Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve seen a couple posts about how bad the afe exhausts are but I ignored them and bought the afe exhaust anyways ..well after 9 months and 8k miles both mufflers have had the hangars break off and fiberglass is hanging out the muffler ..not to mention the excessive rust on the “stainless “ piping

You def get what you pay for

I’d say spend a little more and buy something better

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually bought the afe intake also and it’s decent

No regrets there

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m waiting for Chad at black ops to come out with his hew Srt exhaust

Still using the AFE for now ..aside from the crappy quality of the AFE it sounds great through

I actually love the way it sounds but I know it’ll be falling apart soon

·
Registered
39 Posts
They do make two different exhausts, I've got about 20,000kms on mine, no issues, I live in Canada, no rust, they make a 400 series and a 300 series stainless, you need to go with the higher quality or else yes, you will have rust.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is rusting but I just painted everything black
Aside from that my biggest complaint is that the mufflers cracked where the pipes go into the mufflers

I had to have both mufflers/pipes welded

The quality of the welds isn’t very good .but the sound of the exhaust is great

·
Registered
39 Posts
Damn, maybe you got a bit of a lemon, I've put 20k kms on mine and no issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was thinking about AFE but I'm glad I went with catback Magnaflow instead, Since I didn't hear negative things like that about.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They have two exhausts, their first version (least expensive) is made out of 409 stainless steel which rusts easily. 409 stainless steel is the same steel that car manufacturers use for their OEM exhausts. So yes it should last a long time, it just wont look pretty.

Their newer version (expensive option) is made out of 304 stainless steel which does not rust as easy and turns more of a golden color. However neither steel is rust proof which is why they paint the mufflers black on the more expensive one. Guess so people dont feel like they are getting ripped off and to differentiate it from cheaper one.

With that said I have the less expensive afe exhaust, 27,000 miles with it and still sounds amazing, just doesnt look pretty is all once you get underneath.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the 409ss exhaust. I am in NYC so I expect it to have surface rust. However, my first set rusted completely through the rear hangers. My second set, thanks to AFE customer service understanding the issue, started to do the same even with coating it with rustoleum paint. I get that 409ss will rust but it shouldn't rust so bad that it becomes an issue with breaking down the road with barely any miles on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts