Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened to me this week. DPF 100% Full and limp mode activated, 2015 Ecodiesel with 15k on clock 28 months old.
Background, check engine light came on 10 days ago, took to dealer to diagnose. Code P0428-00 came up, catalyst temp sensor circuit high bank 1 sensor 1, need to replace, they ordered part.
Dealer says OK to drive, so go home 45miles, a few days later I go to pick up mail, 4 Miles down the road Exhaust Filter 100% full comes up together with service ETC and I am in limp mode. No previous warnings that a regen is required or that the DPF is nearly full or any message of any kind forewarned of situation Dealer says sensor is under warranty but DPF is a maintenance item and not covered which after researching posts on this forum I am pretty sure is BS. Anyway going back to dealer on Monday hopefully to get it fixed. I am thinking that the EGT Sensor fault was preventing regens from taking place and caused the DPF to Clog, and am hoping replacing the sensor and forcing a regen might clear the issue. Any thoughts.
incedently I did an oil change about 375miles ago, topped off the DEF fluid and reset the oil service indicator, used revised spec Rotella 5/W40 oil not sure if that is connected to issue in any way just seems to much of a coincidence that all this should happen so soon after.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
David b

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well it finally happened to me this week. DPF 100% Full and limp mode activated, 2015 Ecodiesel with 15k on clock 28 months old.
Background, check engine light came on 10 days ago, took to dealer to diagnose. Code P0428-00 came up, catalyst temp sensor circuit high bank 1 sensor 1, need to replace, they ordered part.
Dealer says OK to drive, so go home 45miles, a few days later I go to pick up mail, 4 Miles down the road Exhaust Filter 100% full comes up together with service ETC and I am in limp mode. No previous warnings that a regen is required or that the DPF is nearly full or any message of any kind forewarned of situation Dealer says sensor is under warranty but DPF is a maintenance item and not covered which after researching posts on this forum I am pretty sure is BS. Anyway going back to dealer on Monday hopefully to get it fixed. I am thinking that the EGT Sensor fault was preventing regens from taking place and caused the DPF to Clog, and am hoping replacing the sensor and forcing a regen might clear the issue. Any thoughts.
incedently I did an oil change about 375miles ago, topped off the DEF fluid and reset the oil service indicator, used revised spec Rotella 5/W40 oil not sure if that is connected to issue in any way just seems to much of a coincidence that all this should happen so soon after.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
David b

I’m not certain whether or not using the wrong oil can lead to your DPF problem, but I agree it is quite coincidental. Can you really trust they used the proper oil? Or did you do the oil change yourself?

Our dealership reorganized a few years ago and moved all oil changes to their “quicky lube” type service center in a separate building. I never use this option and request our senior technician even for “simple” oil changes in the main trauma center, I mean main service center.

We have a 2008 CRD Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2015 EcoDiesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ten years ago when we purchased the CRD diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee I sat down with the service manager and our technician to discuss some of the special requirements of the CRD and why I would insist on a senior technician to do even a simple oil change. It was a great conversation and they understood my paranoia because there are relatively few technicians that have even seen the EcoDiesel’s, let alone a CRD’s. Special care has to be taken in certain areas. We tip our service technician for the great care.

Keep us informed as to how it pans out.

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Did the oil change myself, using the now recommended Shell Rotella T6 5w40 oil per the 2015 Diesel Supplement 7th edition.
David b

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Oil has nothing to do with it... many of us have used 5-40 for years now. I have 3 changes on it under my belt already.. no ill effects. If your DPF has NEVER been replaced, then it should be covered on a previous TSB that mostly replaced them all under warranty.. yours should be no different. Once you get this fixed, you are good to go.

My dealership has a quick lube lane too, but all diesels go to their diesel tech for any sevice work ,including oil changes. Much less chance of mistakes that way...

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
If your DPF has NEVER been replaced, then it should be covered on a previous TSB that mostly replaced them all under warranty.. yours should be no different. Once you get this fixed, you are good to go.
You're confusing DPF and SCR. The OP has a DPF issue. There's no TSB for replacing the DPF. The DPF should last for about 120k with normal use and then needs to be either replaced or cleaned.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My mistake… I would think either way though it would be covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty.... No?

·
Registered
3 Posts
same happened to me, only at 52000 miles. Dealer replaced, not cleaned, all under emissions warranty at no cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
New Jeep GC owner here. I have just had the exact same sequence of problems lsited by you Tobyjug. What was the end answer for you?
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just wanted to throw this out there regarding full DEF, see dealer for service, etc.

I had this message pop up a couple days before the FCA recall notice came out, then got a text from dealership regarding same. Dropped it off for a couple days. Recall updates appear to have fixed all. Driven over 2k since with no issues.

KG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my 2015 JGC back from manual regen. Everything looks okay, but they had to replace the fuel filter first before the regen. Said the fuel flow is higher during the regen and if not enough fuel is flowing the regen will not start, thus that is how I got the 100% full message. Not sure if this is true or not, but will be changing fuel filter now every 15k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my 2015 JGC back from manual regen. Everything looks okay, but they had to replace the fuel filter first before the regen. Said the fuel flow is higher during the regen and if not enough fuel is flowing the regen will not start, thus that is how I got the 100% full message. Not sure if this is true or not, but will be changing fuel filter now every 15k.
BTW: Fuel filter is $40 (Mopar) and the labor was $80.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Where are you getting your Diesel Fuel. I change my fuel filters once a year (regardless of miles) and they have always looked pretty good yet. I only buy diesel where they move large volumes of fuel(aka truck stops) and so far, so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought it used last fall 1ith 17k miles on it. Might not have been changed since new at 32k miles. I will be changing it yearly now. Our local gas station runs through diesel regularly. Lots of trucks on my area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2018nJGC diesel.
Oil changes every 8k miles. Fuel filter at 22k and just got the 100% full particulate filter message and limp mode. Currently at 26k miles. Will do the negative battery cable disconnect tomorrow and see what happens. If no change..

Off to the dealer tomorrow...stay tuned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2018 JGC diesel.
Oil changes every 8k miles. Fuel filter at 22k and just got the 100% full particulate filter message and limp mode. Currently at 26k miles. Will do the negative battery cable disconnect tomorrow and see what happens. If no change..

Off to the dealer tomorrow...stay tuned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update..Google ate my last email..had to make a new one. Decided not to do anything and take the JGCD to the dearler. Got the

"we have to look at it and let you know what we find. If it a warrantied issue, we will authorize a loaner, this might take a few days...."

What do folks with 1 car do? just suffer because FCA made a bad design?

stay tuned for updates.....

·
Registered
838 Posts
Update..Google ate my last email..had to make a new one. Decided not to do anything and take the JGCD to the dearler. Got the

"we have to look at it and let you know what we find. If it a warrantied issue, we will authorize a loaner, this might take a few days...."

What do folks with 1 car do? just suffer because FCA made a bad design?

stay tuned for updates.....
Once you get the AEM update you need to purchase another car to drive while your Jeep is forever in shop getting repairs. FCA gives you $3,000 for a down payment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts