Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on five years of service with the original battery. No issues to date. Anyone noticing any issues or replacement intervals. Just thinking about another upcoming winter. If you have replaced what brand AGM did you go with?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I had mine replaced at Sams club with a new AGM from there about 6 months ago. Easy Peasy. They do all the work and you are out the door in 30-45 min. They asked why I was replacing it as my old one checked just fine. I couldn't give them a good answer, but did it anyways. AGM's are notorious for just "Failing" with no warning, and low voltage (Weaker battery...) can wreak havoc on your electronics. We travel a lot and this was just one less thing to worry about when miles and miles from home or help.... I'm a pre-emptive kind of guy, I replace things nearing their end on my schedule. I hate surprises and emergency problems....

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,269 Posts
I carry a NOCO GB40 Booster in mine👍

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,269 Posts
All our vehicles are kept on a BT whenever they are in the garage. After a drive, we pop the hood open, leave it open and connect the BT to an SAE pigtail. This removes the heat from under the hood. And on my bike, I have an external SAE connector to the battery, ziptied to the frame and keep it plugged in.

The battery on our Kia (daily driver) lasted 7 years and the battery on my departed BMW RT lasted 8 years!

Yeah! I'm kinda anal ;)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Certainly to each his own..but I've never tendered a vehicle in my life, and I leave them dormant 4-5 months every year as we traverse from Midwest winters to FL for the winter months. With good AGM's they start right up. Got 9 years from two Platinum DieHards in my Cummins and it sits 90% of the time till I have a real truck job to do....

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,269 Posts
Well,
Not each to his own mate;)

Hot Texas summers and daily short drives are the death of a battery :(. The Kia mainly does short 2 mile or less trips and the JGC sits idle 5 days a week, that is unless we are towing our TT anywhere!

The bike gets ridden maybe 2 days a week.......

Hence the need for BT's(y)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've never had a vehicle on a battery tender even in the cold North Dakota winters. I can only remember having to change a battery once since we started buying new vehicles in 1998 and that was when we lived in Oregon where it doesn't get cold and rarely gets hot.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Using battery load tester, to check battery health of my batteries.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently replaced my OEM battery with an Odyssey Battery 49-950. Odyssey batteries are made with 99% virgin lead (versus lead alloy, like many conventional batteries) and work great for both starting and reserve applications. I've used Odyssey batteries for years in marine applications where the reliability and longevity is second to none. They are a bit on the pricy side but you get what you pay for. https://www.odysseybattery.com/Batteries/Model_49950

·
Registered
Overland ATG ORAII
1,269 Posts
Grady2014,
How was the fit in the JGC underfloor compartment?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Grady2014,
How was the fit in the JGC underfloor compartment?
Same physical size as the OEM. It's not the easiest battery to replace since it weighs >60lbs. Sliding it into the under seat compartment can be a little tricky. It cost me a nice piece of skin from the back of my hand. A total case of craniumrectumitus on my part. I should have been a little more careful sliding it in. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I recently replaced my OEM battery with an Odyssey Battery 49-950. Odyssey batteries are made with 99% virgin lead (versus lead alloy, like many conventional batteries) and work great for both starting and reserve applications. I've used Odyssey batteries for years in marine applications where the reliability and longevity is second to none. They are a bit on the pricy side but you get what you pay for. https://www.odysseybattery.com/Batteries/Model_49950
while I agree that Odyssey's are definitely the best, after getting 6 yrs out of the OEM battery, I don't plan on having it another 6 yrs so I didn't think it was worth the work or the investment that someone else would get the good out of.. Plus free installation on this vehicle means some thing here....

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
78 Posts
$267 for a battery :cry:
I miss the days I could buy a $35 interstate and drop it in my 76 Chevy truck engine bay. Or sit inside the bay and replace all 8 spark plugs:p
Thanks for the info. I'm going on 5 1/2 years and better think about replacing at some point

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
Mine is 6 years in 2 weeks, That is pretty good battery life. I will most likely not get crazy with a battery replacement and use one of the parts stores or go to Sam's for an AGM if they have it in stock. I doubt that I will keep the JGC more than another 3 years...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fully understand your decision and would prob have done the same thing if I wasn't planning on keeping it. I'm running a serious electrical load on mine (2,300 watts of custom audio) and need the extra capacity and piece of mind. So to each their own, as they say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
$267 for a battery :cry:
I miss the days I could buy a $35 interstate and drop it in my 76 Chevy truck engine bay. Or sit inside the bay and replace all 8 spark plugs:p
Thanks for the info. I'm going on 5 1/2 years and better think about replacing at some point
Spark plugs?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My MY 14 ECO diesel is just over 6 years old and it has been very reliable mechanically. As the original battery is over 6 years old I decided to look into changing it for a new one. I recently brought one of those generic EIS based battery tester and it said the CCA had dropped to under 30% of the original (800CCA). I also tested the minimum battery voltage when the starter is cranking and it was something like 8.5v at the jump start posts in the engine bay. Based on those numbers I ordered a Varta AGM battery to replace the one in the car.

First thing I have noticed when I pulled the battery out is that with the EIS tester properly connected to the original battery, the original battery actually still had more CCA than the rated number. I think it is caused by the fact that I was only able to connect the tester on the bolt used to fasten the battery clamp on the positive post while the battery is in the car. With the new battery, the cranking voltage at the posts at the engine bay is still only reading 8.7V. I suspect during the cranking there is just a significant voltage drop at the post.

The fact is that I had never drained the battery to an excessively low level and since the battery is under the car it never got exposed to extreme temp. I connect a Ctek charger to the battery maybe once a year and the battery is still good as new!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts