Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CRD EcoDiesel
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the new GDE compliant tunes shut the EGR valve? On the old tunes, the EGR was shut off and you were fine installing blocking plates and taking the EGR out. From the fact that it is "compliant", and that I can't find any mention of the EGR anymore, does this new tune even touch the EGR?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Do the new GDE compliant tunes shut the EGR valve? On the old tunes, the EGR was shut off and you were fine installing blocking plates and taking the EGR out. From the fact that it is "compliant", and that I can't find any mention of the EGR anymore, does this new tune even touch the EGR?
I believe it does not shut down EGR. The new GDE tune goes to work to clean up the exhaust from the engine that part gets routed back through the EGR and back into the engine at a much cleaner rate than stock. This is how I understand the new tune to operate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yes, the new GDE tunes leave the EGR active. EGR is not the devil most think it is as GDE has greatly cleaned up the combustion so less soot is being sent into the intake from the EGR. Don't let the active EGR stop you from buying a great tune package. Feedback so far looks great.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Since you posted in past how EGR valve was devil for diesel engines on our Jeeps without GDE tune closing EGR valve.
Please post some links how GDE has greatly reduced soot into our intake from EGR valve with new tune and open EGR valve? Could you also post testing results you relied on for this statement you make, GDE has greatly Cleaned up combustion.
We all want to see the facts, not just take your word.
Automobile manufacturers spend $ Billions on R&D are you saying GDE found way to GREATLY cleanup combustion on diesel motors? If so GDE will make much more money selling this technology to the automotive industry.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Since you posted in past how EGR valve was devil for diesel engines on our Jeeps without GDE tune closing EGR valve.
Please post some links how GDE has greatly reduced soot into our intake from EGR valve with new tune and open EGR valve? Could you also post testing results you relied on for this statement you make, GDE has greatly Cleaned up combustion.
We all want to see the facts, not just take your word.
Automobile manufacturers spend $ Billions on R&D are you saying GDE found way to GREATLY cleanup combustion on diesel motors? If so GDE will make much more money selling this technology to the automotive industry.
I would love to see a link to anywhere I've said EGR is the devil or worse than pilot injection. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Don't be so naive to think that, because FCA has deep pockets, that their tuning is any better or more intelligent than GDE's. You do know GDE consists of former software engineers from FCA, right?

You don't have to look any further that regen interval to get a good idea of soot production. FCA and GDE have different goals when it comes to tuning. FCA decided a smoother quieter engine is more important than a soot free intake and engine. They also gave up a few mpg in the process. It's all about marketing. GDE is all about efficiency and engine longevity.

·
Registered
CRD EcoDiesel
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For GDE to have “tunes” that FCA isn’t using, I would think it’s either
  • they figured out something while working for FCA and kept it to themselves until leaving FCA
  • there were options (GDE’s tunes) that FCA isn’t utilizing due to undesirable consequences, like a louder engine, worse emissions profiles, more wear, LESS wear (FCA wouldn’t exactly like a near immortal car, would they)
When GDE wasn’t attempting to be CARB compliant, I felt that just closing the EGR was worth paying for the tune since removing exhaust gas from the intake would reduce failure rates enough to cover any consequences of other aspects of the tune. If you have money just burning a hole in your pocket and don’t keep a car past 5 years, you may not care though. I don’t care about a slightly louder engine but I do care about higher failure rates on components.

Now that they are trying to be compliant, I just don’t see any compelling reason to buy the pie in the sky claims that GDE loves us all way more than FCA and is making software changes that aren’t going to have any negative consequences on the engine. I wouldn’t be surprised if users of the GDE compliant tunes are going to see earlier and more frequent failures.

Not to mention that I think GDE raised prices by about $500. Probably to pay for the $50,000 settlement they made with CARB. Seems like GDE is expecting customers to pay more, for less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts