Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have two large German Shepherds and need a way to get them up into the rear hatch area without breaking my back. Anyone have a recommendation for a good dog ramp?

Thanks in advance!
J

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
A motorcycle ramp should work. Or, unless they are old, teach them to jump. :)

---

·
Registered
274 Posts
We use the Solvit telescoping pet ramp to get our Golden Retriever up into the GC. It was bought at Pet Food Express, though I think it is also available at PETCO.

Very light weight. We store it in the back seat area when not in use. Just a note, get your dogs used to it before hand by having them walk on it. The first couple of times, you may have to lead your dogs up the ramp. Our Golden got used to it right away.
Pet Food Express: Solvit Delux Telescoping Pet Ramp

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 24060
We use the Solvit telescoping pet ramp to get our Golden Retriever up into the GC. It was bought at Pet Food Express, though I think it is also available at PETCO.

Very light weight. We store it in the back seat area when not in use. Just a note, get your dogs used to it before hand by having them walk on it. The first couple of times, you may have to lead your dogs up the ramp. Our Golden got used to it right away.
My Labrador did not like it at all so the ramp sitting in the garage. The angle is to steep.
Thank God she only 24 kilos and I m still fit to carry her.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most motorcycle ramps are slats with openings between. Discount Dog Ramps - $59.99 & Up
Good link, thanks!

View attachment 24060

My Labrador did not like it at all so the ramp sitting in the garage. The angle is to steep.
Thank God she only 24 kilos and I m still fit to carry her.
The Solvit looks pretty nice... maybe the XL version would work better though since it is longer than the Delux and would give less incline.

I built my own "Ottostep" out of wood.
My hitch is a Draw-Tite which is a little bit lower than factory. The step I built works great, it splits the distance in half for my dogs. They have no problem getting in and out.

Dog step - The travel-easy Otto Step prevents injury to your dog entering a van, truck, or SUV!
Very cool, I like the hitch receiver step idea but one of my dogs is 12 and has trouble with steps these days so that one is probably out as a option.

Thanks for the ideas and quick responses everyone, much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
I'm surprised! I can't stop my dog from jumping in, ramp or no ramp. Try throwing a chop in the back.

·
Registered
2014 Overland
30 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried any newer pet ramps since this post was created. My dog needs ACL surgery and I want to get a ramp for him while he recovers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
Sorry to hear about your dog. My lab still refuses to go to the boot with any sort of ramp. I bought one and i put it straight to the skip.
I think the best is if you know any joiner/carpenter to make one for you or to
have a dog ramp demonstration with your dog present.
Good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
My dog jumps in and out. However for the times that he's tired or jumping in is a bad idea, I just have him out his front paws up and then lift his butt up and he goes in. It's easier this way as then it feels like I'm only lifting maybe 30 lbs. He weighs 100.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Dog ramps? I recon if your dog can't jump into a car, it's time for the needle.:)

·
Premium Member
2013 Trailhawk
391 Posts
I guess if you or a loved one has bad joints or may need a cane or walker it's time for the needle too

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
A4 b6, wifey s40
218 Posts
I ought get one for my 10 yrs old pit bull/lab. She finally jumps in when she touches hitch... But i don't want see if she happens trip on the hitch and hurts herself. So, time for me to look some homemade solution.

It sure taking me bit hard to see her getting aged and used to be jumpy. Sucks but thats life.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried any newer pet ramps since this post was created. My dog needs ACL surgery and I want to get a ramp for him while he recovers
I had a lab whose ACL was replaced. After a few weeks he was good as new. If he didn't need the ramp before, the recovery time should be quick.
(I tore mine in 1988 and the recovery time was a year)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I ought get one for my 10 yrs old pit bull/lab. She finally jumps in when she touches hitch... But i don't want see if she happens trip on the hitch and hurts herself. So, time for me to look some homemade solution.

It sure taking me bit hard to see her getting aged and used to be jumpy. Sucks but thats life.
If she can jump a little, I made a hitch step with a hitch mount vise plate and a piece of 3/4" plywood.
Hitch Mount Vise Plate

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
I guess if you or a loved one has bad joints or may need a cane or walker it's time for the needle too

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Of course not! We are talking about dogs.

·
Registered
2012 GC 4x4
305 Posts
Dog ramps? I recon if your dog can't jump into a car, it's time for the needle.:)
I take it you didn't read the post of the person who "bumped" this thread, his dog is having acl surgery.

The the person who bumped this thread, sorry to hear about the surgery. Unfortunately for me, my dog has hated every ramp she has tried due to the steep angle, of which may be too steep for your dog now too. So I have resulted in lifting her 85lbs. Maybe see if, like a poster above me mentioned, you can find a craftsman on Craigslist to make one for you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.