Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Overland.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2 me 19-
Put new blades on, driver side leaves streaks in my line of sight. Cleaned window with glass cleaner, degreaser… still does it.
returned blades, thought they may be defective.
tried another brand, same issue.
it looks like the blade needs more pressure on the window, can tension be adjusted or can i bend the arm a bit?
thoughts?

·
Registered
2014 Limited, 3.6L
58 Posts
Thanks for asking this question, because I've noted that on my '14, the blades begin to streak not too long after being replaced. At first I too blamed the blade itself, tried another (more expensive) model, and it too in relatively short order began to streak -- much faster than other vehicles I own now and have in the past.

I suspected then it had something to do with the arm assembly itself, lack of pressure as you've noted, etc., but never really looked into it further. Would be could to see if anyone has any ideas.

·
Registered
2019 Overland.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, my 14 had similar issues now that I recall. Tried various blades, lived with it.

In general both sides are a bit light on pressure,
the drivers side def misses a swath in the site line on my 19.
Ive been searching the threads. There’s a few out there, mostly older. I’ll keep reading and see if there’s a solve.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've done this on my cars, not on a Jeep product, but I would think the process is pretty universal. You can adjust the wiper arm (also make sure the nut is tight) to apply a little more even pressure across the glass. I've tried both the "drop" method where you put the wipers in the park position, pull up, and let it drop back down to the glass as well as the bend approach where to bend lightly at the spot just after the thicker base of the arm.

·
Registered
2019 Overland.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does the”drop” do? Ive tried that, nothing.
I see others have used steel wool on the windshield!! What does that do?
Others have replaced the arm, bent the arm or adjusted the spring.
Some brands of blades work for some and not others.
I guess trial and error.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The drop in some models helps align the blade arm to provide even pressure. Bending at the main point just forces a bit more pressure that way. I may however be wrong and it might not be so universal. I've used it on at least 3 vehicles in the past with some success (a Hyundai and two Oldsmobiles).

I'd start by checking the profile as the blade moves back and forth to see if it gap corresponds to a visible bend in the wiper. That might at least give you an idea if it can be bent into shape a bit or if it looks more like a new wiper arm is needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts