Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used one of those canned A/C recharge kits you can get at the auto parts store? I've heard mixed reviews, but I know recharges at the shop can cost an arm and a leg. My 07 doesn't blow cold like it should, cool but not ice cold. I'm moving to Alabama in a couple months...

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've always been of the opinion that they are a temporary fix.

The refrigerant system is completely closed and should last the life of the vehicle.

If you have lost refrigerant, there is a leak somewhere. No other explanation for it.

You can "recharge" the system, and it may work alright for a while, but it will not stop the problem.

Of course, you'll also want to make sure that the compressor is functioning properly as well, even if you do decide to go the recharge route.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The refrigerant system is completely closed and should last the life of the vehicle.

If you have lost refrigerant, there is a leak somewhere. No other explanation for it.
Oh, i didnt know that... then the title "A/C recharge" is misleading :rolleyes: I always thought the freon or whatever coolant they use now would go bad over time and would need to be refilled or replaced or something.... so you would suggest going to a mechanic or do you have a good resource that I could use to read-up and figure out what I'm doing?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Summit
995 Posts
My shop charged me 95 for a recharge Nd they checked all the ac stuff and found a small leak at the condenser that they fixed for 2 bucks with an o ring

·
Registered
989 Posts
There are DIY dye kits that you can buy to try and see where it is leaking from. I have used these in the past, and have had mixed success. Sometimes the leak is pretty obvious, other times even with the dye it can be hard to spot.

As noted above, you shouldn't be charged too much for an AC inspection where they can test the compressor, look for leaks, etc. All depends on how hands-on you want to be!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.