Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75th Anniversary
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a summit or overland is better put together than a regular limited? Less chance of interior rattles? Looking to trade up to a HA

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's funny I never had a rattle in any of my 4 GCs until I got my 2018 Trailhawk and then I realized the rattle was the passenger seatbelt. Once I locked it the rattle was gone.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
There does tend to be better sound-reduction in higher trim levels and that might be noticeable to you. But a rattle is generally caused by something being loose or misplaced and it can happen on any vehicle...in the case of JGC that would be anything from the most basic Laredo fleet vehicle to the most decked out TrackHawk. They all come down the same assembly line and are handled by the same robots and humans along their journey.

Reactions: peterchang

·
Registered
75th Anniversary
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright I'm gonna get it, been thinking about it for 2 weeks now

·
Registered
481 Posts
Like a summit or overland is better put together than a regular limited? Less chance of interior rattles? Looking to trade up to a HA
Not in the slightest. My aunt has a Limited. I've owned both an Overland and a Trailhawk. My neighbor next door has a new Summit. All of them have the same terrible alignment on exterior trim, the driver's door doesn't sit flush with the body on any of them, the tailpipes aren't even (although this tends to vary) and they are just generally not put together very well. Panel gaps are a joke, etc... But if you don't have high expectations, I think you'll be okay with what you get in a Jeep product.

·
Registered
JGC Overland 4X4
35 Posts
My 2011 Overland seems to be put together relatively well. Panel gaps are large by modern standards but are consistant. Doors and trim line up. Interior fit and finish seems good, nothing is obviously loose or poorly fitting. No rattles to speak of other than the flipper glass on the tailgate, which only recently started rattling since I've been using it more often.

I have noticed brand new Grand Cherokees on dealership lots that look like they are straight up warped with the way the panels fit. I wonder if it has anything to do with the dies at the stamping facility being worn due to the long model run of the WK2, or perhaps quality control standards and/or pride of craftsmanship have dropped off as this is now an aging model.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I haven't found a single thing wrong with my 2018 Limited, other than I think the driver's lumbar support is wrong and the around-town gas mileage sucks.

·
Registered
JGC Altittude
1,278 Posts
You would think they would. My previous 14 Overland Hemi had much more defects than my current 17 Altitude. Go figure... No issues with the 17 right now.

The grass isn't greener on the other side.

·
Registered
2018 GC Summit 4x4
1,555 Posts
I haven't found a single thing wrong with my 2018 Limited, other than I think the driver's lumbar support is wrong and the around-town gas mileage sucks.
My around town mileage is garbage too. Granted I have the V8 but it’s still atrocious. I can’t understand how Jeeps V6 or v8 gets such poor mileage when there are other similar engines that do far better

·
Registered
507 Posts
There is better leather and more sound insulation in the Summit. The Summit also has full laminated glass. From my extensive long road trips cruising 80mph+ for hours on end, I have no rattles or wind noise. Rattles are thing of the past from any recent GC I have owned or drove as a loaner.

This was quick snap shot after getting gas on i95. I had my cruise set at 84mph with regular passing up to 90mph. My average mpg would be higher had I just not stopped for gas.
The last tank of gas I averaged 23mpg with ADC locked in 80mph.

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,013 Posts
Had a 2011 Limited. The only rattle I had was the pano sunroof. After following the manufacturer glass pane alignment procedure, that vehicle was super quiet.

Traded it for a 2014 Overland. Every week, I'm finding and fixing a new rattle. It's constantly something with the door panels or headliner. The rear spoiler is the newest agrivation now that the weather has gotten warmer. It's contacting the rear glass and making a VERY annoying rattle anytime there is the slightest bit of body flex. Just can't seem to get a few days with the same temperature around here so I can troubleshot and repair it. Only happens between 65F-73~F.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My 2017 limited is solid as for rattles and such. I just don't like when you close the rear doors they don't feel or sound solid, kind of hollow tin feeling but they are straight and nothing on the Jeep is misaligned. The paint is good, no waves and the truck is super quiet. My brother has a 2017 trailhawk and the paint is real wavy but the rest is solid and straight. Jeep has come a long way but still not on par with some of the Japanese auto makers when it comes to fit and finish. The interiors are super nice but will they hold up in time?? We shall see.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 17 Limited has rattles from my sunroof panel, door panels, instrument cluster and dash. They come and go.

·
Registered
2019 WK2 High Altitude V6/HK Audio
54 Posts
My around town mileage is garbage too. Granted I have the V8 but it’s still atrocious. I can’t understand how Jeeps V6 or v8 gets such poor mileage when there are other similar engines that do far better
Because it’s heavy midsize SUV. Toyota 4Runner, v6 Highlander, Range Rover sport all have similar fuel economy.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,224 Posts
Because it’s heavy midsize SUV. Toyota 4Runner, v6 Highlander, Range Rover sport all have similar fuel economy.
If the V6 4Runner has similar mileage, that's an improvement on Toyota's part. My 95 4Runner got worse mileage than my 2004 Tahoe and was similar to my 1978 Bronco with the 352 V8, but without the power.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,548 Posts
I bought my 2014 with 39K on it. Prior owner said he'd had zero problems, just a couple recalls, one for the gear selector and something else. I've had it 8 months and put 15K on it and the only problem was a very slight vibration at idle which was fixed with new motor mounts under my maxcare warranty. All the panels fit perfectly, there are zero rattles, the paint is excellent. It has tons of power and while the gas mileage isn't great, it's actually better than the gutless V6 Explorer it replaced.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
688 Posts
You should definitely get the High Altitude, you will love it. I will say this though, my '18 HA is not as quiet, or seemingly as smooth riding as my dads '17 Summit. For all I know that could be in my head and was not noticeable enough to deter me from buying mine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts