Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys beware! Very windy yesterday, told my niece wait for me to help her with the door. While by the time word "door" came out of my mouth it was too late. Wind caught it and it slammed open. Needles to say it kinked from compressing the skin from the front door. Stretched the hinged and needs major repairs. Not one scratch on my summit to date just 1 week from its 2 yr birthday!
2000 dollars plus parts! lucky my friend owns a great autobody shop so I know its in good hands.
For the reson writing this post. Take notice and care, we noticed the front doors have door stops to help prevent this somewhat. There are NO stops of the rear doors!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've heard stories about this...never happened to me though. Windy = Hold on tight!

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
689 Posts
Isn't this a design flaw? I don't think I have ever seen a vehicle do this. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a design flaw at all. It will happen on any car. If the wind is strong enough and catches that door, it will sprang open. I have seen it happen to many vehicles including trucks

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Not a design flaw at all. It will happen on any car. If the wind is strong enough and catches that door, it will sprang open. I have seen it happen to many vehicles including trucks
True. Many years ago I had the same thing happen on a new 1978 Kenworth Class 8 tractor. Luckily, the dealer replaced the entire hinge assembly which on those things is like a long piano hinge.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
It's amazing what wind can do!!

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 wht/blu Overland
210 Posts
Cow! 'Nother cow!

Twister. Good movie. ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts