Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed the other day that my passenger side headlight(low beam) was out. I waited a few days because I really don't drive at night. When I went to change the bulb it was dark out so I could see if it worked, It didn't, and then I noticed that my high beam wasn't working either. I popped the hood back open again and pulled the high beam wire out and it looks like it was all chewed up! Can I fix this myself by replacing the wire harness? or do I need professional help and how much would that cost?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Do you park your vehicle overnight outside or in a garage?

Yep you have a rodent problem probably mice, rats or squirrels in that order.
Depending on how the harness is configured it could be an easy replacement or a PITA.
I would trace the harness to see if it has connectors at each end or if its spliced into other harnesses.
If its a single harness with connectors at each end then it should be a straight forward replacement.

If this were my deal since i have soldering irons, inline connectors, shrink tubing, wire, electrician's tape and know how to use them i'd try to repair the damage 'if possible' but thats me.

One important thing to keep in mind is to eliminate the pest problem or i guarantee it'll happen again.

Reactions: Seakir

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
875 Posts
If the connector plugs are fine and only the wires have been chewed, then I'd get some of the same gauge wiring and insulating tape/crimp connections then try repairing it myself before looking at replacing the whole harness.
If you've ever had to do the door looms in a WJ (like most of us WJ owners have had to do) then you'll be familiar with that kind of repair.
The next problem is how to stop those pesky critters before they eat more of your jeep, and there's a few threads regarding that on the site been discussed.
Worst case scenario- get a bunch of cats to move into the area...

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the connector plugs are fine and only the wires have been chewed, then I'd get some of the same gauge wiring and insulating tape/crimp connections then try repairing it myself before looking at replacing the whole harness.
If you've ever had to do the door looms in a WJ (like most of us WJ owners have had to do) then you'll be familiar with that kind of repair.
The next problem is how to stop those pesky critters before they eat more of your jeep, and there's a few threads regarding that on the site been discussed.
Worst case scenario- get a bunch of cats to move into the area...
I have a 98 grand cherokee as well as a 2022.
Over the years I had issue with chewed wires, tried everything, human hair, underhood strobe light, coyote urine, etc.
Finally someone suggested FlexSeal the black spray on. So I tried a can, sprayed areas under the car that were close to wires, even sprayed around the fuel tank with the gas pump. Never had another issue, refresh areas once a year and the squirrels stay away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts