started, but I thought it was something melting at the top and coming down. Took a picture of it last November. No problems until it started ghost touching late August this year. After searching for a while found sites like this one. I finally contacted Uconnect through their contact page, left a description of the problem. About 3 weeks from first contact to getting the Uconnect replaced. I also bought a map update since the installed map is from 2016 and I had just bought an update last year. Sent scans of the replacement receipt and map update receipt. Waiting now for confirmation of their sending a check for my costs. The lady I've been dealing with has been very nice. She had also interfaced this issue with the local Dodge dealer.
My screen looked exactly like Ben911's. I mean exactly.
My main concern now, is what happens in 2026 when the exact same thing happens ? Since this is a design defect, not a parts failure, are they going to keep a stock of these things to keep replacing them ? I might have to sign up with one of those class action sites just to keep my toe in the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just started having the same issue in addition to the leather dash delaminating. 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland with just under 30k miles. Called Jeep Cares and was told I’m out of luck as it’s out of warranty. Definitely changes my opinion of this brand & will think twice before purchasing another in the future.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
2018 Durango, bought Nov 2017. Last summer delamination started, but I thought it was something melting at the top and coming down. Took a picture of it last November. No problems until it started ghost touching late August this year. After searching for a while found sites like this one. I finally contacted Uconnect through their contact page, left a description of the problem. About 3 weeks from first contact to getting the Uconnect replaced. I also bought a map update since the installed map is from 2016 and I had just bought an update last year. Sent scans of the replacement receipt and map update receipt. Waiting now for confirmation of their sending a check for my costs. The lady I've been dealing with has been very nice. She had also interfaced this issue with the local Dodge dealer.
My screen looked exactly like Ben911's. I mean exactly.
My main concern now, is what happens in 2026 when the exact same thing happens ? Since this is a design defect, not a parts failure, are they going to keep a stock of these things to keep replacing them ? I might have to sign up with one of those class action sites just to keep my toe in the water.
Just started having the same issue in addition to the leather dash delaminating. 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland with just under 30k miles. Called Jeep Cares and was told I’m out of luck as it’s out of warranty. Definitely changes my opinion of this brand & will think twice before purchasing another in the future.
Hi gwfrench and DaveMars,

I'm happy to take a look into your information from your discussions with our call center team if you'd like. Feel welcome to send your VIN or case number and we can review from there.

Steph
Jeep Cares

281 - 300 of 309 Posts