Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm super happy with my '17 Laredo now 3 weeks in and I'm considering an extended warranty.

Mine is certified with 40k so I already have powertrain coverage to 100k

Mopar is offering full bumper to bumper till 2025 and 100k for $2400 with 24 month no interest financing.

Anybody find a better deal?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm super happy with my '17 Laredo now 3 weeks in and I'm considering an extended warranty.

Mine is certified with 40k so I already have powertrain coverage to 100k

Mopar is offering full bumper to bumper till 2025 and 100k for $2400 with 24 month no interest financing.

Anybody find a better deal?
Check out chryslerwarrantydirect.com. They have the best prices that I have found.

·
Registered
JGC
160 Posts
@Janko On a Laredo it's a toss up on whether or not you'll need one. You don't have the two most expensive tickets ... QL and Hemi. Your likely looking at a Radiator, Thermostat, Water Pump, AC Line or two, Shocks, Blend Door, Wheel Hub Bearing, etc. So $2400 plus deductibles vs. $XXXX in repairs, some you might be able to perform yourself. The piece of mine of having the Warranty is nice and if you decide to get the MaxCare service agreement, I'd look into the 8 year 125K mile option. I wish that one was available when I purchased my MC SA.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If you have Geico insurance check out their extra mechanical breakdown insurance if eligible which is really cheap all things considered.
I have that and some platinum plan which i forget the name of when i bought my GC.
I'll see how it all plays out once (hopefully not) i have a serious issue with my TrailHawk GC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the Mopar maximum care is bumper to bumper coverage just like new car 3/36 just extended to 8/100 and because it's already certified with powertrain coverage it's 2/3 the cost of anyone else. I'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah good points to consider. I don't have Geico but I might check with my insurance to see if they have an option.
And I'll get a quote on 125k to compare.

Thanks for the input

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
Yeah the Mopar maximum care is bumper to bumper coverage just like new car 3/36 just extended to 8/100 and because it's already certified with powertrain coverage it's 2/3 the cost of anyone else. I'm gonna do it.
The Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract in some respects is better than the OEM warranty because it includes a few things like loaner/rental, etc., that do not come with the OEM warranty. It's also "exclusionary", meaning it covers everything except a few specifically listed things which are largely "disposable wear items".

·
Registered
102 Posts
The thing I don’t like about maxcare is the warranty starts from the time the vehicle was first put into service. So you have 2 warranties going at the same time until the bumper to bumper expires. if You buy the 8 yr maxcare plan it’s really only a 5 yr extended plan. Do all manufacturers warranties work like this?

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
The plan isn't a "warranty"...it's an extended service contract. It says that right in the contract language. Some features of it start at day one, such as the loaner/rental even when the OEM warranty is still in force. The price is for the term after the OEM warranty runs out, even if you blow through the miles early like I did. You can buy the plan at any time up until 48 mos/48K miles...the risk in waiting is pretty much price increases or changes in plan coverage. And yes, many manufacturer extended service contracts are structured the same way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It’s your money and you can do with it what you want.

I’ve put about $50 parts and an hour of my time into my 2012 JC in the past 8 years and 150,000 miles. All other work was warranty or preventative maintenance. I don’t buy any vehicle that I expect will cost me thousands in non-covered repairs over it’s normal life.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The '19 and '20 JGC's we've bought have an incredible amount of electronics in addition to all the normal things that can go wrong. $2,500 is just peace of mind when you spend $40K that you have a capped cost over the next 8 years or 125K miles. It's actually the first time in my 57 years that I've bought an extended service contract. And honestly, I'll be quite pleased if I never have to use either one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We had the lifetime MaxCare on our Wrangler that I paid $1,950 for back in 2013. We traded that Jeep in yesterday but over the 7.5 years that we owned it the MaxCare covered around $5,000 worth of repairs. I also have the same plan on my 2018 GC. It's still too new to get much out of my $2,650 investment but I plan on keeping it 10+ years and I'm sure it will be put to good use eventually.

I will be buying an 8 year plan for our new Recon sometime over the next 12,000 miles but I talked to my go to guy who has the absolute lowest price on these (Tom Winkels) and he said there's no price increase until I go over 12,000 miles, so I don't see any need to rush it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The '19 and '20 JGC's we've bought have an incredible amount of electronics in addition to all the normal things that can go wrong. $2,500 is just peace of mind when you spend $40K that you have a capped cost over the next 8 years or 125K miles. It's actually the first time in my 57 years that I've bought an extended service contract. And honestly, I'll be quite pleased if I never have to use either one.
My sentiments exactly.
I always get an extended when buying a new vehicle.
They let me sleep at night which is well worth the cost of admission whether its used or not.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bought a Maxcare warranty when I bought my 2014 Summit in 2016. When I bought her, she had 26k miles; now has 116k. Things covered so far:

• water pump
  • both motor mounts
  • front and rear sway bars
  • control arm
  • blend door actuator gear for AC
  • steering column
  • passenger seat power bracket (the entire bracket that holds the seat together had to be replaced)

Absolutely 100% worth it. It has already paid for itself. Had a loaner each time as well. The parts/repairs in my list easily surpass $8,000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again all for the input.
I pulled the trigger on the warranty and there's a section that states non-coverage for issues relating to modifications such as oversized tires.
I am planning on going up to 265/65/18 from the stock 265/60/18's.
Now I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought a warranty through my credit union when I bought mine. it was 690 dollars up to 85k miles or 7 years.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
I bought a warranty through my credit union when I bought mine. it was 690 dollars up to 85k miles or 7 years.
It's likely what you purchased isn't anything like the Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service contract from FC. The contract covers everything except a few things that are excluded. Most third party contracts are not that generous...but yes, some do cost a whole lot less.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,286 Posts
It's likely what you purchased isn't anything like the Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service contract from FC. The contract covers everything except a few things that are excluded. Most third party contracts are not that generous...but yes, some do cost a whole lot less.
Agree with Jim.

Basically if it doesn't show up in your Mopar Owner Connect Profile You didn't buy a Mopar Maxcare Plan. Plenty of 3rd parties call their plans Maxcare and dealerships push 3rd parties sadly as there is HUGE profit margins in them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts