Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same boat here. 2014 Overland and getting the popping when opening the driver's door. I am fine with just replacing the lower hinge, I just wanted to see if anyone here has done it and how difficult was it? Can the hinge be removed with the door in the open position and just replaced with the new hinge in the open position? I'm sure it's not that simple, but here's to hoping!

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
75 Posts
I am in the same boat here. 2014 Overland and getting the popping when opening the driver's door. I am fine with just replacing the lower hinge, I just wanted to see if anyone here has done it and how difficult was it? Can the hinge be removed with the door in the open position and just replaced with the new hinge in the open position? I'm sure it's not that simple, but here's to hoping!
Unfortunately you cannot replace the lower hinge of the driver door when it is open since there is not enough space to do so. The door side has protruding pins where the bolts go and they are in your way when you want to remove the hinge.
The only option is to disconnect the door from both top and bottom hinge and move it just one inch away in order to have the space to remove the lower hinge.
I think i should be able to complete this job by placing some sort of support under the opened front door and the help of a buddy to keep the door upright while it is disconnected and pulled that inch away from the car body.
Of course by doing that i could find myself in the dreaded situation of having to realign the door which could be a pain!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts