Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

DIY Install/Enable Automatic High Beams

38K views 92 replies 15 participants last post by  Dave the great 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a guide that was mostly inspired by users on a RAM forum that had luck doing this mod. Please use the information in the guide for reference. I do not take any responsibility for any damage that may occur and remember that this may not work for everyone based on various option packages. With that out of the way, on to the install guide.

This was installed on a 2014 Limited. I am not sure this work with Laredos without extra wiring as they never came with automatic headlights from the factory. On the Limited, the wiring is present.

Step 1: Order a new mirror. I used part number 68144050AD. I found mine on ebay for $51 dollars. There are plenty more around. Try to look up parts that are within your model year for this to work. A new lower mirror cover is needed, I will need to find the part number for it but it was $17.10 at the dealer.
EDIT: This might be it 1YW14DX9AC
EDIT 2: This is the one I got 68306588AA though the other part may work too.

Step 2: Remove the top cover. It is clipped into the lower cover. Spread the lower cover and it should come out with minimal resistance.

Step 3: Remove mirror and lower cover. In my case it was easier to remove the mirror and cover at the same time. Hold the mirror and cover and twist it in either direction to release. Remove the cover and cable after you remove the mirror.

Step 4: Install the new mirror. Connect the plug then place the mirror on the mount flat and turned roughly 45 degrees. Twist back into position. You can now put the new lower cover back on. The old top cover can be reused.

Step 5: Programming. I used AlfaOBD to make the changes. Connect to the BCM and make the following configuration changes:
Auto Highbeam
Select “yes”

Interior EC Mirror Present
Select“yes”

Smart Beam Present (AHBM)
Select “yes"

Auto High Beam Module Location
Select “ECC_AHBM"

Auto High Beam CSM
Select “yes”

Step 6: Reset the radio. This is not required but it will make the menu items appear immediately instead of waiting for multiple key cycles. No settings are erased in this. Be careful not to select the factory reset option.

Hold the temperature buttons for the driver side for about 10 seconds to get into the engineering menu.

Scroll until you find "Reset radio."

Select "Yes"

Step 7: Enable the Option by going to Controls > Settings > Lights. Check the "Auto Dim High Beams" option.

Step 8: All done. You will see the following in the EVIC when you flip on your high beams.

Overall a very simple install that involves replacing the rearview mirror. Make sure the area in front of the sensor is clean and clear. I had to move a car wash pass in my case as that was in the way of the sensor.

For AlfaOBD I am using the OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter with a Surface Pro 4. There is also an Android app available.

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Good stuff and thanks for the write up. I followed your post and added the new rearview mirror a few days ago and it seems to be working fine. Did this to MY15 limited. One thing to note was that I never found the smart beam option on my alpha odb app and also it took me a while to find each option to update. For those that are doing this, it's in the active diagnostics section under car configuration change. Then a bunch of these options come up that you have to scroll through to find.

Also I bought two mirrors before getting the one with the camera off of ebay. They didn't have great pictures of the mirror but a lot of the descriptions said they had the auto high beam feature (but they didn't). I finally ended up with the right one for about $70 but double-check it before buying. I was able to free return the ones that didn't have the camera.

Again thanks for the write up

#15 ·
Is your mirror auto dimming or does it have the 911 buttons on it? If it is, then it should be good to go. All the auto dimming requires are the two can bus wires and power/ground. So if the mirror has any electronic functionality at all, the wiring should all be in place for auto high beams to work.

#21 ·
In the controls section, is there a "Mirror" soft key? It looks like for the 18's the soft key has been moved is now a physical button on the mirror. If that is the case, you will need to find a mirror for an 18 or a 19.

The other point to note, starting with MY18, all FCA cars have security modules installed between the OBD port, stereo, and the rest of the CAN bus. for the MY18 folks, you will need to get a security bypass module or additional harness that adds another OBD port.

https://www.infotainment.com/products/fca-security-gateway-module-bypass
or
https://www.highhorseperformance.com/ZAutomotive_Double_Bypass_DOUBLEBYPASS_p/doublebypass.htm

Some homework would need to be done on the ZA double bypass to make sure it works on the GC.

#27 ·
well, i have everything installed. going through the directions, i can not find the following:

Smart Beam Present (AHBM)
Select “yes"

Where is this located?

I also can not for the life of me get my radio into engineering mode to reset the radio. I can not get the settings for auto high beams to show up under "Settings -> Lights" but when I am in Auto Lights and push the stalk forward, I do see the message Auto High Beams activated (yet the high beams are not on, however the car is just sitting in the garage).

Any help is appreciated....

#36 ·
If the Altitude is just an optioned Laredo then I wonder if this will work on an Upland as well since it is practically the same thing. Current mirror is auto-dim with a single button. I dont know if its a $150 question I want to mess with though.

OP, I see that Quality unlimited club sticker there!

#40 ·
What options does you car have? Do you have lane assist and forward collision warning?

If so, I think on cars equipped with forward collision, the same sensor is used for auto high beams. My sister's summit, which has forward collision and lane assist, does not have the camera looking sensor like I have in the first post. Also in the BCM settings, the following differences are present:

• Summit with Lane Assist: Smart Beam Present (ABHM): Not Set
  • Limited with Auto High Beams: Smart Beam Present (ABHM): Set
  • Summit with Lane Assist: Auto High Beam Module Location: HaLF
  • Limited with Auto High Beams: Auto High Beam Module Location: ECC_AHBM
I can collect the BCM settings related to auto high beams from the Summit, which should match your mirror sensor configuration if you would like to try it. If it doesn't work, you can always revert it back to factory.

#38 ·
At least in a 2015 the camera is directly behind the rear view mirror and that tint will not affect it's view. The 2015 rain sensor is different and bonded to the windshield but I suspect yous is the same, I suspect your other sensor is similar but wouldn't be able to confirm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.