Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help out there diagnosing this sound?
Tried to upload .mov file but not allowed.
Its underhood tick-tick-tick-tick-tick... about 4 times per second while idling

·
Registered
75th Anniversary
942 Posts
You are not using 87 octane right? For v6 when using regular there could be engine knock in the manual. Could be the same thing

·
Registered
75th Anniversary
942 Posts
What octane are you using? I thought V6 JGC calls for regular 87 octane which I use on MY 18 V6.
87 too haven't really notice any knocks but that's what the manual saying what could happen

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
87 too haven't really notice any knocks but that's what the manual saying what could happen
At idle?

The O.M. may warn of engine knock when using a lower octane (and you should never use lower than recommended octane) but the Engine Management system is pretty good at preventing it, as long as it falls within the recommended octane level. They warn of it, because it not likely to happen, it is more likely to happen that if you were using the Optimal Octane for the engine.

I have used 87 in my 2011 Hemi, never got knock or pre-igntion/detonation symptoms. And knock/detonation sounds more like the ting of hitting a ball peen hammer on steel as hard as you can, but muffled by a layer of steel. Because that is basically what is happening.... ....its not really a tic sound....

There are a lot of things that can cause a tic noise at idle, engine knock is possible, but less likely then the many other reasons.....

Have you checked the oil level? What is your oil pressure at idle? Low oil pressure/level might result in some lifter lash at idle.....
Have you put your ears up to the exhaust manifold, it could be an exhaust leak....
Put your ear near the Purge Solenoid, a worn one might be noisey as it cycles at idle....
Whats your engine mileage, when was the last time you changed the spark plugs?
When was the last time you put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts