Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not well versed on GC’s, but starting to look at them. Overland with 5.7 Hemi, Off Road Adventure package. Do those options get rid of the air suspension?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How bad/problematic is the air suspension? Should I avoid it?
The real issue with the air suspension is twofold. First if something goes wrong with it, it can be hard to diagnose and fix. Second, if you get in an accident or the system has to replaced for some reason, parts and labor are very expensive. And lastly, can leave you in a limp travel mode if an error comes up with the air suspension. So net net, when it is working it is very good, but if it goes bad it can be a major headache. That is why i passed on it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You would think if there was a major problem some of the issues would have been worked out by now. I don't know for sure if improvements have been made to the current system over the previous ones.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
A more complex system does come with increased risk and increased incidence of issues. But remember that it's normal to hear more negative online than positive because folks tend to post about problems more than they post about great experiences. That's unlikely to change because it's human nature. I don't know what the distribution of the approximately 800 JGCs that roll off the line every day is relative to vehicles with and without QL, but the "with" is a large percentage because it's standard in the higher trim levels and standard on any JGC that has ORA-II. That's a whole bunch of Grand Cherokees that have QL and you can be sure that even if there are more folks with problems on them than with regular springs, it's not a huge enough number to cause the manufacturer to rethink that system. The only changes to QL since MY11 have been minor things, AFAIK. It is what it is.

Reactions: AAAA

·
Registered
Jeep GC Overland
25 Posts
I have had 2 Jeeps with QL and i have not had a problem, as a matter of fact I love the system and use it a lot. I just got a Summit and i have programmed it to lower when I park the Jeep. I like this because it is easier to get out and into it. I believe that they have worked the bugs out of it. The Overland is a great ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A more complex system does come with increased risk and increased incidence of issues. But remember that it's normal to hear more negative online than positive because folks tend to post about problems more than they post about great experiences. That's unlikely to change because it's human nature. I don't know what the distribution of the approximately 800 JGCs that roll off the line every day is relative to vehicles with and without QL, but the "with" is a large percentage because it's standard in the higher trim levels and standard on any JGC that has ORA-II. That's a whole bunch of Grand Cherokees that have QL and you can be sure that even if there are more folks with problems on them than with regular springs, it's not a huge enough number to cause the manufacturer to rethink that system. The only changes to QL since MY11 have been minor things, AFAIK. It is what it is.
Thank you for your thoughtful post. You might have changed my mine. That, and the fact that the wifey really likes the Overland.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
147 Posts
Thank you for your thoughtful post. You might have changed my mine. That, and the fact that the wifey really likes the Overland.
I've got 4000 miles on my Trailhawk with QL. So far no issues.
The QL ride is very comfortable taking potholes and rough roads and smoothing them out and not being overly wallowy taking curves or weaving though traffic. It's no sports care but suprisingly agile. The park feature comes in handy for my 5'3 fiance' to get in and out. When you're at normal ride height the system will lower itself about 1/2" for better aerodynamics at around 50mph. All in all I'm enjoying the QL system, but having the MaxCare warranty gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The wife currently drives her JKUR on 37” mud tires or my 2500 Power Wagon. I’ll bet she will love the ride and comfort of any GC, lol. Nice looking Trailhawk. I want her to look at those as well.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
147 Posts
The wife currently drives her JKUR on 37” mud tires or my 2500 Power Wagon. I’ll bet she will love the ride and comfort of any GC, lol. Nice looking Trailhawk. I want her to look at those as well.
The Trailhawk with the 18's wheels. Lux, Tech and Safetly pkgs is by far the most luxurious vehicle I've owned. The ride sure as hell is better than the last Jeep I had on the trails on 31s then 33s

Attachments

Reactions: redneck ron

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
You certainly also have the option of purchasing the Mopar MaxCare Extended Service Contract (available discounted online ... see the many threads about it) to hedge against expensive repairs on tech if you plan on holding onto the vehicle for a long period of time. I never used to even consider such things, but these days, with all the "stuff" in vehicles, it's a worthy insurance policy to have over the long term. (this suggestion only applies to the Mopar plan...avoid third party stuff like the plague...)

Reactions: redneck ron

·
Registered
Unlimited Altitude
64 Posts
We’re on our fourth Grand Cherokee and our fifth is on its way:

2012 Overland Summit
2014 Overland
2014 Overland
2017 Summit
2018 High Altitude (in transit)

The Quadra-Lift system is super slick and we’ve never had an issue with it. In our ‘12 Summit, we had to push the button to lower it into park mode. With our ‘14s and newer, the system does the work for us. The only time we need to do anything manually is if we have something big to drive over or through (or to mess with friends to make them jump out while exiting ). We wouldn’t get one without Quadra-Lift.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really wonder how much the actual climate plays a role in the suspension problems. If you just do a quick google of the service immediately message, it appears that most of us that are having or have had issues are in cold-weather climates. Goes the same for those that have the system on their Ram pick-ups as well (assuming that its the same system).

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I live in the snow belt on the south shore of Lake Erie. Just finishing my fifth winter with QL in my Overland, and haven't had a single issue with it. I'd get it again with no qualms. SilverBillet, I'd be interested in a link to those failure statistics.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I live in the snow belt on the south shore of Lake Erie. Just finishing my fifth winter with QL in my Overland, and haven't had a single issue with it. I'd get it again with no qualms. SilverBillet, I'd be interested in a link to those failure statistics.

Sure ...just search for service reports on any car made ever with static suspension and optional air suspension. Anyone that doesn't know that you have better odds with a static suspension just isn't knowledgeable enough on the mechanics. Those that say that's what a warranty is for must not mind a suspension failure in a less than favorable time. Family vacation? Below Zero temps? Rush hour traffic? No worries...just call a tow truck and send it in for warranty work while you drive some POS rental. That's a pass for me.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You would still need valid statistics to see if it's "really" something to worry about. If for example a static suspension has issues in 1 out 500 and air suspension is 1 out of 400 then it's not something that should prevent one from purchasing it.

Again, I can't help but feel if the numbers were that significant the problem wouldn't have been addressed by now.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
" Anyone that doesn't know that you have better odds...." just doesn't cut it as valid data to me. You got anything more empirical? I've never had a QL failure, but I've blown shocks, struts, and springs. That still doesn't prove the converse.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I too was concerned about QL coming from a Limitted without it. 50,000 miles from -15F to +100F and no issues to date with constant use. There are people on this forum with 100,000+ of trouble free QL. While I realize that this is a closed system, air shocks have been in use for over 100 years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.