Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sorry guys, I'm a bit confused. For my $850 CAD do I get the tune and the tuner or is the tuner an additional cost with these guys? Their page says tuning device is available which makes it sound optional to me. Thanks!
It gets you the tune as well as the powergate handheld. Id imagine haven't updated the webpage as they just started using the hand tuners exclusively maybe 4-5 months ago.

I'm thinking about doing their Trans tune and that one comes with a separate powergate handheld as well. All included in the price.

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
Installed the flasher tuner and downloaded the ECU file. As reported emailed it off and received the tuned file same night. I waited until this am to install the tuner. You use the hand held tuner and select download and pick the location you saved the file to on your laptop. Downloaded to the tuner and to the JGC and powered up the electronics. Plugged the hand held in and went through a few steps like upload, select 20 or 40 hp, start. Uploaded in a couple minutes. Instructed to shut down the electronics unplug the device.

Observations
OK please keep in mind this is from a very short drive of 11 miles each way to work.
First thing I noticed is an improvement in turbo lag. Much much better, idle was faster too
Throttle response if different from GDE, What I mean is that the AEM POS was linear meaning you didn't get a kick of boost when hitting the throttle moderately hard and the MRtune is also more linear but will greater acceleration. GDE when you hit the throttle the same amount would ratchet up the boost and give you more of a push and was not linear but I liked it a lot.
I will be driving around 120 miles tomorrow and can see how it does on mpg.
Also the hunting of the transmission between 7th and 8th gear around 50-55 mph is gone. I will hold 8th gear as it did with the stock tune and the GDE tune (ECU only not tranny tune).
I like this very much because I have had the AEM tune for only a few weeks like 3 weeks and could not believe the piss poor implementation that causes this great ZF 8 spd to react that way.

OK you want to know.
Would I buy this again?
Yes I like the improvement to performance even if not a big boost but it is linear and is much improved and the transmission holding 8th gear is also very desirable.

What you get is the Powermate tuner shipped to your home (it has to be signed for so be sure when USPS delivers someone can sign for it) and instructions from Chris which are pretty simple to follow. I think I over thought the download into the hand held tuner because the file size was small. Also when downloading the file sent by Martin which was a 1MB by the way I was thinking I needed to do more but all I needed to do was plug the hand held into the laptop and let the menu open on the laptop and have it load into the tuner.
Tuner to Jeep install was also simple and straight forward.

Bear in mind that these are my observations and only reflect what I observed. I do think there is 40 hp there but have not pushed it to get that out of it yet because I was used to the GDE flash. I hope this helps and I am sure that others will make input. Feel free to ask any questions you wish.

Last note I was so disillusioned with the AEM that I bought a late model Wrangler Sahara. I was one of the first group to go for the JGC diesel and I am a diesel guy. But if this doesn't pan out it's gone after I get my money from FCA.

I really want to keep the diesel because the 4 years/ 48K miles is very attractive.

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
Update
Drove 120 miles 60 each way. I had a strong tail wind one way and head wind the other. Fuel econ much improved over all 29 mpg at around 65 mph. I did seen 31 over and 28 back.
I did have an opportunity to floor it passing other traffic a couple times. The push is still not what GDE provided but is very good. I am happy with the product and I think this will be a good long term solution.
Good news is that should FCA reflash the tuner has the program and can be reflashed over their reflash which is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I was one of the first group to go for the JGC diesel and I am a diesel guy. But if this doesn't pan out it's gone after I get my money from FCA.
Fun2drive, thanks for detailed update on the new tune. As part of the early group, I too was ready to go GDE after AEM but was too late, perhaps now a blessing. I love the EcoDiesel and had no issues other than normal recalls until AEM. The turbo lag was always lurking, but AEM made it much more prominent.

After 101K miles, 94K which I loved, my Ecodiesel will be gone in December. I ordered a 2020 with Hemi otherwise identical to my original 2014. If the 2021 model had planned a Gen3 diesel, I might have waited, but I love everything else about the current model. It is sad that FCA will no longer offer a diesel JGC, at least in the near future... even sadder what EPA did to the diesel platform in the USA. I'll keep watching this forum, the interest will always be there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Fun2drive, did you have the engine brake feature on your GDE tune? If so, how does this tune compare?
I had the original engine brake program on my GDE tune, in which it only engaged in gears 1-6 above 2700-2900 RPM (depending on altitude), which worked great towing in the mountains.
The features I miss the most about the hot tune are engine brake, no turbo lag and fuel economy (and less soot)... My local driving fuel economy has gone from 26.5 mpg w/tune to 23 after AEM.

