Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I had a 2014 WK2 with the EcoDiesel and loved it! I sold it in 2017 with 60k on it when my commute changed and I suddenly had three episodes of clogged particulate filters with tows to the dealer for forced regen. I quickly realized that my favorite car was no longer well-suited to my new driving style, got frustrated, and decided to move on.

I tow a trailer occasionally and really miss the torque of the diesel. I'm looking again at 2018s and my question is: does anyone definitively know whether there have been any changes to the DPF system/programming since 2014? Is the clogged DPF still a major problem for stop-and-go commuting? I appreciate any insight!

·
Registered
GC Limited
337 Posts
From what I have read here, there was an issue with the '14 DPF. Several people had them replaced under warranty. I have not seen any reports here for DPF issues on '15+ years.

Someone correct me if I did not have enough coffee this AM to make my mind work.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had mine replaced at 70K as it was plugged and could no longer regenerate itself.. It was under warranty and I have no idea if it is any better than the one they took off. I believe the DPF has a lifespan. It could be 50K and it could be 150K. But I do a decent mix of highway and city and I've never had a plugged DPF. Just CEL's that wouldn't go away. Luckily I was under warranty but this is a 2500-3K fix if you are out of warranty easily. Later models than 14's just may have not hit that wall yet. I also have had ECM updates and etc that may have changed the dosing or whatever, But I believe it just lost its ability to regenerate and clean itself….

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
78,000 miles no issues with DEF or DPF. However I seldom do city only driving. I have noticed my DEF amounts have increased since my GDE tune but so has mpg and power.
I have had issues with the DPF sensor and it was replaced and the EGR cooler and valve. Without the Maxcare Service contract I would be 3500 bucks in the hole.
All the issues I have seen with our rides seem to point to the poor implementation of the EGR, DEF, and DPF. Over the road trucks all have these systems and from my reading the DPF in over the road trucks are removed and cleaned every 100,000 to 150, 000 miles.
I know of no changes in any of these systems outside of the larger SCR done in 15 to 14 models. Only software changes from what I have seen...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The '14 recall was for the SCR, not the DPF. Although they're replaced as a unit.

I doubt the DPF has changed over the years, only the programming has changed.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,301 Posts
Like fun2drive, we've had our SCR and EGR cooler unit replaced both under warranty.
We have over 52k miles on ours with about 70 percent highway miles and about 60 percent of those towing a travel trailer. All ECM updates done.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
We have a 2015 and average about 8k miles per year of primarily city driving. We get out on the highway only about 8 times per year for a 60 mile trip to visit family. We’ve had zero trouble… no DEF warnings or messages, no DPF warnings or messages. No trouble at all in fact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I traveled to Portland to pick up a used '14 over the weekend, got 40 miles before a DEF error popped up. It's back at the dealer for repair (fortunately on their dime) and I'm home via a rental car. Anyone know if DEF systems currently being used as replacements IN '14s are updated with the problems corrected? Also, I've read about the SCR replacement recall-did this apply to all '14s or was it only replaced on those where it caused a problem.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Here in Australia with MY17 the DEF system has been removed so no issues. There were many issues in 2014 here with diesels. Don’t know what has happened in US models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 Diesel Overland with 73,000 miles , mostly highway driving from the city to our mountain cabin. I've been stuck doing local trips because of the recent Corona19 outbreak in NYC. I was unable to get out on the highway when the "keep driving" warning came up, so after ignoring that warning 2X figuring it would clear on the next highway trip, the dreaded "DPF 100% Full" warning appeared and she went into limp home mode. Just when we needed to GET OUTA TOWN! I have to give a shout out to Security Jeep in Amityville, NY and their knowledgeable service manager Diana Oneil for quickly handling the problem. They did a manual re-gen and changed the oil and we were on our way in 3 hours. I took the Diesel settlement and have another 60,000 MI on the warranty, so for now I'll pay more attention to the regen warnings and hope for the best.

·
Registered
184 Posts
First bad DPF in mine came at 45k miles in 2015, had an RRT to replace the DPF. Then after the V08 at 114k it almost immediately went to 100%, They last 60k miles it seems, Hot Shot Diesel Extreme additive seems to give the DPF a last breath and last few thousand extra miles.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
266 Posts
I have 195K on my '14 EcoD...no DPF issues ever. I drive mostly highway. I think the people that run a lot of short commutes have the most issue.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have 195K on my '14 EcoD...no DPF issues ever. I drive mostly highway. I think the people that run a lot of short commutes have the most issue.
That's a good number of miles !
What other if any overall drive train/Engine/Emissions issues have you had in those miles, and do you have GDE or the AEM?

·
Registered
JGC Overland
266 Posts
That's a good number of miles !
What other if any overall drive train/Engine/Emissions issues have you had in those miles, and do you have GDE or the AEM?
Worst thing was I had an HPFP failure at 172K. I had to replace the entire fuel system...did the work myself, ended up costing about $4500. I'm not sure of the cause of the failure. Otherwise, the only issue I had was a leaking radiator which was replaced under warranty at 96K. No other powertrain or emissions related issues. Tuned at 44K. AEM done just after fuel system was replaced.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
So would you say that GDE was instrumental in the lifespan of 44-172k?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts