Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EGR cooler failed the 11.26. This was evidenced by excessive vapor billowing from the tailpipes. It was replaced via recall during the 12.14-12.31 visit to the dealer. Below is redacted documentation. I was told by the technician that the 'catalyst'/catalytic converter/emissions piece there the DPF sensor is held was replaced because the sensor was seized. I do not see that documented now that I am reviewing the paperwork.
Upon leaving the dealer on 12.31, the glow plug light and CEL came on as I pulled out of their driveway. I circled around to return, where they found the glow plug had not been plugged back in. CEL and glow plug lights were no longer lit as I left the second time. Later into the evening on 12.31, both lights returned to the dash. Brought vehicle back AM on 01.03. It was reported that the glow plug needed replacement - which they were covering - and that my thermostat was giving an error requiring replacement - which they were not covering and my third part extended warranty would be, at a $100 deductible.
  • Could my EGR failing be related to either the glow plug or thermostat failing?
    • I do not believe it would interface with the glow plug, but plumbing would seem to interface with the thermostat.
  • Is there a list of associated items replaced and/or procedures done when the EGR fails?
    • I have concerns things may not have been done properly, e.g. I have seen reports of coolant reservoir replacement and coolant flushed on some online posts

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting - I also had my EGR replaced recently under the recall, and a couple of days later had both a glow plug error and my engine oil temp sensor fail :-/

Coincidence? Who knows... :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had your EGR cooler failed or just replaced proactively under the recall?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know what all SHOULD be replaced when the EGR cooler actually fails?

·
Registered
65 Posts
it depend on the damage, if any. when ours fail it did melt hole in the intake and they replaced it too, other than that probably few gaskets and seals

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I planned to argue the thermostat as part of it. Just didn’t know if any other plumbing parts of cooling system should have been replaced since contaminated.
I actually need to contact the dealer - it is pushing two weeks since they allegedly ordered the parts (glowplug and thermostat).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I planned to argue the thermostat as part of it. Just didn’t know if any other plumbing parts of cooling system should have been replaced since contaminated.
I actually need to contact the dealer - it is pushing two weeks since they allegedly ordered the parts (glowplug and thermostat).
Are they covering your glow plug replacement?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts