Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am posting this to share my experience with Goodyear Duratracs, stock size 265/60/18, in hopes this might be helpful to others.

I installed these tires at 29K miles and at about 65k, road noise started to get louder which I dismissed as part of the aging process of the tires.
At 69K miles, I started to see more prominent cupping on the inside edge of the front tires.
I have run the tires between 33 and 36 psi for most of the time since new. The Duratracs are rated as a 50K tire and was concerned about premature wear. All my research pointed to failing shocks.

I had the alignment done twice with Firestones lifetime alignment warranty with the hopes of a quick fix, but the cupping, noise, and abysmal mpg were still present.
Firestone reported that because of the aggressive nature of the tires, the oem shocks were not able to suitable for it.

I even took it to the dealer and invoked the Maxcare warranty and they reported that that the non-oem tire and the Duratracs were the cause of weird noises that I reported. Jeep dealer said they replaced my custom wheels and duratracs with oem set and tires and reported noises went away in this diagnosis process. Skeptical, I replaced and verified with my own set of oems and touring tires (which are very low in tread and smooth) and also confirmed Jeep's conclusion.

This process led me to think about increasing my Duratrac pressures up to allow the tire to ride the middle tread more and lessen the shoulder of the tread where cupping was occurring.
The Duratracs have a maximum cold pressure rating of 51 psi, so I increased my cold pressures to 46 psi (90% of max).
Since doing this, I have found my mpg's have increased to where I expected them to be, my tire noise is diminished, cupping appears to have also diminished!
I am happy about having discovered this adjustment because now I am fairly confident I will be able to get the last 10K miles remaining on the 50K mile rated tires, and I no longer feel pressured to upgrade the shocks (although, I was looking forward getting a lift-and-level).
This is not perfect I know, more center-tread emphasis, road imperfections are transmitted more, possible lessened handling characteristic, and steering feels lighter (like the oem set), but I get full use of the tires and despite the mentioned cons, I do not get the feeling of any real safety compromise. So, for now it is all good!
Hi
Lots of detailed replies here. The bit I would add is to be wary of loss of grip in the wet at 46 psi. All of the other comments concur with.my experience.
I'm running GY Wranglers in the same size on my diesel MY18 Trailhawk.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Hi Guys -

Happy to report that I made it to 81,000 with a good amount of tread left. The cupping and noise are still present, but at the current wear rate, I think I can get 60K miles out of these 50K mile rated tires. Im running pressures around 46-48 psi, still feels stiff and not plush, and never really feels squirly despite the higher pressures. I dont drive like a teenager anymore and I drive in sunny CA so this helps.

I would consider buying Duratrac again. Higher pressures helped avert an early demise from cupping. I am planning to change out my springs/shocks in the near future before a new set of tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will say that from my experience with Duratracs (I had three different sets on my Xterra) they are very sensitive to tire rotation and tire pressure. I ran them at 40PSI and got an average of about 70K miles out of each set (my Xterra had 240K miles on it when I sold it and they were used for commuting, mostly light wheeling, and a good bit of beach time). I found them to be great tires, and I will be purchasing a set for my JGC as soon as I get my Old man Emu suspension installed. The only real complaint I have about them is the noise, they get quite loud after about 40K miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Same here: 40K is exactly when the noise started to be noticable.
I changed the Duratracs out at around 55K if i remember correctly, and I had 3-4mm tread left.
Happy over all, I am sure I could have gotten 60K out of them but the noise was annoying.
I am trying out the Falken AT3W now and will decide after this set which one I prefer overall.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts