Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First go to www.justforjeeps.com or call them and order your choice of red or white led airbag and then order harness # 68357494AA

All can be bought at justforjeeps.com You'll need the airbag and steering wheel harness # 68357494AA Plug and play!

Thanks member Daniel454 for the heads up!

Reactions: McBeevee

·
Premium Member
SRT8/Trackhawk
66 Posts
Dont suppose you have a part number for the White version do you? Also is it stupid obvious where to plug the harness in LOL I haven't had the bag out of this thing ;)

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
BackLit WHITE SRT AirBag : 5RX161XRAD
BackLit RED SRT AirBag : 6ET061VXAA
Illumination Harness : 68357494AA

I apologize that I did not get pictures while doing the swap but I grabbed a few online that may help...

First, you can start by following the instructions originally provided by CWGrizzwold.

Thankfully though, I found that instead of having to hardwire it, you can replace the wiring harness to make it plug and play...

I will start with a copy & paste of his information, again, all credit here goes to CWGrizzwold.

CWGrizzwold said:
Instructions

As with any work on or near the airbag you need to make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable. Let the system discharge for at least two minutes prior to trying to remove the airbag. I don’t want to be held responsible for any accidental airbag discharge while performing this upgrade. Keep in mind that this upgrade will go nowhere near the wiring for the dual stage airbag but let’s be safe just in case. Likewise, the only way the new airbag will fail to deploy is if you forget to reconnect the two airbag connectors when it the upgrade is complete.

There is no risk of this airbag being“rejected” by your Jeep due to it being a different year model airbag.

Believe it or not, figuring out how to get the airbag off took the most time. I read the instructions for airbag removal in the trim removal instructions on wk2jeeps.com but there still seemed to be a disconnect between those instructions and my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The instructions state that there is a hole on either side of the steering wheel from which you will access the airbag retention clips. This is only partially true. The holes exist but aren’t trimmed out and it wasn’t until I started feeling around on the cover did I notice where they were. Once you feel where the hole is (or shine a bright light on the wheel and you will see it) just poke the phillips screwdriver through it carefully. The other hole is in the same spot on the other side of the wheel.
Quick Side note here, on the 2018 models, the holes ARE already trimmed out. Not sure what year they changed it though, our 2015 was as he said, the holes were not all the way through originally.

Helmet Vehicle

CWGrizzwold said:
Now that the holes have been located, inserting the screwdriver into the hole at the correct angle to disengage the spring clip is the tough part. Start by studying your new airbag. You will see the access holes in the sides that guide you to the small diameter wire that you need to press to disengage the airbag.

I found it beneficial to pull on the airbag cover in the direction away from the wheel while you are trying to disengage the retention spring. You will know when it disengages as that side will pop free. Repeat the process for the other side.

Tip: I actually took the silver bottom spoke trim covers off the wheel when I was looking around to find the access holes and found that this helps you guide the screwdriver towards the retention spring if you pry back on the non-metallic steering wheel cover. Be careful as the cover material tears easy!
Line Diagram Joint Design Parallel

CWGrizzwold said:
Once free, disconnect the horn switch connector and the airbag connectors.
To remove the airbag connectors, pry up on the orange retention plugs then remove the connectors.

To remove the horn switch connector, pry up gently as shown while pulling the connector out in the image at right below.
Headlamp Automotive lighting Gauge Auto part Fuel line

Here is where the instructions start to change a bit thanks to the new harness.

Now that the old Air Bag is out, time to remove the original harness...

Cut and remove the two green wire ties.

Diving equipment Auto part

Next, disconnect all the remaining connectors.

Diving equipment

That's it, the original harness should be free...

Now you will install the new one...

Wire Technology Electronics Electronic device Electrical wiring

All of the connectors should be the same, the only difference is the one going to the airbag itself.

Just re-install exactly as the old one came out, don't forget to replace the wire ties.

Once the harness is in, connect the new plug to the new airbag.

Click both airbag connectors back into place, matching the colors of the connectors to the proper plug. (Don't forget to push the retainer clip back down, it WILL give you an airbag error code if you miss clicking them fully back into place).

Automotive lighting Headlamp Auto part

Double check all connectors and ensure as you move the airbag back into place that none of the wires are in the way of the two clip or stand off areas...

Auto part Diving equipment

Line up the airbag and push from both sides (Left / Right) until you hear / feel both clips snap into place.

That's it, just re-connect the negative battery cable and enjoy.

Here is the Red one in my 2018 TrackHawk

And the white one in the wife's 2015 SRT (Installed almost 3 years ago now, still working just fine).

·
Premium Member
SRT8/Trackhawk
66 Posts
BackLit WHITE SRT AirBag : 5RX161XRAD
BackLit RED SRT AirBag : 6ET061VXAA
Illumination harness : 68357494AA

I apologize that I did not get pictures while doing the swap but I grabbed a few online that may help...

First, you can start by following the instructions originally provided by CWGrizzwold.

Thankfully though, I found that instead of having to hardwire it, you can replace the wiring harness to make it plug and play...

I will start with a copy & paste of his information, again, all credit here goes to CWGrizzwold.

Quick Side not here, on the 2018 models, the holes ARE already trimmed out. Not sure what year they changed it though, our 2015 was as he said, the holes were not all the way through originally.

View attachment 195853

View attachment 195855

View attachment 195857

Here is where the instructions start to change a bit thanks to the new harness.

Now that the old Air Bag is out, time to remove the original harness...

Again apologies for not taking a pic during my swap.

Next Step, Cut and remove the two green wire ties.

View attachment 195859

Next, disconnect all the remaining connectors.

View attachment 195863

That's it, the original harness should be free...

Now you will install the new one...

View attachment 195871

All of the connectors should be the same, the only difference is the one going to the airbag itself.

Just re-install exactly as the old one came out, don't forget to replace the wire ties.

Once the harness is in, connect the new plug to the new airbag.

Click both airbag connectors back into place (don't forget to push the retainer clip back down, it WILL give you an airbag error code if you miss clicking them fully back into place).

View attachment 195867

Double check all connectors and ensure as you move the airbag bag into place that none of the wires are in the way of the two clip or stand off areas...

View attachment 195869

Line up the airbag and push from both sides (Left / Right) until you hear / feel both clips snap into place.

That's it, just re-connect the negative battery cable and enjoy.

Here is the Red one in my 2018 TrackHawk

And the white one in the wife's 2015 SRT (Installed almost 3 years ago now, still working just fine).

Thank you this is awesome I put an RFQ out of the bag and harness hopefully get this rolling today; thanks for the great info my worry was I'd be replacing the whole harness going up to the clock spring not the easy part :)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Does this work on non SRT/Trackhawk models?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Does this work on non SRT/Trackhawk models?
Since the "Jeep" airbag I took out of the TrackHawk has the exact same part # as non SRT / TrackHawk models then yes it SHOULD but unfortunately no guarantee until someone tries it.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Real nice, but $700 ?

Cant the lighted part be done without replacing the pricey airbag?
Not likely.

The regular SRT bag isnt translucent around the logo edges so even if you did somehow get in there and add LEDs around it, they wont shine through.

The FRONT of the airbag isn't available by itself.

You might could pick up the white one (cheaper) and change out the LEDs to red but I would be afraid to add anything on the front that wasn't originally engineered there as I wouldn't want it to become a projectile should the airbag ever go off.

If you can get a local (to you) dealer to price match the online prices you might can save upwards of $100. It costs quite a bit to re-ship them due to HAZMAT rules.

Maybe cheaper from a junk yard if the car was totaled from a rear impact...

Cleveland Power and performance specializes in stripping Chrysler / Dodge vehicles so they might have one from time to time though I doubt they will sell them for much less.

https://www.clevelandpap.com

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible to test the LED that is supposed to illuminate? The white one in our 16 SRT (installed by previous owner) quit illuminating after we had it for quite some time. Now we have a Trackhawk and I purchased what was supposed to be a hellcat red illuminated one with the harness but it isn’t illuminating. That’s what I get for buying used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts