Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was driving the other day when the gas light came on. I was curious to see what the EVIC would show with the gas light on and also to see if it would coincide with standard "30 miles till empty" (DTE), but to my dismay, the DTE showed up blank. Anyone else ever see this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
Same thing happens on the 14 models. Sucks since my Ram will go all the way to 0 and is pretty damn accurate allowing me to stretch the time between fillings if necessary.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same thing happens on the 14 models. Sucks since my Ram will go all the way to 0 and is pretty damn accurate allowing me to stretch the time between fillings if necessary.
Yea... On all my other cars (jeeps included), it would show a countdown to zero as well. Strange how you're just supposed to guess once the light comes on.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I believe once it determines that DTE is less than 30 miles, it will just show that Low Fuel until you fill up or you run out of gas.
this is how my WK works as well.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is how my WK works as well.
I just found it odd. Well, I learned something new today then.. It was by design. Oh Jeep

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably to discourage folks who like to push the envelope and end up clogging the fuel lines with crap from the bottom of the tank. I am guilty ;)
Guilty as charged. Well, you brought up an other interesting topic... Any particular fuel line/tank cleaner you recommend? I remember reading a while ago that it wasn't good to use that kind of product, but then again, I have never had any problems.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think I read a post some where recently that some one ran their jeep down to 0 dte and there was still almost 2 gallons in the tank still. So at 30 miles till empty I bet there is between 3 and 5 gallons in the tank still

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I read a post some where recently that some one ran their jeep down to 0 dte and there was still almost 2 gallons in the tank still. So at 30 miles till empty I bet there is between 3 and 5 gallons in the tank still
Comforting, but still, my 1998 limited was accurate as shit when it came to dte.. Why the guess game with a car 15 years newer?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ok my WK2, with the light on I ran it an additional 20+ miles before refueling and after filling up, I was only able to squeeze 22 gallons in the tank. I think the tank size is 25 gallons meaning there's still a good amount of fuel in there, so I don't panic as much driving a bit with the light on.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok my WK2, with the light on I ran it an additional 20+ miles before refueling and after filling up, I was only able to squeeze 22 gallons in the tank. I think the tank size is 25 gallons meaning there's still a good amount of fuel in there, so I don't panic as much driving a bit with the light on.
24.6 gallons (Per the site).

·
Registered
325 Posts
On mine, if I have the fuel dte on the screen before the light comes on, I will get accurate DTE until 0. If i switch out of it, it acts like I lost my place and then doesn't want to tell me anymore.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Another reason to not get down below 1/4 tank is that on some vehicles, the fuel pump is submerged in the fuel tank which keeps it from running hot.

Low fuel = nothing to cool the fuel filter

Not sure if that is the case on our WK2's, though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Another reason to not get down below 1/4 tank is that on some vehicles, the fuel pump is submerged in the fuel tank which keeps it from running hot.

Low fuel = nothing to cool the fuel filter

Not sure if that is the case on our WK2's, though.
That's prolly the whole point of when ur DTE is 0 and u still have 2 gallons in the tank. Had my wj for 10 years and ran it down to 0 prolly over 40 times with no issues. My wj also had the 2 gallon safety net

·
Registered
213 Posts
In order to make less gas stops, when I had my Lexus I would fill it up once the gas light would come on, but it would count down the miles left to empty.. I took it more than once to 1 mile to go... I was dissapointed in the Jeep that it doesn't count down until the very end... I guess one of those things American car makers don't think about

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In order to make less gas stops, when I had my Lexus I would fill it up once the gas light would come on, but it would count down the miles left to empty.. I took it more than once to 1 mile to go... I was dissapointed in the Jeep that it doesn't count down until the very end... I guess one of those things American car makers don't think about
I had a 93 GC limited V6 and it had the countdown feature when the light came on. Not sure why they did away with it, but its gone now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.