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
I got the standard 40 hp tune and don't know if engine brake was part of the it or not. I know on my GDE tune it was not there didn't need it. My fuel econ is close to what I got before using GDE. I would contact Chris Munro about that question at MRTuning and see what he says. I am happy with it but do miss the increased boost I got with GDE. It is way better than AEM with little to no turbo lag and will move out but you need to push it hard. I am sure that the 40 hp is there just implemented differently as I posted...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got the standard 40 hp tune and don't know if engine brake was part of the it or not. I know on my GDE tune it was not there didn't need it. My fuel econ is close to what I got before using GDE. I would contact Chris Munro about that question at MRTuning and see what he says. I am happy with it but do miss the increased boost I got with GDE. It is way better than AEM with little to no turbo lag and will move out but you need to push it hard. I am sure that the 40 hp is there just implemented differently as I posted...
Thanks! (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was an owner of the original wk crd tunes by GDE. I loved that thing, but tragically it was totaled while I sat at a red light. I upgraded to a 2015 wk2 eco diesel and went to use GDE again, but I was to late. After doing a lot of research I found this site and and other sites talking about sofa king tune and MRtuning. Of all the post about sofa king I found only one guy that sang praises and no one else. So I emailed Chris from mrtuning and I didn’t get a response. I posted on their Facebook and received a response. I then went back and looked in my spam folder and Chris emailed me back answering all my questions. My fault on that one. I decided to go with the mrtuning stage 2 and I bought their turbo back exhaust and the resonator delete pipe. All arrived within days. And yes you have to sign for delivery. All products were exceptional quality!! I did have some major issues connecting the v band on the turbo and emailed Chris numerous times, Chris was always quick to respond and we exchanged pictures and he was extremely helpful. I installed the 40 hp tune as there is an option for 40 or 60. I was impressed with the performance although I cannot compare the GDE to the mrtuning due to being two different engines. I have already seen a climb in my mpg’s from the lie meter, I have not hand calculated it yet. I would have to say the customer service there was above and beyond any I could have imagined. If you are on the fence about a tune, I would say talk to Chris at ecodiesel Owners Canada and see for yourself. I would use them again and again and will be using them again for further upgrades.

·
Registered
17 Sub OB/17 Ridge
1,105 Posts
I have had both and I do like the MRTune but I like the push I got from GDE. It is all a matter of how things are implemented. I now have the tune and driven maybe 500 miles. My mileage is back but not to the level I had before. I would say I am getting 28-29 at 70 and GDE I was 30-31. The power and torque is there so much better than AEM.
I was so pissed I bought a late model Wrangler and will see how the MRTune holds up. I would do MRTune again too but miss GDE's initial push when leaving a light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2016 summit.

Updated with pc.

Plug into odb. Select dodge, ram, second entry with the Bosch engine code. Select to read stock file. Instructs to turn key to on position. Push button to run, with out actually starting car. Unable to read.

Also tried in acc, off, and running.

Doing something wrong or?
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered mine on February 4th, looks like there is a delay on the hand held device because Corona virus. :sick:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, have emailed them.
No solution yet...

Was informed sometimes a specific vehicle isn't in database or something of the scanner and instructed to email a log from it to the main tuner... They could then fix it.

They then informed me according to log it wasn't connecting to and communicating with the ECU... (Yes, that's the problemo... Still no idea why or any possible solutions)

He asked to make certain key was in keyed on position and not running. No info on what may be causing the issue as of yet... Asked if they would like a video.

Just wanted to hear if had the procedure right.

Hopefully will hear back again soon. Was really hoping to make a back up of stock file, rather enjoy driving it now... was really hoping for that peace of mind and Chrysler sent me a third reminder to get that AEM flash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, don't believe so... Was there ever a ECM recall/flash prior to this for 2016 GC? Could ask dealer about it.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts