Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had an engine light come on in my 2013 Wrangler Sport, 2dr. 6 cyl. Code was P0128. I found the code issue. My coolant reservoir was low. No leaks found. I added fluid and cleared the code (disconnected the battery for an hour). No re emergence of the engine light yet, but I haven’t put much mileage on due to self isolating.
Is this a common issue?
Something I need to be concerned about?
Really enjoy this site. Some great info on here.
Thanks in advance for any response.
Engine Code P0128 on your 2013 jeep wrangler
Definition: Coolant thermostat temperature below regulating temperature

What does that mean?

The powertrain control module (PCM) tracks how long it takes for the engine of a vehicle to reach and maintain the correct operating temperature. When the correct engine operating temperature is reached, the powertrain control module orders the fuel system to enter “closed loop” where readings from the oxygen sensors are used to maintain the efficient air to fuel ratio of 14.7:1. Most PCMs mandate that the engine coolant temperature sensor record temperatures above 160º F within 15 minutes of the engine starting. Additionally, once the 160º F threshold is achieved, the recorded engine temperature must not fall below 160º F during operation. The PCM will record if either of these two criteria are not met. If either fault is recorded again on the next engine startup, code P0128 is triggered.

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
What Jeep model and year do you have so your question can be moved to the correct forum area for attention?

Jim
Forum Moderator

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Limited.
60 Posts
Change the thermostat, easy job. My wife has a 2012 grand Caravan, same engine. Not a common problem but not unusual either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. You tubed how to do it. Seems straight up. I’m not a mechanic but am wrench handy. More of a carpenter handyman tho. Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts