Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 5.7 has a vibration at idle. No check engine lights. Starting it up I did noting the engine sounded like it was jumping around, had the hood open and went from reverse to drive to see if it has excessive movement but it didnt look excessive

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,123 Posts
My 2013 5.7 has a vibration at idle. No check engine lights. Starting it up I did noting the engine sounded like it was jumping around, had the hood open and went from reverse to drive to see if it has excessive movement but it didnt look excessive
Did you only have it running at idle speed when going from reverse to drive? While in drive and also try while in reverse ..hold the brake on and give the engine progressively more gas, perhaps up to 1500 or 2000 rpm and see how much the engine climbs up. Normally it will twist a bit on the mounts but a broken one will let one side of the engine start to climb out of the engine compartment. Be gentle, don't gun it. I've had engine with broken mounts bang on the underside of the hood under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you only have it running at idle speed when going from reverse to drive? While in drive and also try while in reverse ..hold the brake on and give the engine progressively more gas, perhaps up to 1500 or 2000 rpm and see how much the engine climbs up. Normally it will twist a bit on the mounts but a broken one will let one side of the engine start to climb out of the engine compartment. Be gentle, don't gun it. I've had engine with broken mounts bang on the underside of the hood under hard acceleration.
I only gave it a little throttle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Probably the mounts. look for any stains, under where parked. Looks like rusty water color, if so that will confirm it's mounts. They are filled with hydraulic fluid, and you can't detect a broken mount by giving it gas in gear and watching for movement. I replaced mine when I had the exact problem with my 2013 G/C.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, you WILL NOT be able to detect any movement by giving it gas while in gear! When you get it on the lift, if the mounts are bad you will see what looks like rust on the undercarriage right under where the mounts are.
I get that, I will check for fluid or anything around them. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
Again, you WILL NOT be able to detect any movement by giving it gas while in gear! When you get it on the lift, if the mounts are bad you will see what looks like rust on the undercarriage right under where the mounts are.
You can see engine motion in gear holding the brake with a little gas with good motor mounts, its excessive engine motion with bad mounts.

Depends. I detected lots of engine motion when my drivers side mount was completely shot (like torn to shreds), and the passenger side was bad. Not only could I see by putting it in gear and watching the engine motion when giving it some gas, I could feel it when stomping the gas pedal and the front end would rotate enough to steer me half out of my lane.

My mounts have gone bad again, enough I can feel the engine vibe when in MDS, I can't see excessive engine motion with the test, but more than when they were new. Big thing convincing me the mounts are bad is the engine is now leaning toward the passenger side, i.e. the passenger of the engine has dropped down some, as well the rubber cover (umbrella) of the mount is torn up.

I ordered new OEM mounts (previous were aftermarket and didn't last as long) and one of them came leaking right out of the box and sent it back.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I did new mounts this morning, 3 hrs total so not bad.
Bad news is vibration is still there. I’m going to do the trans mount as a process of elimination.
I did notice one of the grounds from the manifold was broken, I’m going to fix that as well.
Any other options anyone can think of?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.