Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Grand Cherokee electrical system is acting up, voltage fluctuates, you can see the light intensity of all the lights fluctuating, battery light intermittently comes on, signals or high beams sometimes don't work, wipers come on for no reason. Starts fine, gets me around all day but I hate standing in the middle of the road wanting to make a left turn and the signals stop working. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar issue as well on my 2005 WK. the gages and systems indicators would go haywire all of a sudden. It is most likely something is shorting to ground. The dealer was unable to find the problem after many attempts and changing lots of expensive item under warranty. In my case the battery tested good, I even swapped on out of another vehicle to prove it out. Turned out to be the starter motor itself was shorting to ground intermittently through the windings internal to the unit. Basically the varnish or coating on the coils was breaking down allowing a small amount of voltage to pass to the case, (ground). One day the starter failed. After I replaced it, the issue never happened again and it has been years since then with no issues. When I discussed this with my dealer they told me they had no way to test for something like this. I hope your problem is not this hard to find but if you are running out of ideas the starter motor can be checked for this by an auto electric repair shop, (if you can find on anymore), most have equipment that can test for shorted windings. If not go to a junkyard and buy one to try, this will at least save you some money. Good luck and write back when you solve this issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts