Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
Thanks and I clicked on MT and was sent to HD so something is up with that. I will try again and see if there is something funny with the link I was provided.
I prefer to have the hand held tuner since it does more than upload and download the ECU program.
Thanks for the steer I had thought this was totally different (and it was) them the Youtube vid I watched.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No problem, the link to the tune In the video is in the original post. Chris at ecodisel owners Canada is the point of contact and I believe I linked his email on that post as well, if not you can find it in their website

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
Emailed them tonight. As soon as I understand the process I am going to get the tune and get my ride back to what it was which was really what I wanted. Read B's write up which helps. Seems like a simple and straight forward process at least I hope so.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would really like to get my engine (turbo) brake back...
The MR tune includes it, but they state shipping to Canada only.
The HD tune doesn't mention an engine brake, but it plays with the fan controller - maybe this thing won't overheat as much while towing with this tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I would really like to get my engine (turbo) brake back...
The MR tune includes it, but they state shipping to Canada only.
The HD tune doesn't mention an engine brake, but it plays with the fan controller - maybe this thing won't overheat as much while towing with this tune.
Disregard that in the website, I live in Alabama. Had it in about 3 days and shipping was only 40 bucks

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
Discussed the purchase of the hand held and program with Chis Munro at MRTuning. Not sure how quickly the unit will arrive but will do my best to update and if possible take video for documenting the process but guessing should be similar to the Ram 1500 version that was above. I am going with the Stage 1 tune which should mimic what I had with GDE except I can restore this tune should FCA overwrite the program on the ECU...

·
Premium Member
2018 JGC Trailhawk
57 Posts
Discussed the purchase of the hand held and program with Chis Munro at MRTuning. Not sure how quickly the unit will arrive but will do my best to update and if possible take video for documenting the process but guessing should be similar to the Ram 1500 version that was above. I am going with the Stage 1 tune which should mimic what I had with GDE except I can restore this tune should FCA overwrite the program on the ECU...
Can you post the email or phone to contact Chris at? I emailed 4 days ago and still don't have a response. I need to confirm if I need additional security bypass for a 2018. I'm ready to pull the trigger if I can confirm installation.... I also only have a mac so I assume I need to buy a PC?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Can you post the email or phone to contact Chris at? I emailed 4 days ago and still don't have a response. I need to confirm if I need additional security bypass for a 2018. I'm ready to pull the trigger if I can confirm installation.... I also only have a mac so I assume I need to buy a PC?
It’s linked in one of my posts but probably got buried, but it’s the following

[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok thanks, that is the email I sent my above questions on Monday but I have not had a response. Maybe I'm just too impatient.
VERY unlike him, it may have gotten missed or went to spam. I would try again as o haven’t had an email I sent him go more than an hour without response, even late at night. Give it another shot.

·
Premium Member
2018 JGC Trailhawk
57 Posts
VERY unlike him, it may have gotten missed or went to spam. I would try again as o haven’t had an email I sent him go more than an hour without response, even late at night. Give it another shot.
He must of had his ears ringing because he just responded!! I'll need a special by pass cable (anyone have a good suggestion on vendor for one?) and pick up a PC.... So I'll secure that stuff.....sounds like I should consider adding the trans tune as well. I'm glad there is a solid option to go back, but It's unfortunate I am buying this twice since I already had paid for the GDE. Damn that dealership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Good luck guys, Like me, I think y’all will see this thing really shines in holding the gears instead of downshifting the second you touch an incline. Also definitely shows a willingness to get into the 8th gear unlike the AEM

·
Registered
138 Posts
He must of had his ears ringing because he just responded!! I'll need a special by pass cable (anyone have a good suggestion on vendor for one?) and pick up a PC.... So I'll secure that stuff.....sounds like I should consider adding the trans tune as well. I'm glad there is a solid option to go back, but It's unfortunate I am buying this twice since I already had paid for the GDE. Damn that dealership.
In my searches I came across these 2 - I have not pulled the trigger, so I cannot comment which is better (the first is a fair bit cheaper):

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
Just waiting on the hand held device so I can capture the AEM ECU program. Chis has been very responsive to my inquiries. Looking forward to getting a good running engine back. I too was part of the GDE crowd and missed the change to get the ECU to them before EPA.

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
USPS tried to deliver today but I was working. I have Spotlight Cam and thought she delivered the hand held. Nope requires a signature. So now I work tomorrow and go get it at the end of the day. Will post the process but the Ram1500 was pretty good looked at it twice. Would be nice to know that here is the name of the software package you will load. Here is what it looks like and when you are done. Will do what I can to document this. By the way Chris is super fast in responding...

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
Received the tuner today (Powergate). Followed the instructions which was to connect to the laptop with internet connection and update the Powergate using the usb to micro usb connection. Plugged OBDII cord into the Jeep and powered ignition on Powergate connected. Followed the instructions which said select Tuner, select correct made, model, engine (be sure to use the 4th selection not the 3rd which is for the transmission). Downloaded and was surprised it downloaded so quick. Waiting on feedback from Chris but I thought the ECU download would be fairly large. File was only 18kB so I am concerned what was captured was not the entire ECU file. Plugged the Powergate back into the laptop and saved the file as a ,usr which when uploading to the laptop it does it automatically.
Sent email with attached file to
[email protected]
I think everything is correct except the downloaded ECU file. Will await direction from Chris on this.
Reason for my concern is that the file downloaded in about 20 sec vs what I would expect to be minutes.
All I know more info when I have it.
Procedure was straight forward and easy to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Received the tuner today (Powergate). Followed the instructions which was to connect to the laptop with internet connection and update the Powergate using the usb to micro usb connection. Plugged OBDII cord into the Jeep and powered ignition on Powergate connected. Followed the instructions which said select Tuner, select correct made, model, engine (be sure to use the 4th selection not the 3rd which is for the transmission). Downloaded and was surprised it downloaded so quick. Waiting on feedback from Chris but I thought the ECU download would be fairly large. File was only 18kB so I am concerned what was captured was not the entire ECU file. Plugged the Powergate back into the laptop and saved the file as a ,usr which when uploading to the laptop it does it automatically.
[email protected]
I think everything is correct except the downloaded ECU file. Will await direction from Chris on this.
Reason for my concern is that the file downloaded in about 20 sec vs what I would expect to be minutes.
That sounds about right on the initial read. The new tune install takes a little longer but overall very easy process. Look forward to hearing your experience

·
Registered
848 Posts
[email protected]
Please keep us informed on how it all goes and how the tune compares to GDE Hot Tune back when it was available. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm a bit confused. For my $850 CAD do I get the tune and the tuner or is the tuner an additional cost with these guys? Their page says tuning device is available which makes it sound optional to me. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts