Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Overland with the 5.7 hemi

Been fighting an issue for a few months now. Serv 4wd light and traction control off light came on. No drivability issues.
Checked my motor connections and they were clean and tight.
I removed the ELSD motor, took it apart and cleaned it. Lights were off for a couple days.
I replaced the motor with a cheap one from Amazon. It worked for about a day.
Had dealer flash new motor and ELSD module. Lights came right back.
Bought a Dorman motor. This worked on and off for a few weeks. But ultimately the lights were still coming on.
Took it to a dealer because I'm lost. They told me when they see this issue, mother Jeep tells them to replace the motor. If the lights still come on, replace the module, if lights still come on, look at wiring.

I ordered a module based on what the dealer told me but now I can't find where it's located. I was told it's under the passenger seat, but I didn't see it there. Even checked multiple times.

So, my question (sorry it took so long to get here) is where is the ELSD module located and how do I get to it?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,767 Posts
ELSD module is located under the rear drivers seat. If you remove the bolts for the seat legs you can lift the rear cushion up and flip the carpet forward. It will be right there with three plugs.

Reactions: YANKEE

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
565 Posts
There are also some components under the drivers seat, not sure what is in there but there is stuff in there as well.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,767 Posts
Under the drivers seat is the control module for the two speed transfer case and air suspension if equipped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine had a similar issue, talked to 'old mate' at Grand Cherokee Spares in Melbourne and he suggested a new transfer case module, it did the trick. Literally a 2 min fix, under the seat pop the hatch, unplug it, rip it out and put the new one in, done. Mine threw a heap of codes in various modules, checked with AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp, thanks to IAmTodd I found the module very easily and replaced it....

Lights are still on. :(

Pulled code c1482 with AlfaOBD which is for the rear differential motor temp sensor. I know this is part of the motor.

What are the chances I NEED to replace the motor with an OEM one? Doesn't seem likely to me but I've seen crazier things. The motor that's in it now is made by Dorman, which is usually a good, reputable company.

Does anyone know if there is a specific wire related to the temp sensor that I could check?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,767 Posts
I would ring out the wiring from the module down to the motor to make sure there is not a break in a wire as a first step.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would ring out the wiring from the module down to the motor to make sure there is not a break in a wire as a first step.
Do you know which wire it would be? Location or color? I'm worried that temp signal is delivered over the bus system which would rule out a wire.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,767 Posts
I don't have the diagram on me right now but there are only 10 or so wires to check. The temp sensor has two wires. It is not done via CAN to the eLSD module. I can check on colors when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have the diagram on me right now but there are only 10 or so wires to check. The temp sensor has two wires. It is not done via CAN to the eLSD module. I can check on colors when I get home tonight.
That would be awesome. Thank you very much. I suppose I could just check for voltage on all of them but colors would help greatly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked the connections at the motor, they were tight and clean. Unplugged them and the connections at the module and checked for continuity, all was good. Plugged the motor back in and checked for a short to ground, none found.

I'm at a loss now. Think the Dorman motor I got is junk?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't speak personally on the quality of Dorman parts, but on a youtube auto repair channel I follow, South Main Auto Repair, he strongly suggests staying away from anything Dorman. It seems he's seen more failures than not with those products, and in cases where its OEM or Dorman, he STRONGLY suggests going OEM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't speak personally on the quality of Dorman parts, but on a youtube auto repair channel I follow, South Main Auto Repair, he strongly suggests staying away from anything Dorman. It seems he's seen more failures than not with those products, and in cases where its OEM or Dorman, he STRONGLY suggests going OEM.
Well dang. I always thought that they created quality parts, but I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,767 Posts
Their parts are hit or miss. Some work, some are expected to be DOA.

I would search for a used OEM motor on ebay are new they are quite pricy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts