Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Best bet for wiring is techauthority. You can get a one day or three day pass and download anything you need, just check that they have what you need before signing up.

Did you test the lights on dark road? It's pretty sensitive to lights on the side of the road and road lights in general.
Thank you Roman I'll check that.... Yes, well tested no doubt doesn't work.

·
Registered
GC Limited
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thank you Roman I'll check that.... Yes, well tested no doubt doesn't work.
I'll spend a little bit more time going through your BCM config and see if I can find anything else. Good chance there are other settings that need to be set that weren't available on the earlier models.

The camera you have is the correct one according the part number and the related option codes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tech Authority seems to have a wiring diagram for a 2018 for $95. If it was a 2019 I may have pulled the trigger. I have to want it a little more to spend that on somthing that may not help me. That site seems to have a lot of good manuals thanks for directing me to it.

·
Registered
GC Limited
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Tech Authority seems to have a wiring diagram for a 2018 for $95. If it was a 2019 I may have pulled the trigger. I have to want it a little more to spend that on somthing that may not help me. That site seems to have a lot of good manuals thanks for directing me to it.
Tech authority is actually run by FCA and is the portal for shops, technicians, etc. They are generally very up to date though sometimes they don't have the newest models available right away.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll spend a little bit more time going through your BCM config and see if I can find anything else. Good chance there are other settings that need to be set that weren't available on the earlier models.

The camera you have is the correct one according the part number and the related option codes.

In the first post here https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/alfaobd-–-diagnostic-configurator-software.214063/ there is a config file of a 2018 that has it and I compared line for line and could find nothing. Hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tried connecting to the Automatic High Beam Module under the "XENON HEADLIGHTS" function instead of the "BODY COMPUTER" to try and calibrate but it wouldn't connect.

·
Registered
GC Limited
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Looking at the pin out for the 2014 vs the 2018, the connector shape changed but the overall connections are the same. Should be a total of 6 wires going to the mirror camera. Two sets of wires for CAN C, power, and ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
GC Limited
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Here’s the other side of the mirror harness that goes to the dash. There it joins the dash harness and the CAN wires should go to a STAR connector box.

Adjustments.JPG

·
Registered
GC Limited
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I will never know if all the connections are made unless I knew where those star connector boxes are. I dont feel like ripping stuff apart to look so If i was to assume all the connections are made then what else could it be? Programming? How would i know or prove that? Is this the point I ask the dealer?

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/pdf/2019_wk_exterior_halogen_lighting_diagram.pdf
I went through your config line by line and it looks like everything is set correctly. At this point, set the auto high beams to "on" in the UConnect menu and leave the stalk pushed forward. The Ram guys have had it take a few key cycles and a few attempts of just driving with the the stalk forward to for the auto high beams to start working. Some said after 20 minutes of driving at night the lights started working and have been working as expected since then.

The only thing that I can think of at this point is that the camera module isn't updating it's settings from the BCM. Maybe driving around at night with the UConnect menu set and the stalk pushed forward for a while will get it to update.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had the high beams on for a week now and nothing. I think I'm going to need some of that divine intervention :)

·
Registered
GC Limited
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I've had the high beams on for a week now and nothing. I think I'm going to need some of that divine intervention :)
Probably a setting we're missing or FCA stripped the auto high beam ability from your forward facing camera module. Could be that they loaded a different cal since your Jeep didn't have it from the factory though most of the modules seem to get all their settings from the BCM.

When I get back from vacation, I'll poke around my sister's Summit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went to the dealer to ask what I would need to add the option of automatic high beams and without even asking what type of GC I have the tech said I would need new headlights and a new wiring harness and it would be expensive. I asked if I could talk to someone else. The next tech said, again without asking what type of GC I have, that it would be expensive and I would need a photo eye behind the rear view. I started to say samething to the fact that I think it could use the forward facing camera but I stopped myself. I don't really know enough about it and I could just tell they didn't either so it wasn't really worth wasting our time...

·
Registered
GC Limited
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That's pretty frustrating especially since headlights have nothing to do with it. I have halogen lights in my Jeep and it's working just fine. Could be the camera module that needs a different cal or it's a slightly stripped down version that doesn't have the light sensor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah it was..I wont be letting that dealer work on my jeep. I agree it could definitely be something like that. If i didnt have all that tint or blackout stuff behind my rearview I would just try changing it with the one with the photo eye like you did to see if i could get that to work...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Every now and then I come back to this thread thinking about how I cannot have auto high beams because I don't fully understand what makes it work and it pisses me off. Even if i found out it needed a new camera I wouldn't be fully committed to want to change it or anything where i would have to get it re calibrated from anyone but the factory...I want it more because i dont have it then actually needing it. I'm ready to sell my Jeep. I have issues :)

·
Registered
GC Limited
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Every now and then I come back to this thread thinking about how I cannot have auto high beams because I don't fully understand what makes it work and it pisses me off. Even if i found out it needed a new camera I wouldn't be fully committed to want to change it or anything where i would have to get it re calibrated from anyone but the factory...I want it more because i dont have it then actually needing it. I'm ready to sell my Jeep. I have issues :)
Send an email to [email protected]lfaobd.com and let him know about the issues. He may have a way to update the parameters in the camera module.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude
3 Posts
Hey guys! Wondering if I'd be able to do this on my '17 Altitude...the catch being that I'm putting in OEM LED assemblies which require a wiring harness (mine comes with halogen assemblies from factory and I hate the look of them, hence the pricey swap out - worth it for me though). I guess my question is whether or not the installation of a wiring harness would have any effect on doing this upgrade. You could say I don't have a mind for all these technical bits and pieces so it's a huge possibility this is a dumb question!

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I hit all the necessary requirements as far as wiring in the mirror (auto-dimming with 911), so I would just have to purchase the factory mirror with the camera. I have the 8.4 UConnect for my radio (no nav or Apple CarPlay but I don't think that was a requirement). Thanks for any help in advance!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts