Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been reading some past posts on Extended Warranties, but I'm not sure I'm able to decide my best option even after reading them. I'm hoping to lay out my thought process to see if I should get one since it seems there's a good mix of supporters and anti-extended warranty people.

I just got a 2014 GC overland with almost all the extras (minus the package with adaptive cruise and blind spot) with 47,000 miles and it was Certified PreOwned extending the factory warranty to be 7 year/100k instead of 5 year (so I still have 53k left from my understanding). I also have 3 month/3000 miles from when I bought it a couple days ago.

I drive around 20 - 22000 miles per year. I might get that mileage down if I carpool, but I don't want to bet on that. I bought the extended warranty, they discounted from $2200 to $1600 with a $0 deductible. I'm told this is bumper to bumper up to the 100000 mark - so 53000 miles left. It'll be about 2 and a half to 3 years from my current driving habbits.

The last car I had, I just bought the powertrain warranty, but that car's powertrain warranty was going to expire in under 10000 miles. That ended up saving me $40. because of the $100 deductible. I didn't get any delays or hassle, though like some have mentioned on this forums about other extended warranties.

At first I was told things like shocks were included in this, it even lists it in the pamphlet. Then today I'm told it would not (which is what I would have guessed if not for the pamphlet saying it included macpherson shocks/struts).

With the $0 deductible and there being way more things on this Jeep that can break than my previous car (2009 Malibu 1LT) I'm wondering what the chances of things breaking in less than 3 years are? I could get a lifetime warranty but that's waaay more money. The only other perk is that I can renew the warranty before this one is up, whereas I can't get it at all if I were to not have the warranty. I suppose I could just get the chryslerwarranty/moparwarranty/ziegler warranty I've seen on here when I get to higher mileage, but I'm sure I'll be paying way more money.

So, if shocks/struts aren't covered, my bigger worries would be things like the uconnect system and heated steering wheel/seats, moving headlights, etc. I can't imagine they'll last forever, but they'll probably last beyond the 100,000 mark? I could get a used uconnect stereo by that time I'm sure, but how much would a junkyard one be?

What do you all think? 2.5-3 years and 53,000 miles - what can go wrong that's not wear and tear? Would you say most things will break after that, or are there high chances that this stuff goes before then - and would i be able to get parts in total for under $1600? I can do a lot of things, and know mechanics who can do other things for low cost especially if I bring the parts.

Thanks for any advice. I have until tomorrow night to cancel with full refund. After that, it's prorated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is easy... if you plan on putting 100k miles or keeping for 6 or more years get the lifetime service contract. Jeeps start to have issues at 50k and the slowly deteriorate little by little each year.

So will cry bs but Chrysler is notorious for stuff going to hell right after the bumper to bumper ends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of hard to folllow all that you are talking about. How long do you intend to keep the jeep?
Haha, yes I threw a lot of stuff out there. I would say at least 4-5 years. I'd like to say I'd keep it for more years, but The longest I've had a car is just over 4 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is easy... if you plan on putting 100k miles or keeping for 6 or more years get the lifetime service contract. Jeeps start to have issues at 50k and the slowly deteriorate little by little each year.

So will cry bs but Chrysler is notorious for stuff going to hell right after the bumper to bumper ends.
I hear a lot of that about powertrain type stuff, but does that mean accessories will fall apart, too?

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,794 Posts
Haha, yes I threw a lot of stuff out there. I would say at least 4-5 years. I'd like to say I'd keep it for more years, but The longest I've had a car is just over 4 years.
Did you buy the actual mopar service contrat or is it an aftermarket? If its an aftermarket cancel it. The mopars are not bumper to bumper, they cover non maintenance mechanical items. For the amount of miles you have and intend to put on the jeep and the time you intend to keep it you need something that will cover you to 130k-140k miles. Get rid of your current service contract thats capped at 100k and get the mopar lifetime maxcare service contract. Get the $100 deductable it will save you money. Try zeigler they will give you a good price. Should be around $2300 or something like that, i paid $2100. Lots of stuff to break one quadra lift compressor and you have nearly paid for the service contract. Powertrain is not as big of a concern as all the other systems that can break and cost ridiculous money.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I have a '14...so far its been maintenance, recalls plus 3 sunroof motors and 3 sunroof controllers...one of each after the bumper to bumper ended. ChryCo covered it though, outside of my lifetime warranty. I'd get it, my '16 on order will have lifetime maxcare from the day of delivery. Too much can go wrong, especially with all the electronics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you buy the actual mopar service contrat or is it an aftermarket? If its an aftermarket cancel it. The mopars are not bumper to bumper, they cover non maintenance mechanical items. For the amount of miles you have and intend to put on the jeep and the time you intend to keep it you need something that will cover you to 130k-140k miles. Get rid of your current service contract thats capped at 100k and get the mopar lifetime maxcare service contract. Get the $100 deductable it will save you money. Try zeigler they will give you a good price. Should be around $2300 or something like that, i paid $2100. Lots of stuff to break one quadra lift compressor and you have nearly paid for the service contract. Powertrain is not as big of a concern as all the other systems that can break and cost ridiculous money.
I don't think it was Mopar, i think royal something. I'll have to look.

With quadra lift, what happens when it goes out? Is the suspension stiff? Will the car drive just like a normal car instead? Can it just be removed when it breaks? I don't really care about that system, it just came with a package with other stuff i wanted so not much of a choice.

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,794 Posts
I don't think it was Mopar, i think royal something. I'll have to look.

With quadra lift, what happens when it goes out? Is the suspension stiff? Will the car drive just like a normal car instead? Can it just be removed when it breaks? I don't really care about that system, it just came with a package with other stuff i wanted so not much of a choice.
If it's not a mopar service contract get rid of it, it will cause you nothing but grief, it will be a royal pain in the ass. Third party service contracts can be a little cheaper but become a nightmare when you try to collect on them. Only get the mopar.

you can't drive around with the quadralift system broken and depressurized. It will not leave you sitting and you can drive it to get it fixed but it will be a rough low ride bottomed out on the bumperstops. Quadra lift was just one example, think of the various other systems, uconnect, hvac, power windows, power seats, sunroof. Plenty of people reporting water pump failures, which would be covered under powertrain but not after 100k unless you buy the extended. Not to mention the multitude of control modules running these systems. If you intend to keep the jeep for a decent amohnt of miles which you are the mopare maxcare lifetime is worth it. remember the days of taking a car in and come out with $150 repair bill are gone now the bills are $1500 or whatever, a few of those would get into some money.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,850 Posts
don't forget power steering racks. Replaced one very early on both my '14 Summit and '15 SRT....went thru 2 HVAC blower motor replacements, broken washer nozzle/supply line elbow, a quad-zillion flashes/updates/reprograms that are all chargeable outside of 3/36 factory btb...just match coverage to ownership length, no gap in coverage IMHO....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's not a mopar service contract get rid of it, it will cause you nothing but grief, it will be a royal pain in the ass. Third party service contracts can be a little cheaper but become a nightmare when you try to collect on them. Only get the mopar.

you can't drive around with the quadralift system broken and depressurized. It will not leave you sitting and you can drive it to get it fixed but it will be a rough low ride bottomed out on the bumperstops. Quadra lift was just one example, think of the various other systems, uconnect, hvac, power windows, power seats, sunroof. Plenty of people reporting water pump failures, which would be covered under powertrain but not after 100k unless you buy the extended. Not to mention the multitude of control modules running these systems. If you intend to keep the jeep for a decent amohnt of miles which you are the mopare maxcare lifetime is worth it. remember the days of taking a car in and come out with $150 repair bill are gone now the bills are $1500 or whatever, a few of those would get into some money.
Is moparwarrantys.com where I would get the legit mopar warranty, or does it have to be done at the dealer? Do I have to get it immediately or can I get it later on if I chose to?

I defintieyl get there are more things that can fail than quadra lift, but since I dont' care about that feature, is it possible to just put springs in place of the air bags?

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,794 Posts
Is moparwarrantys.com where I would get the legit mopar warranty, or does it have to be done at the dealer? Do I have to get it immediately or can I get it later on if I chose to?

I defintieyl get there are more things that can fail than quadra lift, but since I dont' care about that feature, is it possible to just put springs in place of the air bags?
does not need to be done at the dealer you can buy them on line. just make sure they say mopar lifetime maxcare. here is the link to zeigler which is a good price. if it is more than 4 years from vehicle in service date you cant get the lifetime so you need to get before that if you want lifetime

Get A Genuine Mopar Vehicle Extended Warranty at Low Prices!

there are some threads around on feasibility of replacing the quadra lift with standard setup do some search they should come up

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
My parents learned this lesson the hard way - they bought their Jeep from a dealer that, for whatever reason, didn't deal with Mopar contracts but third party ones. Their '15 GC had to get towed when they were visiting us. Was a nightmare to deal with, in terms of the rental. Jeep was fixed under the bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,794 Posts
My parents learned this lesson the hard way - they bought their Jeep from a dealer that, for whatever reason, didn't deal with Mopar contracts but third party ones. Their '15 GC had to get towed when they were visiting us. Was a nightmare to deal with, in terms of the rental. Jeep was fixed under the bumper to bumper.
dealers will often times push these third party service contracts because they can make more profit on them then their own mopar contracts. dealers care about making the most money not getting someone a service contract they can actually use. they tried to push that junk on me and I had to push them to the mopar.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got mine from Clay at Zeller Motors. $2315.00.

Reactions: BigJosh

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
dealers will often times push these third party service contracts because they can make more profit on them then their own mopar contracts. dealers care about making the most money not getting someone a service contract they can actually use. they tried to push that junk on me and I had to push them to the mopar.
The only third party one I have is on my motorcycle, but that's directly through the dealer, which is fine - they're the only cycle dealer in the area haha. All y car warranties have been through the manufacturer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suggest getting the MaxCare warranty and Road Hazard Warranty. I went through Zeigler Auto Group; Lifetime for $2340.00 with a $100 deductible per instance. Interest free financing. I also paid for the Road Hazard warranty for $360. This warranty is for 7 years. With 20' rims and potholes in the DMV, it's well worth it. You get four rims and four tires replaced under this warranty. I've had one of each replaced so far; $260 to replace the tire, $400 to replace a bent rim. If you can afford it, it's well worth it with all of the electronics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m new to the Jeep family. I’m so excited. I bought a new 2019 JGC Limited X With a bunch of bells and whistles.
I was brain dead Fromm all the paper signing the night we bought the Jeep. I went with a 8 year 75,000 warranty through Chrysler for around $1,860. We can cancel through next week. That’s the only reason I did it that night. I couldn’t think anymore. I was thinking with all the electronics involved in this vehicle it might be a good idea.

The Chrysler I bought it through also gives a lifetime power train warranty at no cost.

After reading this and other threads it sounds like going through Ziegler is best if I do decide to keep a warranty.

I bought my vehicle with 22 miles on it. It’s just over 1,000 now 3 weeks later. I generally put 10-12,000 miles on per year.

I did get a quote from Ziegler but there was not an option for a lifetime warranty. How and where do you get that option? The only one I saw said 7 years unlimited mileage. I don’t know if the one through the dealer was third party. It sounds like if it was I should cancel that. Advice?

I don’t like paying warranties and never have. This is the first new car I’ve ever bought and with the new technology I’m unsure what to do. I drive my cars for a LONG time.

My Saturn Vue was a 2006 I bought in 2008 with 20,000 miles on it. It now has 180,000 miles on it. I wanted awd and something safer for me and my family while not putting money into an old fwd car.

·
Super Moderator
8,795 Posts
I did get a quote from Ziegler but there was not an option for a lifetime warranty. How and where do you get that option?
The lifetime option is no longer available.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts